News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Osage Beach DAR

Started by EEL, February 03, 2009, 02:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EEL

By my count, 16 or so Riflemen descened upon Osage Beach to further our cause by working on Missouri's 1st DAR.  We had generators, hand tools, chain saws, shovels, post hole diggers, band saws, etc. all in operation. 

We were met with a pleasant surprise.  Thor's Hammer had been out there doing a lot of the basic ground work.  Leveling off the firing / target lines and clearing some of the bigger piles of debris.  This gave a us a big jump and permitted us to turn our attention to other matters.   O0

Wurstmacher brought his power pole chain saw and was turned loose on the perimeter trimming back limbs.  And what a job he did!!  Others became lumberjacks for the day clearing a shooting lane on the distance range.

Another group of Riflemen transformed into carpenters, clearing out a large shed and then modifying it to be "weather tight" to protect our backer boards.

Still others became engineers / machinists, cutting well pipe, running transits, driving posts, and establishing a target line.

Another group "policed" the creek beds removing unsightly garbage and looking for anything that might cause a ricochet.  While not a glamourous task, one that is just as important, if not more so, than the rest.

The volunteers worked hard both days.  With the warm up came melting snow, which created muck that could swallow a truck.  Good thing Garand69 was safely up building a DAR in Illinois.  Wallowing through muck all afternoon saps the strength right out of you.  When we were done for the day, everyone was ready for some R & R.

As always, food and "gun talk" was at the top of everyone's list.   There was no shortage of either.  Armada had the food part well under control.  If anyone left hungry, it was their own fault.  As for the gun talk, well, having 16 Riflemen present, we were pretty well covered there too!

Thanks goes out to all that came down to help.   I, for one, was glad to be a part of it.

There is still LOTS to be done.  I'm sure Longshot would welcome any and all help if you find some free time.

P.S.  Illinois worked on their DAR this same weekend.  A bunch of SUPER guys, in 2 different states, working on a SUPER cause, on a weekend that found lots of other folks watching "Super something" on the couch    :'(.

P.S.S.  And if you were wondering......Of course we christened it  :~    :~   ;D
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

The Guy

....and I didn't even have to drive!!

Thanks to Wurstmacher, Cookie and Odd Ball, the Guy Mobile saved a trip.  Was good to see the folks who came again, and a sloppy good time was had by all.

I think the Guy Mobile would have gotten stuck......

Looking forward to when it is done and up and running!!

G

cmidkiff

My thanks to Longshot and Armada for being such wonderful hosts (not to mention cooking all that food!)

Anytime I get to hang out with a dozen or so fellow Appleseed volunteers, it's always a good time.  Lots of hard work, lots of mud, great weather, good food, and good company.  Who could ask for more?

Thanks to the entire Illinois contingent that came out to help the Show Me state out.  I'm looking forward to returning the favor... just ask, I'm there.

Longshot

Thaks to everyone for your efforts and help. While we still have a ways to go, a large bit of the "grunt work' is now out of the way, and we can begin to work on more esthetic things. Thor and I are hashing out time to complete the shelter, and we have a line on permanent latrines in the form of used, sell-off porta-potties. Thor is making the arrangements to get the lines graveled, and I will erect the flagpole at the first opportunity.

Special thanks to Wurstmacher and family for the sumptuous victuals they brought with them, and for the large portion they left in the fridge. If you are a sausage/meat lover as well as an Appleseeder, you should get in touch with them.

Extra-special thanks to EEl for getting my "six" when my chainsaw accidentally went on vacation.

KR
" In the beginning of a change, the Patriot is a scarce man; brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a Patriot." Mark Twain..?

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."  Jeff Co

Thor's Hammer

Work time again at the DAR!

Met with the electric co-op engineer today, got us some trees to get knocked outa the way. Looking at a one time $100 fee for the disconnect on the pole(have to pay for the breaker once, and they cover free replacement if it burns out, they spec a std one for there drops). There may be an additional fee for the length. They cover the first 300' and it is $3.00 per foot past that. We could end up 100' past their 300' at a maximum which would be an additional $300.

