News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Welcome to Wisconsin--Wisconsin members check in here!

Started by Trisha, January 19, 2009, 07:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cooper

Greetings, all!

I'm a Minnesconsinite: live in MN, work in WI and throw javelins toward IA.

My apple orchard is a potential DAR, which is interesting since I am qualified to join the D.A.R. x 2 (Obadiah Cooper and Francis Marion).

Someday, I might even earn a patch (stuck at 208  :wb:).  In the meantime, I'm accumulating casing burns at an alarming rate, another 8 just this last weekend (thanks, Mr Levin, new Rifleman and orange hat!!)  O0.

Coop

"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

Deacon

Quote from: Cooper on August 24, 2010, 11:11:16 PM

I'm a Minnesconsinite:
Coop

That even sounds better than "Illisconsin"!

Welcome!  I am looking forward to meeting you!  Maybe LaCrosse in December???

Deacon

Cooper

Deacon,

We met in New Lisbon.  I'm the fat broad in the boonie hat with the gravel voice that held the North Bridge next to the kids...

(Janelle)

"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.

Deacon

I remember now.....not because you held down the north bridge.....but for the only person to CLEAR THE RED COAT TARGET that weekend.....and then go home and shoot a crow at 40 yards! 

You did a great job in New Lisbon and I look forward to shooting with you again!

dragonfly

Quote from: Cooper on August 24, 2010, 11:29:39 PM
Deacon,

We met in New Lisbon.  I'm the fat broad in the boonie hat with the gravel voice that held the North Bridge next to the kids...

(Janelle)

**) ^:)^ **) ^:)^ **) ^:)^ **) ^:)^ **) ^:)^ **) ^:)^
Glad to have you in Wisconsin Coop. You are so close to scoring Rifleman.  keep practicing and dry firing. You will get there soon :cool2: .

See you on the trail,

dragonfly
dragonfly  @)   Keeping the Faith
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

dragonfly

K.I.S.S.

zamboni_driver

Paul Foster, first timer from the one day Withee event.

dragonfly

K.I.S.S.

Cooper

Welcome ZD!
One of the Withee Wondermen!  ..:..
Huzzah!

Coop

Theokestral

Hey all, I'm checking in from the Milwaukee area.

I'm interested in attending the upcoming practice in Racine this Feb.

A couple questions though:
Is eventbrite.com the preferred way to register?
Who is a contact person for the event?
At the fore-end of my rifle, should the sling be mounted on the bottom or the side of the stock, or does it not matter? (I have a 10/22)
Is the sling from an M1 carbine ok until I get a USGI web sling?
Where should I post rifle questions (like the previous two questions) in the forum in the future?

Thanks

JoeZ

Hello Theokestral and welcome.

JoeZ here and I am also in the Milwaukee area.

Eventbrite is the preferred way to register (hence it's less expensive) but walk-on is acceptable, especially for those last minute friends you bring. The mail in method works also but your on the net I see.

I most probably will be at the event so go ahead and send any questions my way. Use the private message option, call me, or e-mail (from my profile) are all fine. 414-750-1589

Mount your sling on the bottom of the stock.

The carbine sling is like almost all slings...that is, not a sling at all but rather a carry strap. I always bring extra slings with me or send me or if we talk before the shoot I can send you one. Green or black for $10. Otherwise the Appleseed store or gunpartscorp.com has them. With that said, any sling is better than none so use it if you must.

The road to Rifleman section has the rifle knowledge bank http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?board=53.0   or the Appleseed Lobby has a child board with helpful rifle tips http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?board=255.0.
"What is she, that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the Moon, elect as the sun, terrible as the army of a camp set in array?" Canticle of Canticles 6:9

Zak

Check In from south central and recently completed 1st event @ LaCrosse.  Thanks to everyone for providing that weekend. 

Looking for Appleseed LTR, anyone try one of the 'out of the box 10 22 LTR's' from our brother Douglas in FL (see the business section of this forum)?

Good to be with you

ahhshoot

Good to have you with us Zak. Your first event of many I trust. :)
The past is only the future with the lights on.

Blue Five

Quote from: zak on March 15, 2011, 08:49:40 PM
Check In from south central and recently completed 1st event @ LaCrosse.  Thanks to everyone for providing that weekend. 

