News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Marion Ohio KD Jun 30/July 1, 2018

Started by Corvette, July 02, 2018, 04:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

We had our first ever KD event at Meeker Sportsman Center this past weekend and it was a complete success.  The shoot was sold out and in spite of brutal weather (90+/90+ on temp and humidity) the shooters persisted throughout the weekend.  Saturday opened with the normal welcome and safety brief.  This was followed by a KD/IMC review and a discussion of strategies on how to approach the KD weekend.  Shooters were told to decide if they are going to adjust sights for each distance or are they going to work with a BSZ and different aim points for each stage.

Next we went through sighting strings of fire at all four distances with sight adjustments and confirmation strings shot at each one.  During our breaks, we did flag history and the shooters enjoyed a profile of Paul Revere's life both before and after April 19th at lunch.

By mid-afternoon, we were ready to shoot our first AQT.  Results were strong with two people shooting a qualifying score.  A second AQT was shot but the heat had taken its toll and scores fell. 

Sunday was hot and humid again and the shooters powered through a total of four more AQTs.  In the end we had six people qualify out of 10 shooters.  Huzzah.  More to follow but I wanted to get an AAR up for the shooters. 

Thanks to Dom, Cadence, and Wetsight for helping with the event. 

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Corvette

Marion KD shooters, 

:pics:

Let's get those pictures posted.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Corvette

Additional AAR info.

Congratulations to our new Full Distance shooters from the Marion event.

On the first AQT, we had 4 people who qualified.
Dom (Instructor-requalification)  34
Vince                                        32
James (Instructor)                     33
Rob                                          37

Rob followed up his strong 37 with another qualifying score of 32 on Sunday and then shot the weekend high score of 38 on our final AQT of the weekend.

Rick, an Appleseed Instructor from Wyoming who joined us for the weekend on his way to visit family in VA, came close on Sunday morning with a 31 and qualified on the next AQT with a 33. 

Rob's father struggled much of the weekend with his rifle and after much fiddling with his gas block finally got it right and shot a 32 on his final AQT to join our list of Full Distance Riflemen.  That means we had six of ten shooters qualify during the weekend.  Huzzah. 

Your Shoot Boss had the chance to shoot a couple of the AQT's at this event but unfortunately, I didn't have the skills and dope on my rifle to make the cut.  But, Riflemen persist and I will take another shot at it next weekend at New Philly.  Congratulations to all our KD Riflemen on their success this weekend.

Corvette

vino

As always, thanks to Corvette and the other Appleseed instructors for putting on an outstanding shoot.  This was my first time shooting at 400 yards.  At first, it sure looks intimidating.  Those targets look pretty small at 300 and 400 yards.  But you know what, when you get into prone behind your rifle they're the exact same size as the reduced targets at 25m.  It's pretty amazing.  The only difference between shooting an Appleseed at 25 meters vs KD (known distance) is adjusting the clicks on your sights.  I know that's the whole point of training at 25 meters, but it sure was nice to validate it myself.  I encourage everyone to not take my word for it, but once you shoot effectively at 25m to give a KD shoot a try yourself so you can validate this training works for yourself.  Given that, practicing at 25 meters is highly effective (and cheap with a 22lr or you can also practice managing the recoil with a center-fire rifle at 25m).  If practicing at 25m is effective, then dry firing is effective as well.  There are places here on this forum where you can get even further reduced targets to practice at your home.  The only thing that you can't simulate with dry-firing is the recoil and the exact trigger squeeze.  So keep dry firing, keep practicing at 25m, and give the KD Appleseed a try yourself.  Thanks again to all of the Appleseed instructors for putting on a great program. 
Vino

What is necessary to the security of a free state? A well regulated militia - 2nd Amendment

"Who are the Militia? They consist now of the whole people, except for a few public officers."  George Mason

Corvette

Vino,

Great to see you again and thanks for the props on our KD events.  It was a good time but awfully hot. 

Corvette

Cadence

Photos just to prove it happened.
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Cadence

More Photos
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

cwcdl79

My apologies for the lateness of my addition, travels took me out of state right after the event.
Wow! fun first KD at Meeker! being able to shoot from one (mostly) covered firing line made things a lot easier. The opportunity to get data on personal come-ups is invaluable to any serious shooter. Temperature was a struggle, but constant water breaks helped, a little at least. Drew &Rob, it was great seeing you guys again. Hope you get that ammo situation figured out. Darold, it was great seeing an M1 on the line. You handled it like a champ. Doc, wow. I must say, I like all your gear. Great shooting too! Sleepy, great meeting you, and I hope you get a bunch of information to take back home. Nadia, keep practicing, November will be your time! Glad we were able to get your gear sorted out. Until next time...

sleepy

Just got home, and went to the forum to see if this whirlwind couple of weeks really happened, or was just a figment of my imagination. There it is, pics & all!

Marion was a great shoot, heat and all! After putting up rather than shutting up, I have decided shutting up is the better part of valor. No more cracks about "sunshine patriots" from me; the heat and humidity were brutal, and my hat is off to those who came, stayed, and shot. How those poor b@$%@#&s down south do it, I'll never know!

I came away a better shooter, and with a special respect for the power of summer.

Special thanks to Corvette, and his hard working crew of instructors. They worked their tails off in the heat to ensure everyone had a productive and fun time. Prior planning and awareness paid off in ways beyond counting.

Many thanks, also, to the club for it's generosity. The physical plant is sweet, and the members who came by to check us out kept our motivation up; hope to see some members next year!