News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

When I watched the film "Defiance", all I thought of was "Appleseed"

Started by DNT...Death N Taxes, February 01, 2009, 02:26:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DNT...Death N Taxes

If y'all have the time, read this rather lengthy review of the war movie "Defiance" complements of the Sipsey Street Irregulars Blog...it just goes to show that when an un-armed and un-trained populace is confronted with racial extermination....it takes a miracle of arms and leadership for any of them to get out alive.

Appleseed to me is about remembering the oppression we as a people once lived under, and how we as a people defeated it by the virtues of skill at arms, faith in the Lord, and insisting in making REAL the idealism of the enlightenment era in our everyday society.

http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2008/12/defiance-without-rifle-you-are-nothing.html
Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, and rapists, and even more so for politicians.

Just because you're not out looking for a fight doesn't mean a fight isn't out looking for you.

ACP230

If anyone is interested the book the film is based on is Defiance: The Bielski Partisans by Nechama Tec. 

I bought it in paperback edition by Oxford University Press a while back.  It was $5.98 from one of the book wholesalers.         

KodyJaret

I've seen "Defiance",,,things CAN BE worse.

Katyn: The Story Hollywood Won't Tell

"Andrej Wajda, 82, Poland's most celebrated film director, lost his father at Katyn. In 2008, Wajda made a movie about this genocide and its effect on the victims' families. Financed by Polish TV, the film, "Katyn," was a major artistic and commercial success in Poland. It was nominated for an Oscar for Best Foreign Film in 2008, but still has not found wide distribution outside Poland. "

"KATYN"

"Here is the trailer for "Katyn". I haven't seen the movie but I did stumble across information that illustrates why this is the stuff of which epics are made."

"First, some background from Wikipedia: "Since Poland's conscription system required every nonexempt university graduate to become a reserve officer, the Soviets were able to round up much of the Polish intelligentsia. Those who died at Katyn included an admiral, two generals, 24 colonels, 79 lieutenant colonels, 258 majors, 654 captains, 17 naval captains, 3,420 NCOs, seven chaplains, three landowners, a prince, 43 officials, 85 privates, and 131 refugees. Also among the dead were 20 university professors; 300 physicians; several hundred lawyers, engineers, and teachers; and more than 100 writers and journalists as well as about 200 pilots. In all, the NKVD executed almost half the Polish officer corps."

In 1945, Maurice Shainberg was the Assistant to KGB Col. Grigory Zaitzev who was the Commandant of the main Katyn work camp. In his book, "Breaking from the KGB," (1986) Shainberg, a Polish Jew, tells how he discovered Zaitzev's Katyn diary in the safe. Shainberg had misgivings about Communism and identified with his fellow Poles. He took great personal risks to copy sections of the diary. The Zaitzev Diary was dynamite because the Soviets always claimed the Nazis had committed the war crime.

The diary appears authentic except for one major discrepancy. Zaitzev pretends the slaughter was necessitated by lack of transport to remove the prisoners in advance of the Nazi onslaught in June 1941. In fact, Stalin and Beria gave the order to murder the Poles in early March and the executions took place in April and May 1940. Only 4250 were actually shot in Katyn forest. The remainder were executed in prisons elsewhere. Many were taken out in barges on the White Sea and drowned.

Otherwise, the diary describes how the Soviets tried to indoctrinate and intimidate the Poles into betraying their culture and their country (as the Western-elite has done today), by forming a puppet class in a future Soviet-dominated Poland. The Poles refused and that is the reason they were slaughtered.''

http://video.aol.com/video-detail/katyn-oscar-award-2008/401296992

DNT...Death N Taxes

You're right, things can be far worse...My father's ancestry were Polish and Ukranian Jews....

The Soviets under Stalin were as bad as the Germans....they literally wanted to exterminate Poland's entire leaderhip and intellectual class in one brutal stroke....and then blame it on the Germans during those terrible and confusing first days of Poland's two-front stand against the Nazis and the Communists. They didn't just go after the Jews (many of whom they left for the Germans) they wanted to wipe Poland's entire civilization from the pages of history.

I still find myself asking out loud how the individual soldier can allow himself to participate in such flagrant brutality....but the indoctrination of citizens living in the Nazi and Soviet regimes allowed those people to displace and murder their neighbors like insects.

And some Europeans regard America's citizens' constitutionally guaranteed freedom to own firearms as barbaric.......

Never forget, even for an instant, that the one and only reason anybody has for taking your gun away is to make you weaker than he is, so he can do something to you that you wouldn't let him do if you were equipped to prevent it. This goes for burglars, and rapists, and even more so for politicians.

Just because you're not out looking for a fight doesn't mean a fight isn't out looking for you.

artandscience

My mother's family lived through both the German and Russian occupations of Poland (in the Warsaw region).

My grandfather's house in Warsaw was taken by the Germans to be the local army headquarters for a couple of years.. In the end, while she hates the Germans (more even than the Russians), she found the Russians to be much worse to be around. She tells stories of them (they also took the house for a headquarters after kicking the Germans out) of them getting blind drunk every evening and shooting up the paintings in the house and then coming cap in hand to my grandparents the next day, apologizing. Went on for months.

I think my grandparents and entire family were lucky not to have been killed at Katyn. As it was, I have no surviving adult members of the family (and it was a large family) who were between the ages of 10 and 40 when Germany invaded.
"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either."

Benjamin Franklin