Looking for Appleseed LTR, anyone try one of the 'out of the box 10 22 LTR's' from our brother Douglas in FL (see the business section of this forum)?

Good to be with you

Zak, great to see you on this side...you're Pete, right?

Hope to see you in April at La Crosse!

Blue Five (Nathan)
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

Cooper

Quote from: zak on March 15, 2011, 08:49:40 PM

I just had one of Mr Cowan's upgraded 10/22's delivered to my daughter on the west coast...  too early to tell what she will think of it after she's sent a significant number of rounds downrange with it.  Douglas's customer service has been so good that I'm seriously thinking of picking up a second loaner from him, rather than wading patiently through the ebb and flow of used 10/22's in local stores...

Just my .02FRN, YMMV.

coop

Trig

Hello Wisconsin,

Checking in from Muskego (south west of Milwaukee).  I plan on attending the Lodi event in April with at least 4 of my shooting buddies.  My first event was in Osage Beach, MO last summer.  I learned a lot and scored a 200 with flip up battle sights on my short stroking piston AR (now fixed :wb:).  I am excited to get better and maybe even shoot it with my newly acquired M1A .  I have made a LTR for my wife, and am trying to get her out with us!  cant wait to get on the firing line!
1st Appleseed - Osage Beach MO, 4/17/10- special thanks to Longshot, ThorsHammer, and JungleGeorge
2nd Appleseed - Lodi WI - Rifleman/Orange Hat 4/17/11 - special thanks to Dragonfly, Mr. Natural, Lady Vetch, and Trisha
IT1 - Hubertus WI, 5/7/11
IT2 - Racine WI, 6/11/11
IT3 - Suamico WI, 6/18/11
IT4 - Racine WI 8/7/11     ***KD Rifleman*** special thanks to Colycat and JoeZ
Red Hat - Hubertus 8/13/11
Shoot Boss - Lodi WI 6/10/12  *thanks to all I have learned/stolen from on my journey* Special thanks to Dfly and Coly *
********************Better Americans today, better America tomorrow!********************

Deacon

Welcome Triggernick!

I too will be at Lodi,  I have a few people to get signed up too!  Looking forward to meeting you and getting your friends on the line.
PM me if you have any questions about the shoot.

Deacon

Cooper

Quote from: triggernick on March 16, 2011, 08:50:33 PM
I have made a LTR for my wife, and am trying to get her out with us! 

Greetings, triggernick!!

Great to have you on board, and have you bringing friends to the line!  Tell your wife that Appleseed is VERY female friendly, and undoubtedly the best place in America for a woman to learn to be safe with a rifle and learn to use it well!

Welcome and make yourselves at home here...

Janelle

Zak

Yes.  that is me Blue.  Congratulations on you hat.  LaCrosse is real nice.  As they once said 'I should like to live there'
April LaX is out of the question, I would rather be at Appleseed but certification required for employment.

Gotta better that 203 score.  I do believe a real sling would have made the difference, but then I would not have learned the lesson so well.  Yes, more in order (end of summer if budget allows).

Thanks for the feedback Cooper.  It would seem the Cowan LTR is a good if not the best option as I would currently struggle with some of those mods.  I was in contact with Mr. Cowan over these last few days and he is working up some magic with items available later this week.  I am very interested, although not excited about plastic parts.  That said, I'm seeing used 10/22 (pre-2009 metal triggers) at new prices.  Can't justify the NIB carbines for $200 when 4-6 hrs away.  I would be time ahead to go with Cowan LTR. 

Zak

Blue Five

Quote from: zak on March 16, 2011, 10:27:36 PM
Yes.  that is me Blue.  Congratulations on you hat.  LaCrosse is real nice.  As they once said 'I should like to live there'
April LaX is out of the question, I would rather be at Appleseed but certification required for employment.

Gotta better that 203 score.  I do believe a real sling would have made the difference, but then I would not have learned the lesson so well.  Yes, more in order (end of summer if budget allows).

