News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Canton, GA 25-27 Feb 2019, SBC/IBC

Started by Maximum Ordinate, February 05, 2019, 01:01:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

We had a fantastic time at the Cherokee County Sheriff's Office in Canton Georgia.  I've never been to Canton.  It's a beautiful town and the Sheriff's traning center is fantastic.  We're grateful they are willing to host Project Appleseed events!

One of my mentor's, Phenry, once told me, "Everyone needs an IBC, from orange hat to MI."  He's right.  I learn stuff at every one I attend!  Canton 1-19 was no different!

We began the weekend on Friday, with a one-day Shoot Boss Camp.  The Shoot Boss Camp was conceived by DrJohn several years ago and he was very gracious to send me his course material to use as a foundation.  Twelve volunteers and three instructors spent the day talking about leadership and planning and administrating shoots.  We enjoyed small group exercises teaching Known Distance and a bonus of 1907-style sling setup.  My only regret is that the day was far too short.

Saturday morning came quickly and the Instructor Boot Camp kicked off.  We had a couple new folks accept hats - WileyCoyote accepted an orange hat and we got to put a blue hat on Sgt-At-Arms' head!   ^:)^ 

A few more people joined us, with representatives from Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee in attendance.  We began with safety.  We jumped into topics of the about Project Appleseed (and what is & it is not), Instructor Conduct, and discussed the Appleseed Guidelines listed in the manual.  We covered prone, kneeling, and many other things from a normal "Saturday" at an Appleseed.  During a working lunch, we spent time discussing history.  The rest of the day we spent in small group exercises.  Saturday evening we had an amazing pot luck.  I could barely move after dinner.  There was so much food that nobody needed to worry about lunch on Sunday:-)

We reassembled on Sunday morning and had a quick review of positions and IMC.  It was great to see folks able to teach with simplicity and precision!  Mechanic, Pirtle, Boone, and WV Irish were doing great!  Son of Isaac was rocking out the steady hold factors like he'd been teaching them for a long time!  Tim, it was a real pleasure watching you get comfortable with the material - you're going to be a fine Red Hat.

Lunch on Sunday was the highlight of the weekend for me.  We set aside time to do history drills.  Each attendee had been assigned a topic in advance and a time limit of three minutes.  It's a lot of fun and everyone gets to learn something new.  The rest of afternoon was all about working on the line... coaching, being a Line Boss and RSO, and still more safety.

I am so grateful for the small group leads who worked tirelessly and invested their time to make this a wonderful event.  My personal thanks to: Morpheus, Cokeguy, Google, Mixed Metaphor, and Leadslinger66!  You guys are awesome!

Instructors and students alike, thank you for attending Canton 1-19!  I hope to work with you at an event again very soon.

in Liberty,
MO

Our group photo on Sunday...
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

Leadslinger66

I learned a lot, came home with some great resources, and had a wonderful weekend of fellowship with the Appleseed crew! I enjoyed seeing familiar faces and meeting new people. Definitely an awesome weekend! Thanks to all who facilitated and participated.
John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence

6Bones

Thanks to all who participated, both instructors and students!

It's an honor and a privilege to be associated with so many dedicated stewards of liberty!

BooneCaudill

I had a great time and learned a lot. As an orange hat, I dont think I could have soaked up as much as I did in a years worth of shooting events as I did in those 3 days. Thanks to all that took the time and effort to put on such a great event!
The hardest thing to explain is that which is glaringly evident, which everybody had decided not to see. -Aayn Rand

WVIrish

Thank you Maximum Ordinate and all the instructors for taking the time and coming out to work with us.  I learned so much and look forward to putting it to good use soon.

For anyone reading this:  if you have the opportunity to attend an IBC, please do so.  You will not regret it !

Sgt-at-Arms

Really enjoyed the wknd. Thanks to everyone who came out. The teaching, instruction, fellowship, it was wonderful to participate and be a part of it all. See y'all on the Trail!
:F
Kenneth Dawyne Pirtle
"Sgt-at-Arms"

"we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."