News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR - Monroe, WI Aug 25-26 2018

Started by Kholin, August 26, 2018, 10:39:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kholin

A wonderful weekend for Liberty! 

:F A group of nine shooters joined us at Green County Rifle Club in Monroe, WI, for a wonderful Appleseed.  4 of our 9 shooters (Bob, Neil, Chris, and Jim) scored Rifleman, and a few more are knocking hard on that door (low 200's).   :---

In addition, TurkeyTrot took the seventh step, and will be joining us as an Instructor in Training.   ..:..

Could not ask for a better group of men to spend a weekend with.  Huzzah!

A great job to all who joined us there, and a huge thank you to GCRC for hosting us.  I would also like to pass on my thanks to Slothman, Steel Dragon, Beek, and TrapperPete, who all helped to make this weekend such a success  :bow: :bow:

Slothman and TrapperPete will be adding the photos they took shortly

Kholin

---
"Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination." - The Way of Kings, Brandon Sanderson

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."― Tom Paine

"We must be willing to pay a price for freedom." -H.L. Mencken

"The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all." -H.L. Mencken

Cheezy

Here is a perspective of a newbie to Appleseed. It was harder than I thought it would be, I'm assuming most others feel the same way. I guess if it was easy the patch wouldn't mean much, right? I was thoroughly impressed with the all the Instructors. It is obvious that they are extremely dedicated to this program and spend a lot of their spare time preparing for the event and then they tie up an entire weekend to put it on, wow is all I can say. Good show, men. It was great getting to know everyone. We made some new friendships, picked on each other a little, and literally had a blast. I'm pretty sure we were all wiped out at the end, our ammo as well as our bodies were spent.  :F

Huzzah!
Cheezy

TrapperPete

pictures

TrapperPete

more pictures to come but I have to resize them before the forum will take them, the file size is over the limit

CatDoc

First Appleseed. Lessons learned beyond marksmanship and history:

1) 88ºF, 90% humidity are not fun. I don't know how folks at venues without shade manage it.
- Ice pack and ice cubes under arms, hat, and small of back saved me when I ran out of room for ice-water.
- Ear muffs are hot, -32dB plugs are not.

2) Kneeling saves valuable time on stage 2 when you have a gut or bad joints.
3) I have accepted Blue Loctite into my heart. An undetected loose scope mount issue on Day 1 maxed me at a 208, with ever-widening groups and frustration I initially blamed on the heat. :slap:

I would likely have achieved my best score day 2 with yet another borrowed 10/22, but
         -=Zeus=- declared the day OVER half-way through the last AQT with lightning.
:bow::bow::bow:

Thanks to all instructors for a safe, informative, memorable experience.
A handy Chart of 20th century "Gun Control" laws, and the 75 MILLION disarmed citizens subsequently murdered by their own government.

Democide: murder by a citizen's own government. In the 20th century, four to six times as many people died by their own government as death in all wars. Democide has murdered about as many people as all wars, all murder, and alcohol, and traffic accidents combined.

TrapperPete

resized photos , if you would like the original file message me

TrapperPete

did anyone else who was partaking of the pickles notice a lack of leg cramps?

I was reminded by leg cramps this morning (up and down the ladder working on the house yesterday)that I didn't have any Sunday or Monday even though I know I got behind on water Sunday.

I know I was so zapped by the heat Sunday I started drinking the pickle juice when the pickles were all gone and I think that really helped with the leg cramps.

I had started with the pickles after getting dehydrated after an KD event last august a big help in re-hydrating.

I started doing some reading about Pickles/pickle juice this morning for athletes after races and training and the sports writers are saying that as little as 2oz of pickle juice after a race may be all it takes to keep post race cramping down. Doctors think it is the vinegar and that it is a reaction our body starts even before we could have possibly absorbed the nutrients of the pickle but the sodium helps with electrolyte replacement. turmeric and mustard also have good properties for muscle cramping making pickles sort of a trifecta of hydration and nutrient replacement.

I think Pickles are going to be a staple for me for Appleseeds going forward.   

Cheezy

I propose your new Appleseed name should be "Pickle Pete". That has a great ring to it. LOL

I do agree with what your saying tho. :~

Cheezy

Slothman

What a great Appleseed!  Thanks to all of the shooters for bringing their willingness to learn - you were a fantastic group!   The heat and humidity was definitely a contributing factor this weekend, and thankfully the rain held off until the end.  Way to go making it through that. 

Congrats to all who achieved Rifleman - and those who almost made it! 

Welcome to the other side, TurkeyTrot!   I know you'll be a great asset to Appleseed!

Thanks again to the GCRC.  You guys have a great range that just keeps getting better.

Remember to use the 3 boxes that Gary talked to us about!  Soap Box, Ballot Box, Jury Box!  Marksmanship is how we connect with our heritage, and the heritage we have is preserved through using those!  Tell your friends! 

Thanks for making the weekend great, guys. 

I've got a number of pics incoming.  I tried using the portrait setting on my phone … I think they came out all right!

-Jeff
2015-06-06 - Appleseed 1 / Rifleman - Eagle/McMiller, WI
2016-04-16 - Appleseed 2 / IIT - Lodi, WI
2017-08-27 - "Red Hat" Instructor - Monroe, WI

Slothman

2015-06-06 - Appleseed 1 / Rifleman - Eagle/McMiller, WI
2016-04-16 - Appleseed 2 / IIT - Lodi, WI
2017-08-27 - "Red Hat" Instructor - Monroe, WI

Bobasan

I apologize for the delay in getting this posted but I was having trouble getting registered for the forum.

This was my very first experience with Appleseed and I am very pleased with everything I saw from the training and instructors.  One thing I am very pleased to see and that I feel I need to point out is that the instructors have to have a good level of shooting competency to become instructors and everyone I interfaced with certainly displayed their understanding.

Things I learned over the course of the shoot:

1.  Shooting offhand with a sling.  This really blew my mind and I need to practice it more.

2.  I found that shooting the reduced targets was actually a bit more challenging than shooting the single targets at distance due to the need to shift positions between targets.  I must be getting old.

3.  Like CatDoc, I was reminded that blue Loctite is your friend.  I didn't have my scope mounted correctly, thanks TrapperPete for catching that, or Loctited.  That really had me starting out Saturday very messy.

4.  Take out the empty chamber indicator before you drop the bolt on your AR.  I did this at least half a dozen times. This really slows you down during the rapid fire stages. 

5.  Don't work all night before the event and expect to be coherent come time to shoot.  I apologize if I was out of it Saturday.

Again had a great time, learned some new things and had a good history refresher.  Oh, one other thing to mention was the rapid fire team shoot that we did.  I don't remember what it was called but that was great fun.  Instructors, thank you again for a great event.

Bob
What goes around comes around and sometimes, for good or ill, I am what is coming around.

CatDoc

So, looking at the weather station in North edge of Monroe, WI, very close to the range, had a high temp of 93.6F, and 87% humidity on Aug 26. That's a heat index of 136F.

>:D  Infernoseed !   >:D
A handy Chart of 20th century "Gun Control" laws, and the 75 MILLION disarmed citizens subsequently murdered by their own government.

Democide: murder by a citizen's own government. In the 20th century, four to six times as many people died by their own government as death in all wars. Democide has murdered about as many people as all wars, all murder, and alcohol, and traffic accidents combined.