Thanks!  Well, if you would like to come to La Crosse again outside of April, we have a shoot on June 25 and 26.  Otherwise, if you feel the urge to border hop like I do, come to Winona, MN on the border for the May 7-8 shoot or September 3-4.  I am attempting to assemble a Wisconsin border raid party so we can annex Minnesota, as they have been trying to do with Wisconsin for years....  &)

But look forward to seeing you on the trail sometime!  You'll get that score up there  O0

B5
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Mr.Natural

Good hear from you, Triggernick.  Will be looking forward to meeting you and your group at Lodi in April.    Y.M.H.O.S.  Natch

Zak

That sounds real good.  I will have to verify funds but might be just what the Professor ordered.

Everyone stock up - 20% price increase in May courtesy of Federal and obligatory by all others.

Trig

looking at the map, the hubertus seems to be way closer to me than Lodi.  most of you seem to be going to the lodi shoot, any difference (or are most of you just closer to Lodi?)
1st Appleseed - Osage Beach MO, 4/17/10- special thanks to Longshot, ThorsHammer, and JungleGeorge
2nd Appleseed - Lodi WI - Rifleman/Orange Hat 4/17/11 - special thanks to Dragonfly, Mr. Natural, Lady Vetch, and Trisha
IT1 - Hubertus WI, 5/7/11
IT2 - Racine WI, 6/11/11
IT3 - Suamico WI, 6/18/11
IT4 - Racine WI 8/7/11     ***KD Rifleman*** special thanks to Colycat and JoeZ
Red Hat - Hubertus 8/13/11
Shoot Boss - Lodi WI 6/10/12  *thanks to all I have learned/stolen from on my journey* Special thanks to Dfly and Coly *
********************Better Americans today, better America tomorrow!********************

JoeZ

Hello triggernick,
Go to the shoot that is best for you. "We" will be at all of them. :) Good times and good people at any shoot.
"What is she, that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the Moon, elect as the sun, terrible as the army of a camp set in array?" Canticle of Canticles 6:9

CIVLAKFLT

I'm a newbie. I'm happy to have found this site and I'm looking forward to my first Appleseed in June, in La Crosse.

Blue Five

Quote from: CIVLAKFLT on May 04, 2011, 12:13:59 AM
I'm a newbie. I'm happy to have found this site and I'm looking forward to my first Appleseed in June, in La Crosse.

Welcome CIVILAKFLT!  Looking to seeing you in June!

CIVLAKFLT

Thanks, Blue. I appreciate all of your help and advice. Have a great weekend!

BrettA

Hello all, I'm from the Milwaukee area. I have attended two Appleseeds and made rifleman last weekend in Hubertus. Thanks to all the great instructors. I also took an orange hat and am looking forward to learning as much as I can and passing it on.

Blue Five

Quote from: BrettA on July 19, 2011, 10:43:18 PM
Hello all, I'm from the Milwaukee area. I have attended two Appleseeds and made rifleman last weekend in Hubertus. Thanks to all the great instructors. I also took an orange hat and am looking forward to learning as much as I can and passing it on.

Good work!  O0

Thanks for picking up a pail and bailing!

ThePalmHQ

David here, checking in from Westby, WI.  My son Christopher shot his first Appleseed event at summer camp this year and shot Rifleman right out of the box, so call me a proud dad.  He did it with a scope, though, so now the challenge is on to do the same with iron sights.

We shot together this past weekend in La Crosse, so that was my first Appleseed event.  Outstanding instruction!  We were only able to attend the Saturday course (wishing that the Sunday event started a little later in the morning, to accommodate those who wish to go to church.)  But even just the Saturday course was great.

I was unhappy with my actual shooting.  My rifle threw an extractor early in the game and so I borrowed one and had loads of trouble with its sights.  (And I might have been part of the problem too, you never know..... ;))  But hey, the bottom line is that I learned and came home with a boatload of fresh information, inspiration and motivation to practice and do better next time.

I was greatly in need of a refresher course on basic marksmanship, since my own Army training is a couple of decades in the past and I haven't shot a lot since then.  My son hasn't shown much interest in shooting.....until now.  It's a great father/son activity.  We now have two LTRs with Techsights and set up our own range on which to practice.  Looking forward to the next event in 2012 and we'll definitely be bringing some friends.