News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Have I been here too long?

Started by PHenry, October 09, 2018, 12:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHenry

My first event was in January of 2007. I took a "hat" (no orange hats then) in early 2008. It's been a blur since then. So much so that I missed a lot along the way. Stuff that vols who came in later might take for granted. I never took a PC, because they didn't exist. The original forum (very different from current) was where you qual'd to instruct at all. You had to answer questions and a seasoned instructor had to check your answers before giving the nod for you being allowed to work an event. Nuts and bolts stuff mostly.

The other day I stumbled across a post by Fred from many years ago, intended to help a new instructor navigate becoming an Appleseeder. I found plenty of good info  - even for an old-timer like me. Some I knew from my early mentors, Fred included, and some stuff I picked up or figured out along the trail.

Have I been here too long? Well, that's just silly.  I just need to make sure I stay informed, alert and active - same as any other volunteer, old or new.  ^-^

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=25128.0

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

stoneknives

I stand with the Mission my friend.

H
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

colonial shooter

I hear ya PH. I feel this way too, as I also have been here a long as you (maybe longer)! I learn more each time I go out. I will also admit that I feel long in the tooth and look for that Replacement for myself. Stay on mission my brother.
"When the government fears the people there is liberty; when the people fear the government there is tyranny." --Thomas Jefferson

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Plato

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." - George Santayana

Monkey

100% agree - even if the name of your thread is total clickbait... ;D
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

EZ3

PHenry, you are starting to sound like Bill Monroe...

"I've laid around and played around this old town too long
summers almost gone, winters coming on
I've laid around and played around this old town too long
and I feel like I've gotta travel on..."
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

PHenry

Periodical, I like to browse some of the old stuff I have held on to - in more ways than one.

I have an original POI from former MI JuniorBirdman. I have IBC notes from former MI SonofMartha. I have JB's old "CLR", intended to "knock the rust off" as he put it, prior to every event. My early mentors indoctrinated me so well, that I get to thinking I invented more than I really did, or that any of it is really "new".

So much of what we take for granted was worked out a long time ago by Fred and a small number of very dedicated, intelligent, skilled and passionate Patriots.

"Clickbait" To some extent, yes, it was.  ^-^

So many distractions in our world, sometimes it takes something unusual to get people's attention. We tend, as humans, to discard the old, assuming it is outdated or useless. Just look at how the traditions of the Founders are treated in our country today. Browsing the stuff that the founders of the program put down on paper helps keep me centered on the mission. Keeps me from drifting or thinking I invented anything here.

Now in some respects, I have been here too long. I might have so successfully replaced myself that I would no longer be needed in any capacity and could get back to my personal life, which after 11 years of Appleseeding is in dire need of attention.  :wb:

But, can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata