News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Welcome to Wisconsin--Wisconsin members check in here!

Started by Trisha, January 19, 2009, 07:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dragonfly

OG you won't get rid of me that easily. I'll be back.
dragonfly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Robbvious

moved.
...in the event of Great Britain attempting to force unjust laws upon us by the strength of arms, our cause we leave to Heaven and our rifles. - Hanover Association, Lancaster County, PA 1774

Libby T

Hello Fellow Appleseeders,
Went to my second Appleseed in Lodi this past weekend.  Not quite a Riflewoman, but getting there.  Maybe three's a charm!  I had a great time and learned (and unlearned) a lot.  I want to thank all the instructors for their patience and knowledge.  Thanks, Trisha, I am going to work on my dragging wood issue with some dry firing and hopefully it will improve by July in Lodi.  It was great to see women instructors and shooters.  What a great group of people, glad to have met you all and look forward to seeing everyone again.
Do one thing every day that scares you. "Eleanor Roosevelt"

Trisha

Welcome to the forum Libby! I am glad you were able to make it out to the Lodi Appleseed and I hope to see you again. It took me three Appleseeds to get my Rifleman's patch, and I bet you will get yours in the near future!

Old Glory!

Quote from: Libby T on April 20, 2009, 06:00:37 PM
Hello Fellow Appleseeders,
Went to my second Appleseed in Lodi this past weekend.  Not quite a Riflewoman, but getting there.  Maybe three's a charm!  I had a great time and learned (and unlearned) a lot.  I want to thank all the instructors for their patience and knowledge. 

Libby T!  Welcome to Appleseed and the forum.  It was an honor to have you participate at Lodi.

Thanks, Trisha, I am going to work on my dragging wood issue with some dry firing and hopefully it will improve by July in Lodi. 

A great Appleseed Master Instructor (who also happens to have a motorcycle in his moniker ;)) once leaned over me while I was on the line shooting and said something like, "move your trigger THUMB to the top of the rifle stock so that you are not gripping the rifle with your thumb; lay the thumb on the top of the stock.  This will help prevent dragging wood."   Thought I'd pass that wisdom along.  You are right on, dry firing, by the numbers.  Remember the steady hold factors, practice acquiring your NPOA, dry fire, WITH NO ROUNDS, practice mag changes, shifting your NPOA between two targets.  Wow, there is a lot you can do at home. 

It was great to see women instructors and shooters.  What a great group of people, glad to have met you all and look forward to seeing everyone again.

I agree!  Please see the thread on the women of appleseed. 
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4577.0
Add your story. 

I look forward to seeing you again on the Appleseed trail. 

Old Glory!

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Robbvious

Ha!  I see my lovely bride has a new alter ego, Libby T (I get it, Liberty!).  I'll make sure she gets lots of dry fire practice, and I have the 50' scaled QDAQT for us to practice at our local indoor range, which was underwater until just last Friday.  For those of you who don't know us, we were the ones dressed alike on the line at Lodi.  Wierd, I know, but hey when Sportsman's Guide has a sale, you gotta snap that stuff up!  See you all at the next Appleseed!
...in the event of Great Britain attempting to force unjust laws upon us by the strength of arms, our cause we leave to Heaven and our rifles. - Hanover Association, Lancaster County, PA 1774

Reginmund

Add one more from Wisconsin. North Central/Northwest region.

I have yet to attend an Appleseed but I hope to as soon as possible. My wife even wants to come with. We just need to get her a rifle so she can join in the fun.
Facta, non Verba!

- Reginmund -

bedford

Regimund,

Welcome!  I hope to meet you at an Appleseed soon!  Try and come to Shiocton June 6/7th if you can.  It is a wonderful range (500 yards!) and it will be a great time!

Bedford

Old Glory!

Quote from: Reginmund on April 21, 2009, 11:43:23 PM
Add one more from Wisconsin. North Central/Northwest region.

I have yet to attend an Appleseed but I hope to as soon as possible. My wife even wants to come with. We just need to get her a rifle so she can join in the fun.

