News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

ISO Kids Safe Instructor Team

Started by StevenK, November 21, 2018, 08:38:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StevenK

Anyone who is a blue, orange, red, or green hat with a PA Kids Safe Compliance certificate please contact StevenK on the forum to form a squad(s) for children's events in the coming year. All instructors at these events have to be PA Kids Safe certified.  All interested and certified persons please call.

Mercedes

Out of curiosity, does this have to do with background checks?

Monkey

Quote from: Mercedes on November 22, 2018, 08:28:02 PM

Yes.

PA law has made it very difficult for the program to instruction children there.
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

TrapperPete

I would call and ask the UP extension office in your county.

I am also an instructor with 4-H Shooting sports in WI and all of our volunteers are required to take a 2 hour training and have a background check our training to instruct shooters is 12 hours additional.

we had an exchange program where Penn youth visited WIS this last summer . every person in the household that was 18 or older had to go through the training . these are the changes after the child abuse scandals in the Penn state youth sports program.

Penn 4-H accepted our youth protection training for WI for the exchange program.

not sure about Penn but WI 4-H shooting sports is the largest youth shooting sports organization in the state with about 5K youth.

not sure how Penn 4-H is but WI tells us No Humanoid targets  and considers the red coats and AQT humanoid. we are working in project Appleseed instruction while using animal or round targets  that are acceptable to the state. a few of my 4-H instructors have not come to Appleseed to better learn the techniques and lessons and one of my 4-H youth leaders is also an orange hat now. as well as encouraging the youth to attend other shoots clinics and events outside of 4-H like Project Appleseed by recognizing participation with a write up and photos about the event as a fair project .

but your county extinction office should be able to help, they have to get every one of their volunteers through the training they should be able to train Appleseed volunteers also.   

Nashville Stage

Quote from: TrapperPete on November 24, 2018, 10:29:04 PM
but your county extinction office should be able to help

So... which branch of the government does that fall under?

;)
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

TrapperPete

it is a co-operative program between the coroners office and the University to find and test the best methods.

you got me , bad spelling and spell check missed it.

Jesse O

Quote from: Mercedes on November 22, 2018, 08:28:02 PM

Under the new law, volunteers must obtain the clearances if they have direct volunteer contact, meaning that they have care, supervision, guidance or control and routine interaction with children. Also, all employees and adult volunteers subject to the background check clearances will be required to recertify all of those clearances every five years, instead of every three years.

In addition, they've added an FBI fingerprint & back ground check; in 2016/2017, sometime around then.
Not only have they added a redundancy , a tertiary redundancy was added. Because you know; the cry for more government "someone has to do something".
Off the top of my head I forget how often the FBI check is; I'm thinking every 3 years.
I'll have to check my paperwork for HTE. 
Jesse

"Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocrities. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence."

Crazyduckhunter

What about border raiders from Ohio? Or any other state? Are we able to obtain this certification that would suffice in PA?

StevenK

JillianM

Hey Steve,
I have PA child abuse clearances and DPW-approved training in child abuse, I would be willing to help out.

Colhavoc138

I hope this issue gets resolved. Both of my kids learned to shoot at PA Appleseeds (Elverson & Manheim). We are from NY. I'd like to get them back out to you folks.
Distinguished Rifleman
Winterseed Rifleman
Maryland Front Sight tabbed
PA Capt Morgan Rifleman Unit tabbed
NYS EMTB/NREMT/TCCC/TECC

azmule

Not even an exception if a parent is right there on the line next to them?  That makes as much sense as the whole recent ITAR flap.
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

Charles McKinley

Quote from: azmule on January 23, 2019, 03:35:15 PM
Not even an exception if a parent is right there on the line next to them?  That makes as much sense as the whole recent ITAR flap.

Goobermint is what you get in place of common sense.  I called it the "Youth Volunteer Program Desimination Act."  It has had its desired effect of crippling volunteer organizations with paperwork and driving away volunteers that refuse to be guilty until proven innocent.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

azmule

So what does this mean for PA Appleseeds?  Are minors now allowed only at "special" childrens events staffed by instructors with this certification?  What if a walk-on brings kids to an event with uncertified instructors - they get sent home?  What is involved in getting this special permission slip?
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

EZ3

This is what it means for PA Appleseeds:

Due to PA State Law minors are not allowed at an Appleseed.

https://goappleseednow.org/?event=slippery-rock-pa-appleseed-june-1-2-2019

Attendance, host venues and instructors have all been declining over the last two years since this went into effect.
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Guntuckian

The click through to the law is here:

https://law.justia.com/codes/pennsylvania/2014/title-23/chapter-63/section-6344.2

I have read through it 3 times, and I still don't understand why the 10 year period mentioned in the law is there, among a lot of other details in the law.  (My wife is originally from Pennsylvania, and moved to Florida when she was 10 years old.  The laws there sure have changed since she left Pennsylvania!)
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

EZ3

Quote from: Guntuckian on May 29, 2019, 03:13:26 AM
The click through to the law is here:

https://law.justia.com/codes/pennsylvania/2014/title-23/chapter-63/section-6344.2

I have read through it 3 times, and I still don't understand why the 10 year period mentioned in the law is there, among a lot of other details in the law.  (My wife is originally from Pennsylvania, and moved to Florida when she was 10 years old.  The laws there sure have changed since she left Pennsylvania!)

Knee-jerk reaction by the legislature to the Jerry Sandusky scandal at Penn State.  Obviously not well thought out or focused.
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Quarterbore

I am a Scout leader and the way Scots get around this is by making events "Parent Child" so a parent is there to supervise and have responsibility.  I don't see Appleseed being any different.  If Appleseed does do programs where kids are left with instructors without parents then I absolutely agree policies need to be in place including a minimum of two instructors, background checks and a buddy system for kids. 

I certainly hope this doesnt cause Appleseed issues in PA as I've had three of my four kids do the program and two of them did it more than once.  My youngest is 10 and he is about ready to do a class too.
My guns are not worth your life, but freedom and liberty are worth mine