News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Chugiak Alaska, BRSP Oct 13-14

Started by FourFans, October 16, 2018, 05:29:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FourFans

PAID IN FULL

As Appleseed volunteers, we often joke that we get "paid" by making Riflemen. And I want my money.
"Overtime" being defined as students asking for even more history, intelligent well thought out questions about the history, or " how do we get even more into the history".

This weekend, Appleseed Alaska got "paid" IN FULL.  9 Riflemen from 11 students, including 2 Distinguished Riflemen and a new Orange Hat. Unreal. It really must be some kind of record.

Saturday pre-dawned wet and cool with the promise of getting wetter, not undoable but boarder-line miserable. The students all showed early enough to allow us to start before 9. That should have been the first clue.  This group is more on-point than the usual group.

We had our POI interrupted by a presentation from AK State Rep (AK Rifleman 122) Dave Eastman, honoring Appleseed Alaska, passed thru both houses. VERY cool,, but it got us off to an awkward start. We recovered and produced 3 Riflemen. Riflemen who probably walked in the door Riflemen, just needing a chance to prove it.

The tale of two RANGERS  (google it)

Army RANGER #1:  goaded into attending the clinic by a friend, can only shoot Saturday because of a Daughter's birthday on Sunday. One AQT, One 227. He's moving in two weeks to join the 75th Ranger Batt. Those are the guys who do Ranger stuff 24/7.

Army RANGER #2: just graduated Ranger school, and after a week of leave, needs to report to his next duty station (FT. Rich) at 0500. This one took a little work, on Sunday: "No,, I will NOT let you sneak out at 1400". You can leave at 1400,, but not until I've made a big deal about you making RIFLEMAN and RANGER in the same month.. Standing ovation.

Both of these Rangers telling my students to listen to us is priceless. Kinda like the two snipers we had two years ago. Given my background, I'll choke it down knowing we are doing something right.

This is not to belittle the accomplishments of the rest of this group. This group was at a rare level of attention, and I think the events and weather of Saturday delayed our noticing it. They shined on Sunday. I gave away Alaska's first two Distinguished Rifleman bars, one to a 15 years young lady. A wife out shot her husband by 1, both qualifying. Our "red lantern" shot a 210 on the last AQT, and was baptized with North Bridge water (I warned them all in Saturday).

9 out of 11

An excellent group, an excellent Instructor corps, and excellent material; I can't find another explanation.
The ALASKA Cadre got paid IN FULL  I even got a little overtime.

--FF

PIX to follow.
"should something happen,,tell the children of this night".
   --credited to Capt Parker, April 18th '75

22 A DAY

Lucky Lori

WOW  what a shoot and what a bunch. Congratulations to everyone great job. I would have helped but we had hurricane   Micheal , no power, and no flights  leaving town. I know appleseed excuse # 127. We will  be having an event here in Tallahassee 1 week after the storm with some brave people who made it through our storm  huzzah! Lucky  Lori

hogfamily

Anchorage Suburbanites, part time Willowbillies, Appleseeds, and Weekend Warrior Turquoise Miners.

"Move that fat ass Henry!"
"Don't swing your balls or you'll swamp the boat!"

Engineer shooting

First shooter I ever saw score on the first AQT on Saturday? Veteran, US Army Ranger! He said he still learned a lot and came back a received an Orange hat!
If I knew the world would perish tomorrow, I would still plant my apple tree.        Martin Luther

FourFans

Oh,, and.

I forgot to add this little gem.

A commendation passed through both  the Alaska House and Senate honoring the Alaska Appleseed volunteers. Fisherdawg even made a cameo appearance to help receive it.
"should something happen,,tell the children of this night".
   --credited to Capt Parker, April 18th '75

22 A DAY

scuzzy

Quote from: FourFans on October 17, 2018, 06:08:35 PM
A commendation passed through both  the Alaska House and Senate honoring the Alaska Appleseed volunteers. Fisherdawg even made a cameo appearance to help receive it.

Rockin'
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.