News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Redmond, WA, March 9/10, 2019, AAR

Started by Prescott, March 11, 2019, 07:42:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prescott

After the cold wet month of February, we finally had a dry sunny weekend for the first event at Interlake Sporting Association.

Nineteen patriots came out to challenge their marksmanship skills and to awaken to the spirit to the American Revolution.

The instructors did a great job putting the students through the program on Saturday.  Rifles got zeroed and group sizes were coming together nicely.   We had them shoot one AQT late Saturday afternoon so we could gauge their progress.   We took the AQT's to dinner with us, and wow, did we have our work cut out for us on Sunday.  With the exception of Justin, who actually shot a Rifleman's score on the Saturday AQT, the rest of group would need extra coaching on Sunday.

As we progressed through the sighter squares on Sunday, magic was happening.  Sighting systems were getting zeroed, group sizes were shrinking and the instructors were getting encouraged.  When we got to shooting AQTs on Sunday afternoon, we started seeing some real encouraging scores and finally got a few more Rifleman.  Congratulation to Joe and Joseph for earning their Rifleman patch.   Joe tied Justin for the high score of the weekend, 224.

In order to take your marksmanship skills to the next level, look at attending the Known Distance event in Eatonville, WA on June 29/30.   

Hope to see everyone there.
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

watzizzname

I had a great time working with all of the shooters this last weekend in Redmond. There were a few equipment issues (a fancy stock with no sling mounts and a 'lefty' trying to use a 'righty' stock to name a few), but we pressed on and overcame those obstacles and improved all weekend. Congrats to the newly minted riflemen! HUZZAH! Getting that patch is a great milestone, but should be nowhere near the end of your journey. For those of you who were still a few points shy of that elusive 210/250, stick with it. Remember the 6 steps to firing a shot, take time to practice all the positions (remember, they're STEADY hold factors, not COMFORTABLE hold factors) the more time you practice the easier they become. Also, DRY PRACTICE, DRY PRACTICE, DRY PRACTICE. I hope to see each of you on the firing line again soon.

I didn't take very many pics with so many "no-pics" name tags on the firing line, but I did get a shot of each of the cleared redcoats, great job!
https://photos.app.goo.gl/op4vHNtajsuZjmK57

Prescott

I received this message from a student and wanted to share it.

I just wanted to drop a note thanking you for running the Appleseed event this past weekend. Although last minute schedule conflicts unfortunately didn't allow my friend Dan and I to come back for the second day, I had a great time, and walked away feeling that I had learned a ton, and also knowing there's a ton more to learn.

If you're able to pass along my thanks to the instructions Andy, Matt and especially Will, I'd greatly appreciate it. I know that you all have many other things competing for your time, and thought you all made a great teaching team.

I'll be recommending Project Appleseed to a couple friends, and am looking forward to getting back to one where I can stick around for the whole weekend.

Best regards,

Matt (shooting 22 bolt action on the far right of the firing line)
"America will never be destroyed from the outside.  If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." - Abraham Lincoln

watzizzname

I knew that Matt (shooting 22 bolt action on the far right of the firing line) was a stand up guy.  O0  I look forward to seeing him and his friends back on the firing line in the future.

Feldrian

A sincere thanks for hosting this event. I honestly didn't know what to expect, with this being my first Appleseed and I'm happy to say the event exceeded my expectations. I really appreciate the emphasis on safety and will be bringing my wife and other junior shooters to local Appleseeds in the future as a good way to experience shooting from a firing line in a controlled, safe environment.

I'll be bringing my bolt .22 to another Appleseed and qualifying rifleman with it - Prescott's instruction on bolt manipulation and not breaking cheek weld was priceless and paid off with better AQT scores. I'm acutely aware that I've never shot seated before and still have trouble getting into a stable position which cost me a couple of rounds down range on each of my AQTs ... causing me to miss rifleman by 7 points on my first event. While I know I could always have brought one of my semi auto rifles, I'm determined to qualify with a bolt gun.

I'll be at the KD in June ... though not with a 22LR.  :)

watzizzname

Quote from: Feldrian on April 10, 2019, 01:33:56 PM
I'll be at the KD in June ... though not with a 22LR.  :)

Great to hear such positive feedback. I'm looking forward to seeing you, and your friends & family at future events.

I'll be on the line with you at the KD in June. A little piece of advice, Jeep stretching and practicing all those comfy positions, you'll be glad you did :)