News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Guntersville, AL August 25-26, 2018

Started by Google, August 29, 2018, 11:40:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Google

Wow, what a fantastic weekend we had at the Blue & Gray Rifle & Pistol Club in Guntersville, AL! 

First and foremost, I want to thank Blue & Gray.  For the past several years Appleseed is the only outside group they have allowed to use their range.  They close for the entire weekend, don't charge range fees, and provide us a great facility.  Thank you!!

Next, I'll talk about this group of shooters.  Maybe I should say group of Riflemen.  We had 8 new Riflemen out of the 11 shooters at this event and 1 requalification.  All but two of the new Riflemen were attending their first Appleseed.  The only 2 that didn't qualify weren't able to return on Sunday, otherwise I'm convinced they would have pushed over the threshold as well.  I'm going to say it again -- Wow.  ^:)^ :---

This group showed up early Saturday morning ready to go.  Everyone had their equipment on the line before 8:30am so we jumped right in with a Redcoat target and proceeded with instruction.  It was obvious they were familiar with their equipment and had some experience with a rifle, but each and every one of them was attentive to instruction and were very appreciative to the instructors.  Their squares targets showed that they had put our instruction into practice.  After a pause for IMC we did carding the sights and mag change drills followed by seated and standing instruction. 

When the first AQTs were scored we had three Riflemen:  Trent, Ira, and Tyler, who scored 238 with a bolt action.   :bow:
Ira and Tyler would repeat their Rifleman scores on every AQT they shot during the event, with Tyler eventually scoring 240 (with his bolt action) and earning his Distinguished bar.  :bow: :bow:

On Sunday morning Will stepped up with a 210 and a got a refreshing bit of water from the North Bridge.  Jeff followed with an impressive 225; he had been chasing the patch in four events  :beer:
After a break for Ball and Dummy Anthony, Thomas, and Matthew staked their claim on a brand new patch.  ^:)^

I've already told you what great shooters these guys are.  What I haven't talked about yet is how much we enjoyed working with them.  It's always a treat to have families on the line and this weekend there was an extended family of 3 adults and 3 teenagers and another teenager there with his father.  Everyone there seemed  to enjoy the marksmanship instruction and history equally and were active listeners throughout the weekend.  That always brings a smile to my face.

Congratulations to all the Riflemen and we hope to see you again on the trail!
(P.S.  I have a stack of Orange Hats waiting)

Group photo

Thomas showing us how it's done

Anthony rocking the centerfire

Tyler with one of his many qualifying targets

Ira is a man who knows what he's about

Applecore MtnOakBz (Susan) getting some trigger time

Trent showing off the score

Two fine young men, Trent and Anthony

Thomas couldn't be outdone by Anthony

Mixed Metaphor

I echo all that Google said!  Weather was better than expected and the Shooters were outstanding.  I can't begin to express what a pleasure it was to work with this group.  My hat is off to the parents of four of the young men that were there.  These were the most courteous, respectful young people I've seen in quite some time.  Their parents (and Grandparents-Ira) should be VERY proud!   :bow:

I appreciate the other instructors for working with me and helping me improve.     O0
May Liberty Increase,

J. Gary Smith

Alabama