Welcome Reginmund.  I am happy to hear your wife wants to come with you.  Did someone mention shopping?! :D

Chime in if you have any questions, and comments too.

Old Glory!
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Reginmund

Thanks bedford and Old Glory!

Depending on work schedules and all we are going to try to make at least one shoot this year. Unfortunatly we won't be able to make the June 6/7 shoot. The wife's birthday is on the 5th and we are celebrating it on the 6th. So possibly one this fall or later in the summer.

My wife loves to shoot, that is why we are getting her a rifle. She already has a P22 that I got her for Christmas...lol But I am in the market for a new .22 myself. I prefer bolt action and she wants semi; a CZ452 for me and a Remington 597 for her is the plan.

Hopefully in time we'll both earn the right to call ourselves a rifleman/riflewoman.

Now if I could just convince my grandmother to sell me the family farm instead of waiting on inheriting it...lol (80 acres, 40 under plow, 40 mixed wood, pond, stream, bordering to 2 state highways... Just needs a range.  ;))
Facta, non Verba!

- Reginmund -

AFTERMATH

Just convince her to let you set up a range now, and everybody wins. ;)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

Reginmund

Trust me, I've tried! She's fine with my wife and I shooting on there (I grew up on that farm), but she isn't too keen on me setting up a semi permanent/permanent range yet.
Facta, non Verba!

- Reginmund -

AFTERMATH

So, send her on one of them week-long cruises, while she's off soaking up the warm rays of the caribean sun,  we can have an RBC. ;D
She'll never know we were there. ;)

Or, perhaps, if she came to an Appleseed and saw what was acting; she may be more receptive to the idea. ++)
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

Reginmund

HAHA!  **) If I could afford to do that I would!

Someday there will be a range on that farm... :~ There just aren't enough GOOD places to shoot near there. Where I live now (Eau Claire) there are a few places that we shoot at, but the easiest to access are also the ones that you have to watch out for who is shooting near you. %) (Remember: Beer + guns = ++))

Out at the farm we have the land to shoot, but currently there is no room to shoot. The land is rented out for crop farming. Right now we just shoot down by the pond but it's not even 20 yards long, plus if you mess up a shot it could be dangerous due to its location. So, it goes without saying only trusted friends get to shoot there, and only when we are there. A better spot for a range would be in the old cow pasture, but that would take a few weeks of SOLID work to even get it close to set up for a "basic" range since it would be mainly my wife and I doing the labor by hand... Living 45 minutes from the farm doesn't make it any easier to accomplish... :-\

This weekend when I go to visit I will try talking to my grandmother about allowing me to set up a shot .22 only range. Say something out to 50 yards/meters or so? Can't really go farther, but at that distance it wouldn't be too hard to set up a 25 and a 50 line. Couldn't really go more than 4 or 5 lanes wide (at 4' per lane) due to the location, but it would be a start.  O0
Facta, non Verba!

- Reginmund -

AFTERMATH

You've got to start somewhere. ;)

By the way, I'm sure if you look around you may be able to find some people in WI. ::) 
The kind that love to volunteer their time. ::)
The kind of people who get things done. ::) 
Hmm... I wonder where you could start.... ::)

dragonfly

Hey Reginmund,
         you and your wife need to get to an Appleseed ASAP. There's one in Elk river MN May 8 and 9,  Shiocton WI June 6 and 7th, Lodi WI July 25-26th and many more. Find a relative or friend you have'nt seen in a while is there an Appleseed nearby? Take a look at the Appleseed schedule and plan a great weekend for you and your wife learning to shoot and some great Rev. war history.
        I know off topic but we need to get some Appleseeder's from your part of the state get some seed's planted and we get more interest and then we can find or build a range closer to you. 
See on the trail soon.
dragonfly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

tallbaldone

Hi all,

Im the bald one that truckrjoe dragged down to the lodi shoot from necedah.  Man, what a great time, and I learned allot!! So many new things to me, such as, first time using a sling for what it is actually for, npoa- your not supposed to muscle it, and many other things.  I guess I shouldnt be surprised by how much I didnt know (you dont know) as I have always approached shooting as kind of a stress reliever, just plinking.  Now, however, my shooting skills (dont laugh) have been measured and now I have a goal in mind(you know the goal)!! Even if I approached the appleseed project as a great tool to improve my shooting, it would be worth it, but it is so much more O0   Nice, organized, knowledgeable, willing to help and patient are just a few words I would use to describe the instructors, not to mention my fellow shooters!  Thank you all for the opportunity and I will be to another appleseed. (want that patch ya know)

