News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Marriottsville, MD (AGC Baltimore) Sat-Sun Dec 08-09, 2018

Started by WhyWon, December 11, 2018, 06:07:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhyWon

It was balmy 30ºF when we started on Sat Dec 08 and was similiarly sweltering on Sun Dec 09 at AGC of Baltimore in Marriottsville, MD.  We had a total of 16 shooters on Saturday, and a total of 13 shooters on Sunday, most of whom were first time attendees.Without a doubt - due solely to the exceptional instruction I offered this weekend* - we saw some phenomenal shooting.

Captain Morning's Shingle:

• Sat am:  4 shooters
  • Sat pm: 6 shooters
  • Sun am: 6 shooters
  • Sun pm: 6 shooters

Rifleman AQT scores:

• Dave F.: 218, 232
  • Jonn F: 211, 233, 226, 226
  • Charles E. S.**: 213, 229, 232 (scope)

MD Front Sight Patch: (Cleared RedCoat)

• Sun am & pm:  Dave F. , John F.***, Charles E. S.***

MD Distinguished Rifleman: (Cleared RedCoat and an AQT > 230 w/ iron sights or AQT > 240 w/ scope)

• Sun: Dave F. with a 232 w/ iron sights

NavyBowHunter (Chris M.) did a surprise drop-in "hello" as he was shooting in an NRA high-power match @ AGC.  Always fun to see Chris!

Despite the chilly conditions, all our Appleseeders did a phenomenal jobs of learning and applying the 6 Steps, SHF, and NPOA as the weekend progressed.   

I was really happy to see groups tightening up so well, with Appleseeders rapidly diagnosing their own SHF defects. 

On Sunday, I had misplaced my stack of square sighter targets and so we improvised using a stack of 5'x7' index cards with two 1'" squares drawn in markers. That was all that was needed to get folks confirming their zeros!

During a break on Saturday, Dave and John expressed interest in getting a Ruger Precision Rifle in 6.5 Creedmoor (RPR6.5).  I told them I have one of those outfitted with a "hearing protection device" and that I'll bring Sunday for everyone to try out. 

Below are a couple pics of two shooters enjoying the trigger and greatly reduced noise and recoil.  The RPR6.5 brought a similar smile to everyone's face who tried it.

Many thanks to:

• AGC Baltimore and their vigilant and courteous RSOs for being great supporters of MD Appleseed
  • Bob and Jim for preparing and shuttling 20+ target frames to and from the range
  • Dan (Etervigila, IIT) for helping on Sunday including braving the elements to watch the line while I did history indoors, and
  • All our safe and teachable jovial attendees who diligently returned all loaner gear

Thanks again everyone and I hope to see you all again soon on the path to gunlightenment.

V/R,

WhyWon

* = Humor: Dave F. used to compete in NRA matches and definitely knew which end was up on his rifle.
** = Returning Appleseeder, requailified as Rifleman.
*** = !!!! These attendees are due a MD FSP !!!
NRA Patron • GOA Life • SAF Life • MSI Life • VCDL • RWVA
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Ramseur, 2-12 !