A 12X70 mobile home will be set on site within 2 weeks. There was no cost on the mobile home and there may be a small fee for transport and set up( I estimate $500 max, but could swing either way, hopefully down :) ).

Materials will be needed to hookup electric. Will need conduit and 200A wire. I have an excavator on hand, so nobody has to do any hard shovel work.

When the weather cools down(who wants to dehydrate in this heat!), the underpinning will need to be installed. I have underpinning material on hand, so no exspense there.

Once all is ready, we will have heat and air. That will make for a cush place to have history and instruction when the weather is less than favorable.

TH
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.    George Carlin

EEL

Thor,
Do you have a est. price for the connect?  I mean from the pole to the trailer.  Reason I'm asking is I trenched a line to my dad's house, put the wire in the ground (I have a poss outlet for wire at cost), covered it over leaving enough to go up the pole on one end and enough to hook into the meter at the other.  Way cheaper than Com Ed.

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

nemohunter

I kill trees for a living and used to set up mobiles too. looks like nemo needs to go to the DAR and get dirty. ~~:)
PLEASE DON'T STROKE THE EGO.

Thor's Hammer

Co-op provides mast, mast head wire to meter base, meter base and disconnect. The $100 is more or less for possible future replacement of the 200A breaker if it goes bad. Can't get around that one. At least there isn't a deposit required since I am already a customer. Jungle George may have a line on some wire. Should have a better estimate on how far over 300' it is gonna be. Again they provide the wire on that, no ifs, ands or buts about it. Trust me I tried, had to tell them it was going to be my permanent residence otherwise I have to dig deep and pay the entire install :o . So the DAR will end up with an actual address and a new mailbox. There go the property taxes!

TH

P.S. The 300'+ thingy is transformer to meter pole, FYI. Bend over Wally!
The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.    George Carlin

Thor's Hammer

Nemo,

I am out of the loop every weekend in August because of prior engagements and the upcoming AS. I have been working on Tuesdays and some Fridays when I can get away from baling hay and keeping up with my homestead. Job schedule is all 12pm to 12 am stuff at work on Monday, Wednesday and Thursday.

TH

Thor's Hammer

I met up with one of our students from the April shoot this weekend, and not knowing about the current work with the electric at the DAR, presented me with a $100 donation for electric that he had collected from his co-workers that haven't even made it to an AS yet!

This speaks greatly of the program and the message it carries. So let's all keep up the good work!

TH

Thor's Hammer

The mobile home should be in place 9-9-10. Hoping to get a picture to bring to Waterman, so everybody knows I'm not fooling.

Start watching for work weekends. Trees have to be felled for electric, underpinning reinstalled, general cleaning and painting to be done on the inside. I have loads of paint on hand. Will also need to move furniture/appliances/cookware in after it is cleaned.

Conduit and fittings for electric hook up are now in hand. Still need wire. Will have a better estimate on length after it is set.

Thor's Hammer

Upcoming work day at the DAR, Sept 25-26.

Things to be done: Finish clearing for the electric line, get backhoe and trench in gray water line for sinks and showers, clean the mobile home, paint the interior, possibly get some time on the KD range bangin away at steel ::)

ErikAnderson

Quote from: Thor's Hammer on September 14, 2010, 12:47:44 AM
Upcoming work day at the DAR, Sept 25-26.

Things to be done: Finish clearing for the electric line, get backhoe and trench in gray water line for sinks and showers, clean the mobile home, paint the interior, possibly get some time on the KD range bangin away at steel ::)

Damn, I'll be SB'ing Cedar City, UT that weekend, but I'll be at Osage in spirit! Thanks for all the time, energy, and support you're putting into the DAR Thor!

Greg in MO

We also have a shoot in Princeton that weekend, and Robin and I will be at the Hinckley shoot in MN.

Might want to pick a different weekend.  Or not.  Your choice!

Greg

cmidkiff

I'm at the Princeton shoot that weekend.

October 9-10 appears to be an open weekend (intentionally... I didn't want to schedule a shoot so close to the RBC).  Might make a good weekend.  Totally up to you... but I'd love to be able to come.

In any case, I'll see you this weekend!