John

bedford

Tallbaldone,

Great screen name!  I knew exactly who you are!  You have got good fundamentals, keep dry firing, 6 steps, you'll make rifleman by the fall.  O0

I am glad you are involved and hope to see you soon at another shoot!

Bedford

tallbaldone

Bedford,

This is the fist forum that I have joined also and with a big bald head its not to hard to pick me out in a crowd so I thought what the heck.  And  I am not very good with names but faces are good so descriptive is good.   You can bet I will be dry firing, I think I underestimated its value.  Colorado had taken the time to print and laminate the 6 steps (business card sized) and was kind enough to give me a copy, which I now carry in my wallet.  That should help with my mind over lead control :)   All of your insights were very helpful. Yours and all of the instructors -- what a great team!   Thanks again all of you.

John

Trisha

It was a pleasure meeting and working with you Tallbaldone. I know we both struggled for a little bit with your sling since you are left handed, but we figured it out with a bit of trial and error. Don't forget to find a GI sling, it will make your life a little easier when you putting on and taking off your sling. You always seemed to be positive throughout the weekend, which is always refreshing so keep it up and you will get that Rifleman's patch soon enough.

You should go onto the Lodi After Action Report and let everyone know your experiences there, I know we all would like to hear about it. Maybe I'll see you in Shiocton...???

Reginmund

AFTERMATH: I know we have to start somewhere, and I have seen just how dedicated the AS members from WI (and our neighboring states) are. The issue with getting outside help is that this is private land that is not mine yet. Someday it will be, but not yet. I'm sure with very little coaxing I can get one or two family members to help with the work. Just have to remember: good things come to those who wait. There ARE places to shoot/train around here, just not always the nicest, but they do work. Plus there are a few Appleseeds that are within driving distance so it isn't anything that has to be rushed (the range building that is). My grandmother is Danish and after being married to my German grandfather for many years, she has grown stubborn in her old age...lol Push to hard and it's a no go, gently lead and things will work out in the end. O0

dragonfly: I agree that we need to get to an Appleseed as soon as we can. Unfortunately most if not all of the "near by" ones fall on work weekends. Most other weekends that we do not work, we have other obligations to attend to. We WILL be attending at least one this year, most likely in the fall. If we can manage between other responsibilities we will go sooner. I completely agree with you that we need (many) more people in this area of the state to join up, and I have been reading the forum today trying to find different ways for getting people interested. I have gotten about 5 or 6 ideas that might work here. I know there are many out there and with the right method they will show themselves. The biggest problem is convincing the (for lack of a better word) "liberals" around here that this is a worthwhile project. There is too much infighting around here for my tastes, and would rather be back on the farm; but right now this is where I need to be, and once I find how to get people to listen it will give a MUCH larger audience. :)

Welcome to the forum tallbaldone. Hopefully my wife and I will have as good of an experience as you did at our first AS. I'm glad to hear how highly you speak of the instructors. O0
Facta, non Verba!

- Reginmund -

tallbaldone

Trisha,

A pleasure as well, you made me and it appears everyone there very comfortable, which is key in any kind of successful learning environment! That sling thing is a tough deal for me but thanks to you I might make it ;D.  Your right this is getting a little off topic so I will move this over to  after action report.

Reginmund,

Thanks and welcome to the forum as well.   If this appleseed shoot(in lodi) is anything like the other events (enthusiasm and dedication abounded),  I know you  and your wife will enjoy the time spent and learn allot 2  O0

John

Old Glory!

