News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Wright City, MO July 14-15, 2018

Started by 209Ken, July 18, 2018, 07:23:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

209Ken

What a hot weekend! Fourteen patriots braved the heat and humidity to learn some heritage and marksmanship. Thank you shooters for staying safe, staying hydrated, and knowing your limits. Safety this weekend went beyond the 4 rules. Instructors can not see dehydration or heat exhaustion as easily as a muzzle sweep. That had to be monitored by each individual. You guys did great, and I appreciate that.

We did not have any new riflemen, but Russ made up for that by re-qualifying many times with his AK. I saw shooters make great strides, groups got smaller, and scores got higher. Charles, Kirk, Bryan, and Andrew, you guys are all on the verge, do not get discouraged. A Rifleman persists!

I will get some pictures up soon, but I don't think they can convey the oppressive heat that we dealt with all weekend. If anyone else took some pictures, or wants to share comments - please post them!
Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe. - Abraham Lincoln

209Ken

Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe. - Abraham Lincoln

Snow Snake

Congrats to all.Huzzah to Russ using an AK.Was it a stock model?I've not seen one used at an Appleseed.
                                  Ken                             :F
Without Knowledge,Skill cannot be focused.Without Skill,Strength cannot be brought to bear and without Strength,Knowledge may not be applied.
   - Alexander The Great
"The other side of every fear is a freedom."- Ferguson
" Hey Mikey, I'm about to punch that time clock"-Lone Survivor

Flintlock54

The ak Russ used is stock but it is US made (at least the barrel) and is much higher quality than the basic model. Has a manual bolt lock back too.

Too bad the photos can't  show how HOT it was. I only spent 1 day and was whipped. My hat is off the the shooters. It was a tough one for you guys
Acts 22:28. I was freeborn

Chazzle

The first day was pretty much in full sunlight, but offering a great review and reinforcement of the fundamentals.  I never get tired of listening to the history portions during the day.  I made my goal of a Sharpshooter goal with a score of 191 on the last AQT on Saturday! 
On Sunday we were lucky to get a few clouds and a brief rainstorm before the humidity really started pounding us.  There were a few complaints, but everyone still stuck with it!  Towards the end of Sunday, Brian brought out his U.S. Postal Meter M1 Carbine for an AQT, and it was neat to see that in action.  I felt inspired and brought out my '54 HRA Garand to do an AQT.  It was tough without a 2 rnd match clip, but I already have one ordered for next time.  The M1917 leather sling actually felt more comfortable to use albeit more complicated to use. 
I didnt beat my 191 score on Sunday, but I did get a few 170's.  I am inspired to keep practicing keeping the front post in focus (hard to do), and find a way to practice kneeling and prone before October.  My uncle is already looking forward to participating on the next one!

Thanks to all the Instructors during the weekend for their dedication and help for us participants!

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
~Thomas Paine (1777)

NPOA is a cruel mistress....ignore her, and you'll be sorry! ~Chazzle (2019)

Chazzle

I just got my 2-round Garand clip in the mail!  With this and a full 8 rnd clip, I can correctly complete a stage of the AQT without having to fumble with partial clips and such.  The clip is made by AEC and was about $3.50.

See you in October!

Charles

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it."
~Thomas Paine (1777)

NPOA is a cruel mistress....ignore her, and you'll be sorry! ~Chazzle (2019)

thursday

if you do one good deed your reward usually is to be set to to do another and harder and better one.-C.S.Lewis

It takes a lifetime to build a good reputation, and fifteen minutes to build a bad one.-My Dad