News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Lapeer, MI January 26-27, 2019 Below-Zero Winterseed

Started by Super Trooper, January 28, 2019, 11:06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Super Trooper

What a tough group of winter warriors.  We had ten patriots willing to brave the cold.  Saturday morning started out at bitterly cold -3 degrees and by the afternoon it had warmed up to sightly better 15 degrees.  Sunday was about 13 all day but with more wind and a little snow in the morning.

Congratulations to our new rifleman JW, and to Dave, Josh, Tim, and Michael who requalified and earned the coveted icicle patch.  Also a shout out to Mackenzie who discovered she was cross eye dominant and with some practice learning how to do things left handed showed great improvement and her standing scores on the AQT was making our riflemen and instructors jealous.

Another congratulations to T.Wolf who earned his red hat on Sunday.  Well done sir.

Lastly, remember, what's the P word?................posterity.  Who is posterity?.........................us. :F

I hope to see everyone again soon on the Appleseed trail.
Super Trooper

:pics:
The hardest distance to shoot is the six inches between your ears.  It gets easier when you get out of your own way.  Self doubt and negative self talk have no place on the firing line. 
Once a shot is gone... good or bad, it is gone.   Focus on the next one. Make forty good first shots.

Tick Wrangler

"Did you exchange, a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?" - Pink Floyd

Steel Dragon

Super Trooper,

On February 9th we are having a Winterseed at Green County Rifle Club in Monroe Wisconsin, our first there.  Any suggestions for appropriate gloves or mittens?  What works well and what doesn't for those shooting on the line? Seems like what might be ok for deer season might not be that great for what an Appleseed requires of a shooter.

Thanks in advance, Steel Dragon

T. WOLF

Could not have asked for a better group of shooters (or instructors!) to help me earn my red hat!  Thanks to everyone who came out and endured the frigid temps - it was an honor spending the weekend with you.

Congrats to our newest rifleman, JW!  It was great to see everything finally come together for you on the firing line. You earned it, bud - nice shooting!

Also proud of the shooters who persevered through equipment troubles and frozen fingers and stuck with it all weekend. Cam, if you're reading this, keep working on those transitions. Your last AQT looked excellent - hope you come back for more.

Pookie and TL - great job!  It's awesome to have you both on board. SuperTrooper - well done, sir!!

:F

"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leaders, and concerting measures in opposition to each other." ~John Adams 1780

T. WOLF

Quote from: Steel Dragon on January 29, 2019, 10:30:00 PM
Super Trooper,

On February 9th we are having a Winterseed at Green County Rifle Club in Monroe Wisconsin, our first there.  Any suggestions for appropriate gloves or mittens?  What works well and what doesn't for those shooting on the line? Seems like what might be ok for deer season might not be that great for what an Appleseed requires of a shooter.

Steel Dragon - I'm partial to these gloves:

You can stick the adhesive toe-warmers to the inside of the 'mitten' and warm your fingers up between COF's.
"There is nothing which I dread so much as a division of the republic into two great parties, each arranged under its leaders, and concerting measures in opposition to each other." ~John Adams 1780

ThreadNLead "TL"

What a weekend!
Thanks to the instructors who made this happen! And of course, to all our patriots who braved the cold!
It was my first event as an Orange Hat, so thanks for understanding when my line commands weren't top notch yet! (I know I wasn't shaking because I was cold on Sunday!!!  $$-0 :whistle: ??? :-\ )
Can't wait for warmer weather, so I can really jump into Orange Hat-ing!

Another congrats to T.WOLF for getting that RED HAT!!!
And one to Super Trooper for having a great first shoot as ShootBoss.

I think it was a great shoot all around, and apparently I took a ton of pics, though I don't remember pulling out my phone very often...
I'm posting the highlights here, but if anyone wants to see them all, shoot me a message and I'll link you to an album in dropbox.

In NO particular order....indoor pics...

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin
"Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood." -John Adams
Super Trooper, forever in my heart.
First Patch: (was a) KD 10/27/18
Winterseed Patch: 11/11/18
Orange Hat: 11/11/18
"InfernoSeed": 7/20/19
Red Hat: 4/18/21
KD: 11/26/23
Morgan's Shingle/Star (prone and standing): 11/26/23

ThreadNLead "TL"

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  - Benjamin Franklin
"Liberty must at all hazards be supported. We have a right to it, derived from our Maker. But if we had not, our fathers have earned and bought it for us, at the expense of their ease, their estates, their pleasure, and their blood." -John Adams

ThreadNLead "TL"

T. WOLF

Great photos, TL - thanks for capturing the moment! ^:)^

Tick Wrangler

Day 1

I tried to get pictures of everyone but some pictures didn't turn out or I missed you. I am sorry.

Day 2

Our illustrious shootboss!!!

READY!

AIM!

FIRE!

After a very cool demonstration by George (do you see what I did there) our apple-seeders were given the opportunity to demonstrate to that dirty redcoat what it means to be an American. (accurate musket fire)

Take that!

https://i.imgur.com/s5rA46A.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/VB32lPy.mp4

Just a flash in the pan!

https://i.imgur.com/1sYrOrm.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/K4As8gh.mp4

I want to offer up my gratitude for all the instructors whom braved the cold for us to shoot this event. Despite the bitter cold it was a great time.

Cam, I hope to see you at another Appleseed soon.

Twolf, man you did a great job with the POI's and you tell some awesome strikes! Congratulations to Michigan's newest redhat, you've earned it!

