News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR D & J Apiary, Umatilla, FL May 25-26, 2019

Started by 9mm4545, May 27, 2019, 09:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

Every Appleseed has its own flavor and dynamic. This shoot felt like a bunch of close friends gathered in the cause of Liberty, Heritage, and Marksmanship. Despite the heat everyone improved by leaps and bounds and the instructors were richly paid for this weekend. We couldn't ask for better hosts and the supply of many canopies to provide shade and even huge fans to keep the air stirring made the summer heat tolerable, if not exactly comfortable.

There were several familiar faces in the class with about half being repeat Appleseeders. To see the efforts and progress made by these folk is gratifying beyond words. I am talking to you, Jan! Your 177 shows you are well on the way to being an expert shooter and it is only a matter of time and perfect practice before The Patch is yours. Matt, a previously qualified Rifleman, showed that he still has it in spades and turned in solid scores many times over. John, a first timer to Appleseed, buckled down with grit and persistence and scored a respectable 216, becoming the only new Rifleman for this event. Brad, also a regular at the Umatilla shoots, brought out an assortment of interesting rifles, including a gorgeous M1 Garand. Brad not only looked good but easily requalified and took home the high score for the weekend. Nice shooting, sir! In the heartbreak category is Rachel, also a first timer. Her 209 was so, so close--as was the 206 and 204 before that! A little work on Rifleman's cadence will cinch it for you and you will be able to get all 40 rounds on paper before running out of time. Just behind Rachel in the heartbreak line is Mario with a very strong 205. You are one shot away from being able to claim your Rifleman award. It's only a matter of time before you put together four good stages on the same target on the same day. Katie, your enthusiasm and drive is contagious. I don't remember what you finally scored but I do know that there was a world of difference between Saturday morning and Sunday afternoon. Dry practice will help make the positions much more tolerable and allow being able to truly experience what NPOA feels like. It was so good to see Kevin and Jamy again, even if it was only for Sunday. You guys are fun to be around and it makes me proud to see such rapid improvement over so short a time. Danika, you were the youngest in the bunch at only eleven years old. I wish every eleven year old shooter was like you as you were fun to work with and a quick study. Just hang in there and keep practicing what you learned and it will get easier and easier. I believe another AQT or two would have pushed Zach over the line. With a 195 you are knocking on the door and all that is needed is more polish and more dry practice.

Many thanks to our excellent instructors: Shelly, Marian, Tom, and Janet. You make it look easy, the true mark of professionals.

After years of hard work and endless long hours our range hosts Mario and Shelly have sold their business and are retiring to the Keys to begin the next phase of their life. You folks have very much earned your reward and I hope you have as much success in retirement as you have had in your business. It is my feeling that you are going to ace this retirement thing! Adding to this happy news: the new owner of D & J Apiary, Manny, is cool with Appleseed and will continue to make the range available for events. Huzzah!

I will ask that those who took photos please share away, 'cause this was an affair to remember. Shoot straight, keep your powder dry, and celebrate Liberty, as we remember those who gave all on this Memorial Day.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

rambo granny

Here's some pics. Awesome event!
https://share.icloud.com/photos/0F6hHrIWR4N3Y8tVZWjD_DqtQ

What an honor to also work with Shelly (Pirategirl) at her first event as an official orange hat who turned in her IIT 1.

Students all rocked with their teachable attitudes!
RBC @ IDMR 02/17, requal KD May 2017 @IDMR 49/50,
RBC IDMR 1/18: requal KD, Shingle shot & 2 MOA steel shot @ 300,
RBC IDMR 1/19: requal KD;  >100 events; Post accident>Adaptive 4 min AQT scored 5/1/22
This info block too small for ancient instructors.😉

The IMPOSSIBLE is Not always impossible when an IAO (improvise, adapt, & overcome) is applied! Add focus, creativity and stubborn to win!

Quote from a very wise man, our own amazing Scuzzy:
"Pray. But eventually you're going to have to pick up a rock." - David

Cable___Guy

Great job, sorry I could not make this one.
Looks like a good time was had by all.  :F
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

Grandpa Chuckie

WOW! A great report, 9mm4545!! I noticed your location (as we contemplate moving to your area) and can see all the hard work of the instructors and students, no matter where in this beautiful country. Brings joy to my heart! Just throwing out some "Atta Boys (and Girls)" to all you in the Sunshine State!! Keep up the good fight!!

I just love the GREEN GRASS! We have a DRY heat, with a strong dash of high winds, and all these rocks just get the blood flowing.
"Those who don't know history are doomed to repeat it." - Edmund Burke

"No power so effectually robs the mind of all its powers of acting and reasoning as fear." - Edmund Burke

9mm4545

:yeahthat: Yikes, that looks a range that "breeds character". Come on to Florida, where we enjoy mud much more often than rocks!
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

Minutemom

Looks like it was a great event!  I would like to make it there next time!
Bad men cannot make good citizens. It is when a people forget God that tyrants forge their chains." - Patrick Henry

"In the prevailing political theory of the founding era, the family was considered one of the essential pillars of republican virtue, and it not only needed to be nurtured, but also protected from the tyranny of the government.... American revolutionaries and their descendants understood marriage and the family to be schools of republican virtue. -Mary Lyndon Shanley, Review Essay, 27 Law & Soc. Inq. 923,

Pirategirl

Huzzah!  Well said sir!  I very much enjoyed this sweltering weekend of fun, family, and LIBERTY!  What an exciting way to celebrate those who have come before us, and those that have paid the ultimate price for freedom.  Never have there been a brighter group of folks to stoke the fires of freedom in the hearts of men!  Proud to know ya'll and happy to be working my way up to instructor!

Pirategirl
What doesn't kill you makes cool scars, and scars are tattoos with better stories.

Pirategirl

What doesn't kill you makes cool scars, and scars are tattoos with better stories.

PHenry

A finer group of Patriots I have not met. Many thanks for your tireless support - Mario, Shelly and friends!  ^:)^
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

MaidMarian

A few more photos from another fine Appleseed weekend.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/m9nuep359e2udst/AABJrw_Y7-e5Aoa9ir6z5FVqa?dl=0
Daughter of Liberty