News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Skowhegan KD, 1 day, September 22, 2018

Started by TOMINCT, September 27, 2018, 10:26:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TOMINCT

Some very windy conditions started the day at Skowhegan Sportsman's club for our KD shoot. Eleven shooters with a can do attitude made for a great event. Although limited to 300 yards, the range maximum, it made for an interesting and practical course of fire.

We had some wind that started Friday evening gusting to about 40 mph. By morning it had shifted direction and was still in the 30-40 mph category. This on a range that never has any wind! Fortunately it was coming in from 6 o'clock and didn't affect grouping as bad as it could have.

223 cal. SA rifles were pre eminent, but there also were 7.62 X 39 and a 308 bolt in attendance. Most fired with scopes or an optic but there were 3 shooters firing with iron sights

Of those participating the high scores of each shooter were the following: Kevin-49, Brian-48, Mark-46, Ami-46, Matt-46, mwolf-44, Larry-42, Mike-41. Brian also used a 2nd rifle and fired a 42 for score on the last AQT. 

More than a few things were passed along as far as info regarding firing at distance, under field conditions. We went over the KD handout and had some extra info to add from other sources as well.

All told it was a great day. I'd like to thank the Skowhegan Sportsman's Club for hosting the shoot. They have been a strong supporter of Appleseed in that area of the state and we look forward to hosting events there in the future.

The participants were a good group to work with. About half were instructors and everyone was ready for the day's activities.

A Rifleman persists.

crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

The Old Guide

It was a most enjoyable shoot and the club invited us back for the usual July 20/21 for 2019.

I have a Ruger Mini-14. I can keep my rounds in the black with an occasional flyer in all positions, but I cannot run a 2 and 8 with this rifle using 30 round magazines. I'll try it in my local gravel pit with my factory 5 round mag which is required for hunting here in Maine. If that works, I'll bring it to a future KD shoot. I have never had a failure to feed or a misfire with this rifle. I have an M-14 that readily drops magazines as do my other rifles. I recommend that anybody intending to attend an Appleseed shoot to verify that their rifle will allow 10 rounds in 55 seconds with a mag change. It sure was a surprise to me that my Mini-14 is inadequate for that purpose with 30 round mags.

The three bolt rifles on the line were very accurate and I have been looking at a Ruger precision rifle. 
Our history is not a list of dates and places. It is a dynamic adventure of freedom and individual courage.

Crak's IBC, August 2010.
Fred's AIBC, April 2011
kDan's IBC, March 2012
Northeast SC Confab, Feb. 13

Boreas

A great day at the range! Huge thanks to the Appleseed staff and to the folks at the Skowhegan Sportsman's Club for a very well run, safe, and enjoyable event. Short video I put together...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d99yHt-qcpg

Parallax

Thank you Boreas for putting together the video! Here are a few pictures of the day.