"Did you exchange, a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage?" - Pink Floyd

Super Trooper

Awesome pictures and videos.  Thanks for posting them up.
The hardest distance to shoot is the six inches between your ears.  It gets easier when you get out of your own way.  Self doubt and negative self talk have no place on the firing line. 
Once a shot is gone... good or bad, it is gone.   Focus on the next one. Make forty good first shots.

Tick Wrangler

Quote from: Tick Wrangler on January 30, 2019, 10:19:59 PM
Day 1

I tried to get pictures of everyone but some pictures didn't turn out or I missed you. I am sorry.

Fixed links to day 1

M0RRIS

Roundballer

Quote from: T. WOLF on January 30, 2019, 08:06:14 PM
Quote from: Steel Dragon on January 29, 2019, 10:30:00 PM
Super Trooper,

Steel Dragon - I'm partial to these gloves:

You can stick the adhesive toe-warmers to the inside of the 'mitten' and warm your fingers up between COF's.

I concur, although I use the ones without the mitten flap.  And if you are looking at all of the great pics, I didn't put them on until my hands started to get cold AFTER  my bit of shooting.  The ones I use can be found for about $11~12, if you look around.  To help in looking, they are called Ragg wool gloves/mittens.  And they are period correct to the 18th century.  If they work, why change them?

Roundballer

I though I might add a little more here, more along the lines of an AAR.  This is of course from entirely unique point of view.
In no way in this post am I trying have fun at anybodies' expense, so please don't take offense. I am also going to "borrow" other peoples images to demonstrate points.

As I entered the building on Sunday, the first thing I saw that really stood out was a VERY bright orange hat, obviously pretty new.  The hat was sitting in the front row, just to my left as I entered.  Now, because "new" for me is kind of special, especially among the "Cadre'", I asked a couple of quick questions.   We discover:  She is really new to the orange hat (relatively), she has shot at my club before, but it was not one of the events that I attend.  I got me at least ONE newbie!  There was a second one that is a red hat, just a first time at the club.

We shortly proceeded out onto the line and got things arranged for me.  I then openly and loudly questioned the instructors which among them needed to take the walk.  You see, I am among those that believe that if you are going to "talk the talk", you should be able to "walk the walk".  If you are going to tell about the action, wouldn't you like to have the knowledge of what it is like to hold a Bess and look down the barrel?  Try to line up on a target with NO sights (just a little guidance of positional relations) ? And then fire a 75 caliber ball down range?

When the time came to "step up", I have never had one step up faster.

I would appreciate it if everyone would note how long the Bess is, in relation to my shoulder. 
With a few words about some of the peculiarities of that big bore musket, she took the line.

Now, take a peek at the top of that orange hat in relation to my shoulder.  Then take a look at the video that Tick Wrangler posted, just below.  I think that the shot was handled very well for an absolutely "first" of that type.

https://i.imgur.com/s5rA46A.mp4
Pssst, follow through, follow through.

People, what I see here is a Red hat in short order.  That is my prediction. I was impressed.   

ThreadNLead "TL"

Wow, thank you for the compliments! My eyebrows are raised!

It was such a treat to have you come out! I loved getting to hear about, see, and touch a piece of history (even if it wasn't technically made back then). But to be able to shoot it, was the cherry on top!  O0  ^:)^ Thank you so much for coming out and sharing! I knew Bess was big, but wow. She was heavy too. 100% worth the small bruise on my forearm (since I couldn't reach the trigger with it in my shoulder LOL)

P.S. I do costuming too, but mine probably is never true period  ;D

mrsurplus

A hearty Huzzah to all who braved the cold. Sorry I missed all the fun.

Congrats to our newest Riflemen (and re-qualifiers) and to our newest Red Hat, T. Wolf. Much deserved!

MrSurplus
" There is a certain enthusiasm in liberty, that makes human nature rise above itself, in acts of bravery and heroism"
- Alexander Hamilton
" The key to life is how you deal with plan B" - Stephan Dias

Superheat

Great job with the pics.  You guys are overachievers.   :)

Thanks to all for letting me come hang out on Sunday.  Lots of goods: New instructors, JW scores riflemen with the last AQT, New SB, Good history.... oh yeah, someone got a red hat.  HUZZAH!  ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:.. ..:..

KawGirl

Hello from sunny Florida,
One day I'll make it up there.... in the summertime. LOL.
Say, how did you get your pictures to come out so large in this post?
I'd like to know because my picts always look like thumbnails.
Sincerely,
KawGirl

KawGirl's Signature - - - - -                            
1st Appleseed  - 04/16/2016 - Clearwater, FL
O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

Superheat

Quote from: KawGirl on February 05, 2019, 05:03:07 PM
Hello from sunny Florida,
One day I'll make it up there.... in the summertime. LOL.
Say, how did you get your pictures to come out so large in this post?
I'd like to know because my picts always look like thumbnails.
Sincerely,
KawGirl

KG,
There is an explanation in the heading of AARs.  Here is the link:  https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=51419.msg346083#msg346083

I just upload my photos to IMGUR.  Then just post links.  It is pretty quick when you get the hang of it.  I believe it looks a lot nicer.

KawGirl

Hello.
Thank you for your response. I shall pursue the IMGUR route.
I need to look for paperwork for DAR in Almont. If I get up there this summer, I'll be sure to say HI.
Sincerely,
KawGirl

KawGirl's Signature - - - - -                            
1st Appleseed  - 04/16/2016 - Clearwater, FL
O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V