Greybeard

Thor's Hammer

I'll try to get done what I can. I have Tuesdays off right now and have been working out there. Just got the range mowed today, rain be damned!

After that weekend, I will see what is left and probably schedule another work weekend. I hate to have everyone come down 2 weekends in a row because of the RBC. If I can get the major stuff done, then the light work can be handled over the course of the RBC.

nemohunter

Thor if i can bring my hounds i can make at least one day. saturday would be best for me. LMK.

TK

I will be in Osage Beach the 16th thru the 26th, so it shouldn't be a problem. Just let me know if you could use a hand on any other day during that time.

Ty

Jungle George

I can't make the 25 & 26 but I could take off Tues. after if that will work.  I'll talk to you this weekend.

JG
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel.  Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined."  Patrick Henry ,1778

mikaldulee

I think I can make it for Sat.  Let me confirm with the boss... ~~:) ;D >:D ++)

Thor's Hammer

TK, I plan on doing some clearing on the 22nd. Nemo, yes, you can bring the hounds. To anybody that might be coming on that weekend, I plan on making some beef stew for everyone to chow on, no good deed goes unpunished, although I think I'll have the wife cook, you may not want me to >:D

Update: I have to work on the 22nd, but I now have the 24th off. I will be at the range about 0900 on Friday. My cell phone is 573-480-0007.

nemohunter

well we worked down there yesturday. cleared and cleaned up 350' long x 30" wide right of way for the electric to come in. looked around the mobile. she DEFINITELY NEEDS paint. OMG Doll house Sally or Pastel Patty had to be living in that thing LOL. Ben should LOVE it as is though >:D

Gramma Goats

HEY -- you guys lay off Ben.   He tells a mean story at History Time.

Quote from: nemohunter on September 26, 2010, 11:00:30 AM
well we worked down there yesturday. cleared and cleaned up 350' long x 30" wide right of way for the electric to come in. looked around the mobile. she DEFINITELY NEEDS paint. OMG Doll house Sally or Pastel Patty had to be living in that thing LOL. Ben should LOVE it as is though >:D
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." --philosopher and writer Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

nemohunter

Yes he does and a great instructor at that. he was my first shoot boss and one of my favorite guys to work with. he has a certain way about him that is VERY effective at getting his point across. we aint pickin we just funnin and he knows it. O0

Gramma Goats

I know -- but sometimes  ya gotta have SOMEONE stick up fer ya  :o   Yep, Ben has a way.  At my first seed i grounded my rifle and missed setting the safety. You can guess who found it, yep  B_N. . .. .   NEVER HAPPENED AGAIN !

Quote from: nemohunter on September 26, 2010, 08:41:37 PM
Yes he does and a great instructor at that. he was my first shoot boss and one of my favorite guys to work with. he has a certain way about him that is VERY effective at getting his point across. we aint pickin we just funnin and he knows it. O0
"We can evade reality, but we cannot evade the consequences of evading reality." --philosopher and writer Ayn Rand (1905-1982)

mikaldulee

Just don't ask to look in the trunk of his car.
~~:) ~~:) ~~:)
;D

ErikAnderson

...or ask him to take more than one other person.  Heck, cleaning out the front seat is a 15 minute affair!

Thor's Hammer

The mobile home leveling will start on 9/29 and should be completed 9/30.

Thor's Hammer

The mobile is leveled ^:)^  It only took them 3hrs. Electric co-op should be out soon to run the power. I have all the materials needed for hooking it up to the mobile home. I will be unavailable this weekend, but I know TK will be around Oct 9-10, hint, hint.

Thor's Hammer

Good news! The electric service is on the schedule for Oct 7. Better news! After talking with the estimator and on the phone with his supervisor, they negotiated the fee down to $100 for the installation. Apparently they are very 2A friendly. I also cordially invited them to the next AS.

On another note: If anyone is needing an RV hook-up for the RBC or in the future, if you can bring the necessary supplies, we can put in a permanent post. I have circuit breakers, but lack the wire and the receptacles. I also have a trenching tool for the tractor, so installation of direct bury cable is a cinch.

A note for TK: Looks like we will be powering up everything Oct 9-10. Bring your tools. I want to double check all the wiring before anybody stays in it.