News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Talladega, AL 16-17 Mar 2019

Started by Mixed Metaphor, March 18, 2019, 01:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mixed Metaphor

It was a great weekend at the Civilian Marksmanship Park (CMP) in Talladega, AL! 

First, I want to thank the awesome staff at the CMP.  WE hold several events per year there and are always treated exceptionally well.  Thank you!

Next, I want to thank all of the shooters who braved the "brisk" weather.  The temperature wasn't especially low, but the breeze made a little chillier than expected.  We had the privilege of meeting 3 new to Appleseed shooters and 3 who have attended Appleseed events in the past.  I speak for all of the instructors when I say that it was our honor to work with each of them.

A huge thank you to the instructors!  You guys are awesome.

We were able to get started right on schedule Saturday morning in the CMP Clubhouse with safety and a great First Strike.  We followed by moving to range three for the rest of the day.

At range three we were able to start very quickly with a Redcoat target, then instruction on eye dominance, sling use six steps of firing a shot and positions.  We then posted squares for the next several strings of fire.  During these strings we heard about talking targets.  The shooters learned how to interpret what their shot placement told them. 

After lunch and Second Strike, we practiced with the ball and dummy exercise.  Watching the shooters work with each other, I could see a lot of future Orange Hats!  The shooter really did very well.  Next, we carded sights and talked about Rifleman's Cadence.

We took a short break for Third strike, then moved into AQT instruction by stage.  We started with stage Two of the AQT and went through all four.

At the end of our first AQT we had two requalifications! 

Mike P.- 225

Two Mikes- 241  (Distinguished)

Sunday started in the Clubhouse with history, Thomas Paine being the subject.  After the history presentation, we moved onto a review of Saturday's instruction.  We proceeded to back to range three for most of the day.  Our first target was a Red Coat.  The shooters were all able to see their improvements.  We had two of the five retuning shooters clear the target and all did very well!  After the Red Coat, we conducted mag change drills, Rifleman's Bubble and Rifleman's dance.

We were able to shoot about three AQTs before we cased rifles to move to range two.  At range two, the remaining shooters were afforded the opportunity to shoot on an electronic targeting system.  The first string was fired with no sight adjustment.  The shooters were able to see and practice IMC at a longer distance.

We moved back to range three for one final AQT.  "Catfish doesn't shoot alone!" 

Two Mikes- 246!

Congratulations to all of our shooters on great improvements all weekend!  We have Orange and Blue Hats available.
May Liberty Increase,

J. Gary Smith

Alabama

AH1Tom

I agree, it was a great weekend. Of course it always is when sharing History and Marksmanship with fellow Americans. A great bunch of shooters with a receptive attitudes, a great set of instructors to work with, and the finest range facility available. What's not to like?