News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

KD ammo

Started by armbrat, October 11, 2018, 12:41:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armbrat

Hey all, I'm attending the KD event in November at Talladega.  I'm very excited!

I plan on taking my 1:9 AR.  I need to buy some more ammo.  Usually I buy 55gr 5.56 or 62gr.  I also noted that the FAQ shows that 250 rds are required.

My questions are: what type of ammo for the rifle above and is 250 enough?

Thanks!

Super Trooper

Every rifle has different ammo tastes, but I've had excellent results with Wolf Gold.
The hardest distance to shoot is the six inches between your ears.  It gets easier when you get out of your own way.  Self doubt and negative self talk have no place on the firing line. 
Once a shot is gone... good or bad, it is gone.   Focus on the next one. Make forty good first shots.

Maximum Ordinate

Good morning!

Pre-event info was emailed to all shooters this past weekend.  Please let me know if you didn't receive it.

To answer your question directly, I recommend 350 rounds of the same brand & grain (and lot if a possible.)

It's been hashed out all over the internet, but a 1:9 twist barrel should be able to stabilize bullets up to 69 grain.  People have been successful at KDs with quality 55g ammo, so you have a number of choices.

Please let me know if you need any other info that's not in your pre-event packet.

v/r
MO
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

armbrat

I just registered yesterday and didn't receive the pre-event info.  I just PMd you.

Are green tips OK?  Just in case it's not in the packet.

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: armbrat on October 11, 2018, 01:06:12 PM
I just registered yesterday and didn't receive the pre-event info.  I just PMd you.

Are green tips OK?  Just in case it's not in the packet.

Excellent.  We were sold out last week.  Glad you could get into the clinic!  I've forwarded you a copy of the packet.

At one point, CMP management didn't want us shooting the green tip 62g ammo as the steel penetrator could damage their targeting systems.  They've relaxed that concern recently.

I concur with my colleague about 55g Wolf Gold, as it's served me well.  Of course, your rifle gets the final vote.  Some are just picky.   #)

I hope this helps.

v/r
MO
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

armbrat

Thank you all.  I'm going to go with 55gr FMJ.  See you in a couple weeks!