Welcome to all the new WI Appleseeders. :~  Sign in here please.

endpoint

Hello :)

My wife and I just signed up for the August 29-30 Appleseed last week.  Setting up a Marlin 795 and borrowing a loaner to get started.  We live in Racine, so the commute won't be bad :P

Those folks at Tech Sites are something else.  I ordered my sites on Friday and they're in my mailbox on Monday.  Now I'm hopping for the gun to come in so I can put them on!

I'm really excited about this.  I lived in an area where I could walk to a safe shooting area about a hundred yards long, about ten years ago, and shot all the time.  Since then I've done very little.  I thought I was a pretty good shot once.  Now we'll see.  Eat crow or get my patch, I'll still have a blast!

See some of you there I hope  :~

Deacon

Hi Everyone,
I have been lurking around the forum but haven't posted here yet.
Name is Jeremy Smith and I live in Oregon, WI.

April 19, 2009 I earned my Rifleman patch with help from Colycat, JRTurbo, Griffen, Trisha, Ahhshoot and Old Glory.

Colycat and JRTurbo did such a great job with the 7 steps that I was hooked on the 'seed'!!!

I was priviledged to start wearing an orange hat and my first AS as an IIT was at Bloomington, Illinois(ucks) the end of May.  I  learned a ton from Sheepdog, EEL, Pappy, Revielle and The Editor.  Dont tell Colycat I said this but they really have it together "down south". 

I have been working hard and studying the program of instruction and the course of fire.  I am really looking forward to working with everyone at Lodi, Bristol, Racine, Hubertus and then Lodi again in October!

Deacon

Old Glory!

Endpoint, Welcome to Appleseed!  I look forward to meeting you and your wife.  There is always Bristol, not too far from you, August 15-16 if you just cannot wait until the end of August. ;) 

Deacon, It is an honor to have you in working in Appleseed.  We heavily encourage raiding the southern border to learn all the secrets of their most effective 3-man teams.    :~

Grandy

Quote from: Old Glory! on June 09, 2009, 09:07:22 PM
Welcome to all the new WI Appleseeders. :~  Sign in here please.

My wife and I are newly retired and still getting used to having more time together....  :D  In the spirit of sharing each other's interests, she asked to come along to the 29-30 Racine Appleseed Shoot. She's never fired a rifle and neither of us have fired from the different positions with or without a sling. We don't expect miracles, only to learn a lot and have some fun.

After I signed up, I thought I would be directed to a website which outlined what to bring and what to practice, but I was locked out of it even though I'm signed up. Any suggestions? Would somebody share that address with me again, please?

Thanks,
Dave
Bring Enough Gun

Trisha

Davegran first off welcome to the forum and I do hope you have an incredible time in Racine. Second, here is a link you can go to that will help answer all of your questions, I hope that helps! http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?board=170.0

Deacon, I don't think I ever properly welcomed you either to the forum, so welcome to the Appleseed forum!  :))

Trisha

LadyVetch

Hi Everyone!

I'm Renee from Lodi, WI and have attended the Appleseeds in Lodi in July and Oct.  I met some incredible people!  (Including some from IL - SHHH!!!  Don't tell them I think they rock too!) Thanks to everyone and all your hard work.  I was very impressed with the organization and professionalism of the instructor crews I had a chance to meet. 

What stuck with me most from my appleseed experiences were:

First from July - I think it was colycat (forgive me if I didn't remember exactly who said this) talking about how Paul Reverve was able to muster 14,000 men that night to fight the redcoats.  And the challenge was, even with modern technology, could you find 1400?  140 even 14 Riflemen ready and willing to answer that call.  And it really struck me hard, that I doubt I could find 2 people outside of my family.  I want to be able to tell my grandchildren that I did something to make a difference.  That even if things don't turn out well, I was one that "fought" the soft fight first.  I got involved and I would be one that would be ready and willing to answer that call.  I really wanted to "know what I was about" - a True Rifleman, even though I'm a girl!   

Second from October -  from Deacon - on following examples of those before us.  We have an amazing history, filled with courage and selflishness and faith.  Those brave men and women gave their all for posterity and freedom.  How can we do any less?

So, I am excited to get involved but not sure where to start.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our Country will stand in need of its experienced Patriots to prevent its ruin."  - Samuel Adams