News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

*** Instructors Needed for Boy Scouts ***

Started by Pain Killer, January 25, 2019, 03:31:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pain Killer

My son's Boy Scout Troop would like to have a One Day Appleseed on March 30th at the Home Range in Ramseur. We should have at least 20 scouts and 8 adults and I would like to have at least 10 instructors for this event. Please reply here if you would be able to participate so that I will know if we are able to move forward with this. In addition, we will need at least 12 loaner rifles so please include any rifles you are able to loan with your reply.

Thank you in advance!
PK
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

Henry Foxall

PK, go ahead and place my wife (Mother Batherick, IIT0) and myself (Henry Foxall) on the list. We have three loaner rifles available (all iron-sights) plus magazines and ammunition, if needed - let us know.

Ron & Jo
"Tell the men to fire faster and not give up the ship. Fight her till she sinks!"(Attributed to Captain James Lawrence, USS Chesapeake v HMS Shannon, June 1st, 1813)

The ship is sinking - bailers needed. Apply here!

Pain Killer

In addition, it will be helpful if we have some NRA certified rifle instructors, it helps with the scouts. Let me know if any of you have this. Also, I plan to instruct but I will only SB if absolutely necessary. If you are willing to SB but have never done a Scout event, don't worry I will help. I will get all waivers signed ahead of time.

PK
"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

Pain Killer

I plan to add to the Heritage portion so the scouts can get their American Heritage Merit Badge. I will post once I get it worked out.

2 clicks low

I am a long way away, Gary, Indiana, but I am a NRA Rifle instructor and have been through the BSA Youth Protection Training.

IF you need me, I will come.

2 clicks low
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

ScubaSteve

I am sure I am way too far away as I am in Florida but I just did a private shoot for the scouts last weekend. I thought I would share some of the things we did.

First I guess it is important to say much has changed in the Boy Scouts since I was in. There are Girls in there now and they have several related groups like the Venturing scouts. Ours was a mixed group with more girls than boys.

On Saturday we ran an Appleseed as normal. The only difference was we tried to focus our history (3 strikes) on the youth of the time. Still did our strikes but spent more time on the younger generations involvement. DOM was handled the same way with as many kid related stories as we could.

On Sunday we changed things up.  We started the day with a very quick recap of everything, as we normally do, then by lunch broke the line into 3 groups. On one end we had scouts that wanted to work on their merit badge, working on the requirements. In the middle we ran AQTs and on the other end we shot center fire at distance. Garands, AR 15 AR 10 even an AK-47.  The entire line stayed on one set of line commands and we just shot when the line was hot and stopped with it was cold with the AQT time limits.

One interesting thing we did and I cant take credit for it at all. One of the BSA requirements are that you shoot several groups that can be covered by a quarter at 50 ft. Appleseed does not normally run at 50 ft so the math wiz instructors working the shoot figured out what the equivalent group size would be at our distance. That greatly simplified our line because we did not have move some backers closer and off the berm.

On a side note. BSA requirements allow them to shoot from supported positions including benches and sandbags. With our set up our folks shot almost everything from the prone position with a GI sling. It was getting late and one girl just could not get the last group. Fatigue had set in. We got her an ammo can to help support the rifle and got that last group.

hope this helps in some small way.

Steve

Pain Killer

I am curious about the details on how you accomplished their merit badges. I have been working on adjusting our COF to meet their needs and I could use some guidance. After reading the merit badge handbook it seems like they are required to have single shot or a bolt action rifle, shoot only from a supported position with a rest for the barrel and from 50 feet. I see how you addressed the 50 feet but did you do that the entire 2 days until they shot the score required for the merit badge? Also the Scouts use a specific target to acquire the score necessary to acquire the Merit Badge, how did you get around this? I would love to get my hands on you adjusted COF, we should collaborate so that they can get the rifle Merit badge and the American Heritage badge. If we can offer Troops 2 badges in a weekend, they will be knocking down our doors and we will easily fill our lines.

Thanks,
PK

ScubaSteve

To be completely fair one of the red hats on the line was also the scout master so i had lots of help with this.   The bottom line is the BSA standards recently changed. They are a little more Appleseed friendly. You no longer have the requirement of single shot rifle. That was the big issue in working it into a normal COF.   Below is my understanding of the shooting portion of the current standards and how we achieved them.

1. Using a .22 caliber rimfire rifle and shooting from a bench rest or supported prone position at 50 feet, fire five groups (three shots per group) that can be covered by a quarter. 

Squares target and a tape measure due to not shooting it at 50 feet.  Supported prone is a general term in my opinion. Is a sling a support? Our guys did it with a sling only in prone and the scout leader and I agreed this was harder than the standard and well within the requirements. When needed for that last shot we gave the shooter an ammo can to support the rifle. Again within the rules as that was a true support.

Using these targets, explain how to adjust sights to zero. Adjust sights to center the group on the target*   This is just IMC

and fire five groups (five shots per group). According to the target used, each shot in the group must meet the following minimum score: (1) A-32 targetsâ€"9; (2) A-17 or TQ-1 targetsâ€"7; (3) A-36 targetsâ€"5. 

These targets are available on line but They can be  adapted to a current Appleseed target.  You just have to measure.

Pain Killer

We are on for this event!!! Instructors, please sign up as soon as you can so we can get a head count

Thanks

Pain Killer

We need .22 bolt action or single shot rifles for this event. BSA does not allow Semi Auto's at their sanctioned events. Any Scout weekend organized by a Troop is considered a sanctioned event. Please let me know here or PM if you can lend one of these rifles on March 30 in Ramseur to a Boy Scout. Would love to have you as an Instructor as well.

Thanks,
PK

Pain Killer

Thank you for your responses! Do to logistics, this event will take place October 26 and 27. Please let me know if you can attend and if you can lend a .22 bolt action rifle single shot or magazine fed. If you are an NRA certified rifle instructor or RSO, that is a plus but not an absolute.

Thanks,

PK