News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Knob Creek, KY - June 16-17, 2018

Started by dond, June 23, 2018, 05:43:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

Seven shooters, including two walk-ons, a mother and her 10 year old son, assembled Saturday morning at the fantastic Knob Creek Gun Range. It's always a joyous occasion when a parent and son participate in our events. And it is especially so when the parent is a mother. Thankfully, another shooter joined us Sunday. Five of these shooters had been to an Appleseed before and it is always good to get repeat shooters. Three new shooters had planned to attend but the one on which the others depended broke his back in a car accident two weeks before the event. They were all disappointed. And we were too, of course.

These shooters enjoyed the history as well as the marksmanship, and were quick, and accurate, when responding to questions about marksmanship. And this included the 10 year old as well as the adults.

Both days were brutally HOT and we tried to take breaks for relief. And of course the instructors, Google and Wmlyons, performed brilliantly, making everything easier on everyone, especially me.

Several of the shooters shot extremely well from the beginning while others improved steadily. Pat shot his qualifying score Saturday and we were all elated, especially Pat. James had previously shot a Rifleman Score with a 22 but was now trying it with an AR. And he succeeded very well. And then Mark broke through with his qualifying score which pleased everyone. He has already signed up for a KD. And the mother shot a 207!  O0  Just wait until next time.

The weather was so hot and everyone was so exhausted that they were ready for the ending. But they were also very pleased with what they had learned, and with their improvement. And they are ready to return for another try at the Patch.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Guntuckian

A Rifleman perseveres.  So glad to hear about the newly minted expert scores.  And, yes, a 207 score is knocking on the door.  No doubt, next time will be the ticket!

Great job all! 

-- Gary
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

WmLyons

Congratulations to each of the Riflemen who proved themselves this week. Kelly should definitely come back as should Marvin and the others. They were closer each AQT. 
The heat was indeed brutal. At one point Google put a heat meter on the gravel near the firing line and recorded 127 and climbing.  Speaking of Google, HUGE shout out to her for something I observed her doing during her Line Boss duties.  Seeing that hot brass casings were being ejected onto the mat of the 10 year old shooter, she stood between the two shooters and allowed the hot brass to hit her so to protect the child shooter.  Huzzah Google. That was super cool of you..
I need to confess a math error. Mark was so excited to make the Rifleman score, neither of us double checked my addition of the score.  He was looking at it afterward and his actual qualifying score was 226.  Well done Mark.
All in all the weekend was brutally hot but wonderful.  Hope our shooters enjoyed the weekend as much as the Instructors.

WmLyons.

CarrollMS

A salute to the entire Knob Creek Appleseed team for a great shoot. It was good to see Bill and Don again, and to meet Diana from Huntsville controlling the line commands.  I certainly appreciated everyone's assistance that helped to make this a most memorable shoot and to realize my goal for this weekend - Thanks personally to my friend to Bill Lyons for his friendly encouragement on Saturday evening after the day's shooting and Sunday morning's prediction. Thanks to Don for support when my rifle malfunctioned by loaning me a spot-on zeroed 10/22  that proved to be the difference in realizing my quest, as well as later in his expert opinion and advice on ammo when I encountered various issues preventing me from qualifying. Thanks to Diana who took special care that I understood all of the line commands.  Looking forward to September at Park City, and more 25m events to meet some new goals!
"Pro Libertate"
Distinguished,
Known Distance,
Rimfire KD 200