News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Morengo, Ohio June 9 & 10, 2018

Started by Corvette, June 10, 2018, 09:31:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corvette

What a great Appleseed we had at Cardinal Shooting Center in Morengo, Ohio this weekend. Fifteen motivated shooters showed up Saturday morning to work on their Marksmanship skills. It was raining prior to the start of Saturday morning but it abated before shooters arrived for registration. 

Once all the shooters had arrived, we completed the normal welcome and moved to the safety briefing. Rifles were brought to the line and the Saturday morning Red Coats we shot.  Results were typical, we had 50% of the shooters competent at 100 yards but that was about it.

We moved to the steady hold factors in prone, followed by the six steps and NPOA instructions.  Related drills were shot and the morning moved on to shooting sighting groups in anticipation of IMC.  We broke for lunch. 

During lunch we enjoyed the First Strike and an IMC presentation from St8space. Shooters returned to the line   

The rest of Saturday was consumed with steady hold in seated and standing, the Second Strike at our afternoon break, steady hold in standing and a practice AQT.  The shooting day ended with the Saturday afternoon Red Coat.  The improvement was dramatic.   12 of 15 shooters at 100, 8 at 200, 8 at 300, 3 at 400, 3 at 400, 4 joined Daniel Morgan and we had 2 clear the Red Coat.  The cleared Red Coats were from a Grand Father/Grand Son team.

Bruce (grand father) and Ethan (14 yr old grand son) came to the event with serious skills.  During our drills, Ethan's rifle pucked out.  One of our instructors, Cadence, was kind enough to lend Ethan his rifle so he could continue to shoot. By the end of the day, Ethan was able to clear a Red Coat with a loaner rifle.  Huzzah, we have a young man who knows what he is about.

Sunday dawned clear but the forecast was not good.  Severe thunderstorms were forecast for mid -afternoon. After a safety and POI re-brief, we were back on the line shooting the Sunday morning Red Coat.  Our shooters did not lose anything over the night.  Scores were solid, 11 of 15 at 100, 9 at 200 4 at 300, 4 at 400 and 3 joined Daniel Morgan.  We had 2 cleared Red Coats and it was Ethan and Bruce again.

We moved on to carding the sights and then on to the AQT.  It was then that the event went into high gear.  In our first AQT, Ethan, a 14 year old shooter, posted a MONSTER 248.  And, this was with a borrowed rifle from Cadence.
But, Ethan was not alone.  We shot five AQTs on Sunday and a number of shooters stepped up and showed that they too were "men that knew what they were about".  On Sunday, we  had five folks shoot a Rifleman score.

Bryan   212, 215
Ethan  248, 231, 228, 237, 211
Brion   214,  218
Raymond   211
Bruce  223,  218

With bad weather coming in, we shot the Sunday afternoon Red Coat early and the results were impressive.  We had 14 of 15 at 100, 10 of 15 at 200, 6 at 300, 4 at 400, 7 joined Daniel Morgan, and 2 cleared.  (Ethan and Bruce again).  Ethan and Bruce cleared six Red Coats this weekend.  That is the best Red Coat performance I have seen in Appleseed.  Can we get a big Huzzah!)

We also had at this event, several members of The Well Armed Woman. They worked hard on their rifle skills.  While none of them reached Rifleman status, they all showed Rifleman skills of persistence. 

My thanks to Cadence, St8space, and DOM for helping with this event. 

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Ricochet Rabbit

Some pics
"The most natural and eligible mode of attack on the part of the people is that of detached parties of bushmen who from their adroitness in the habitual use of the firelock suppose themselves sure of their mark at a distance of 200 [yards]." - Thomas Gage, March 4th, 1775

"Good intentions will always be pleaded for every assumption
of authority. It is hardly too strong to say that the
Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Daniel Webster

"When all connection, upheld by commerce, with the mother country, shall cease, it may be suspected that an independency of her government will soon follow." - Thomas Gage

Ricochet Rabbit

Some more pics
"The most natural and eligible mode of attack on the part of the people is that of detached parties of bushmen who from their adroitness in the habitual use of the firelock suppose themselves sure of their mark at a distance of 200 [yards]." - Thomas Gage, March 4th, 1775

Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern well, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters." - Daniel Webster

"When all connection, upheld by commerce, with the mother country, shall cease, it may be suspected that an independency of her government will soon follow." - Thomas Gage

Ricochet Rabbit

Okay, this keeps messing up with multiple pics, let's try one at a time I guess...

Ricochet Rabbit

Ricochet Rabbit

One last pic...sorry I didn't get more.

Thanks to all the attendees and my fellow instructors for a safe and enjoyable weekend. See ya'll somewhere down the trail!   :F

cwcdl79

What a fantastic weekend! the weather held out for all of the patriots that showed up and drank from the firehose of instruction! Paul, keep working on that bolt, Will you made fantastic improvements on your positions, keep up the work. Lisa, Chris, and Deb, keep working on those fundamentals, and we'll get those malfunctions worked out on your rifles. Practice! Lynda, next time, oh so close. Glad to have you all on the line, hope to see you back. My hats off to all!
Thanks to Corvette, Cadence, and St8space.

Shep

Sounds like it was a great shoot.
Congratulations to the new Riflemen, and especially to Ethan with a 248; that is impressive!! Is there an orange hat in your future?
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

-er

Thank you to Corvette, Cadence, Dom, and St8Space for instructing us, making sure we were being safe, and volunteering their time! I didn't learn to properly implement many of the techniques, yet, but at least I know what I need to work on. :)

Hope to join you guys at another upcoming Ohio event, in the near future!  :snipersmi

Thanks,
Tim

Cadence

Tim,
Hang in there! You have one of the most necessary traits! - A teachable attitude! I don't think I have ever seen one so limber to try the seated position the way you did.
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Cadence

This past weekend's shoot is well documented above. A great shoot with a great group of patriots.

It was somewhat of a family affair with a set of brothers, a grandfather and grandson, and The Well Armed Women group all coming together to forge some Appleseed memories.

A big HUZZAH to all of shooters because they persevered on Sunday when we did the 5 AQT's without checking targets between strings so we could get through before weather threatened.

Ethan made it look so easy while scoring a 248 on the first AQT and then backing it up with rifleman scores for the rest of his AQT's with a borrowed rifle. However, I'd like to claim some credit since he used my loaner to do it  >:D. He started Saturday with his own 10/22 with standard Ruger sights and was getting great groups, but they were all low and to the right and drifting the front sight was never going to get him where he needed to be, so i gave him one of my loaners to use. .

I've had both my loaners accurized at Connecticut precision chambering  www.ct-precision.com and I highly recommend their work but Ethan has the skills to take it to a whole different level.

Congratulations to our newest Riflemen. Several others were knocking on the door, so come back again.

Thanks to Corvette, DOM , and St8Space for a truly enjoyable weekend.
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Cadence

More pictures
~ Samuel Adams