News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Marana Camping?

Started by Slwill, February 09, 2019, 08:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slwill

Hello All,

Does anyone know if camping is allowed at the Marana Shooting Club (I saw it's allowed at the Kingman range)? Or are there suggestions for nearby places where I can tent camp? I'm a new shooter from Phoenix and was surprised to see no Phoenix based events this year. I'll make the drive down to Marana but would like to keep costs at a minimum. Thanks in advanced.

azmule

Unfortunately, there is no camping at the Marana range.  And even though there are several RV parks near the range, I don't think any of them allow tent camping.  The closest tent camping I know of on the north side is in Picacho Peak about 15 minutes up I-10.  Further southeast, Catalina State Park allows camping.  There is lots of isolated areas not too far to the west, you might be able to find a quiet spot off the road a bit.
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

Slwill

Thanks for the fast reply! I might opt to do some dispersed camping instead then. I might try Catalina State Park or perhaps Cactus Forest campground. Out west, is that Ironwood Forest? I see some camping reviews there mentioning a higher police and drug runner presence, probably not worth the risk.

It's unfortunate there are no Phoenix events this year. Is there a reason for that?

azmule

Range access mostly.  Phoenix area ranges are popular, crowded, and harder every year to reserve for an entire weekend.
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda