Author Topic: News about Springfield Armory Reproduction Garands and Ammo  (Read 190 times)

Offline Mike AKA Bandaid

• Instructor In Training 1
  • Your enemy is training everyday. Do you?
OK, a litte history. Springfield Armory, (the current company, not the original US Arsenal) started to reproduce M1 Garands several years ago. I have one of these reproduction M1 Garands. Like all M1 owners, I have been cautious about the ammo i used. Last year, I was told that the “new” repro Garands did not need to use the lower pressure M1 ammo, that Springfield had taken that into account, and had strengthened the op rod assembly.

Fast forward a year. I finally got around to emailing Springfield to get the straight poop on the situation. Here is the reply I got.

Even though it has that disclaimer, I HAD to share this info!

So it looks as if you can shoot all modern commercial ammo in the NEW reproduced Garands. They still warn that you could have a slam fire if a primer is not fully seated, or you are using “reloads”. This does NOT apply to older original M1 Garands, just the repro Garands.

Huzzah!!!
« Last Edit: June 12, 2018, 03:34:31 PM by Mike AKA Bandaid »

Offline Al

• Instructor in Training
Re: News about Springfield Armory Reproduction Garands and Ammo
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 09:53:28 PM »
With the price of mixmaster Garands going thru the roof, this is great news for us shooters. I don't have time to load hundreds of rounds anymore, and surplus has dried up. I was unaware of modern M1 reproductions. Thanks for the post.

Online little buddy

• Instructor In Training 3
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2018, 02:59:20 AM »
Springfield no longer produces them. I think they were made for a few years correct me if I am wrong.

Little Buddy

OK, a litte history. Springfield Armory, (the current company, not the original US Arsenal) started to reproduce M1 Garands several years ago. I have one of these reproduction M1 Garands. Like all M1 owners, I have been cautious about the ammo i used. Last year, I was told that the “new” repro Garands did not need to use the lower pressure M1 ammo, that Springfield had taken that into account, and had strengthened the op rod assembly.

Fast forward a year. I finally got around to emailing Springfield to get the straight poop on the situation. Here is the reply I got.

Even though it has that disclaimer, I HAD to share this info!

So it looks as if you can shoot all modern commercial ammo in the NEW reproduced Garands. They still warn that you could have a slam fire if a primer is not fully seated, or you are using “reloads”. This does NOT apply to older original M1 Garands, just the repro Garands.

Huzzah!!!

Offline TOMINCT

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 10:18:47 AM »
 They've had runs on them, from early 1980's on. I've one purchased about 1985, 30-06, new std grade. Lots of USGI parts and a new receiver and barrel. Serial #'s start at 7,000,000, FYI. They were made until the large influx of foreign owned M1's arrived here, that ended the manufacture of them, more or less. Mine shot well, used in some local HP shoots, no complaints.

That said I wouldn't use just any ammo in it. It's a design aspect, not metalurgy, that it be fired with ammo that is close to USGI arsenal specs. Newly made or handloaded rounds that are close to USGI ball or match ammo will be the way to go.

If you want or need to use something like a heavy hunting load, say Winchester or Remington hunting ammo, then install an adjustable gas plug. They are designed for that purpose.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2018, 01:55:18 PM by TOMINCT »
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
 Ramseur 2-12!
 ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13