News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Puryear, TN KD AAR - June 29-30, 2019

Started by Google, July 02, 2019, 09:49:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Google

It was a gorgeous, but hot, weekend for a KD at the Henry County Gun Club in Puryear, TN.  It is a beautiful range and we are always grateful to be able to squeeze an event in their busy schedule.

Eight hardy Americans gathered in the classroom Saturday morning to learn about the fine points of trajectory and strategy for shooting a KD before heading to the range.  We spent the rest of the day gathering DOPE on rifles and shooting for score along the way.  When we tallied scores we found that 4 of the 8 shooters had achieved qualifying scores.   ^:)^
Robert (Tennessee Beast) confirmed he knows what he is about on the KD line.  O0
But wait, it gets better. The remaining 3 qualifiers were first time attendees at a KD and achieved the score on their first ever KDAQT.   ^:)^ ^:)^
Way to go Jimmy, Clark, and Bryan!
But wait again, . . . it gets EVEN better than that.  Bryan shot a PERFECT 50 on his first KDAQT!   :bow: :bow: :bow:

On Sunday we gathered in the classroom to talk about range estimation then went to the range to put that knowledge into practice.  It turned out to be a little more difficult than expected, but everyone enjoyed the exercise.  Then we moved on to more KDAQTs.  Garrett (BulletSquid) and Robert both requalified in the afternoon.  David, Peter, and Alan were battling equipment issues, as well as the heat, and didn't quite make the score this weekend.  Remember a Rifleman persists!  I'm confident you will achieve your goal with a little more time on the line.

Here are a few pics:

Tennessee Beast and his first qualifying target

Great job Jimmy!

Clark accepting the patch (from his proud mom, while Granddad looked on)

And Bryan with his KD and Distinguished patches for that perfect 50.  Wow!

dond teaching with the "floating head" of grandson BulletSquid above the whiteboard.  That was good for a few laughs throughout the weekend.  ;D

Tennessee Beast

I really enjoyed the opportunity to work on my marksmanship this weekend.  The instruction was amazing.  Thanks to LesMoore's great history lesson, I now have to get the book Special Operations During the American Revolution by Robert L. Tonetic.  I really enjoyed everyone's great attitudes.  The heat definitely affected all of us, but we persisted and are better for it.  About the only thing that could have been better was if one of my friends that had registered had been able to make it.  Life happens and I made new friends and was pleasantly surprised to see my friend (and fellow instructor) David again.  Congratulations go out to Jimmy, Clark, Bryan, and Garrett for qualifying (or re-qualifying).  I was in awe of Bryan's score of 50 with borrowed equipment and ball ammo.  :bow: I owe dond a special thank you for many things this weekend, but I think I can speak for everyone and thank him for the use of his truck to go back and forth to the target line.  I am positive that we could not have made it as long as we did without it. One thing about this location that is great (besides the covered firing line) is that it is within a couple of miles from a good BBQ place called Laird's.  I had BBQ mutton for the first time and it was delicious.  Being a shooter at this event, I didn't get many pictures.  The picture of me was taken by Google.

As an FYI to everyone, inverted marking paint rubs off on everything it touches when it dries.  You've been warned!
In giving us dominion over the animal kingdom, God has signified His will that we subdue the beast within ourselves.
John Lancaster Spalding

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin, 1775

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."  George Washington 1790

"[T]o preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of the people always possess arms, and be taught alike, especially when young, how to use them…"
- Richard Henry Lee, Declaration Signer

Practice every time you get a chance. - Bill Monroe

Rustygun

A very fine KD indeed! I got the opportunity to try a dot sight at full distance and really enjoyed it. I learned a lot and had a blast. It was good to see all the Appleseeders and was glad Bryan finally made it to a KD even though shooting a 50 is apparently no big deal  ;D

Thanks to Google, DonD, and LesMoore for making it happen. The Puryear range is a great venue. I'll be back next time and hope to see you all before then at other events.

Ramblin' Wreck

This sounds like a great event. Few things are more satisfying than knowing you can control an area of 1/4 mile around you once you've mastered the Rifleman's Quarter mile.  ;)
Ramblin' Wreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown