News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Welcome to Wisconsin--Wisconsin members check in here!

Started by Trisha, January 19, 2009, 07:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bronk

Next weekend I am bringing a few students out to Abrams rifle range for an" unofficial match" Will Lilly follow through with some .50 BMG rifle shooting to cap the day. Anyone else interested in getting something going for half a Saturday?
  And if a shoot boss comes to help run it, and they happen to have an extra orange hat with them.......well that would be nice! ^:)^
US Army Sniper school graduate 2004
US Army Small Arms Marksmanship Instructor
Rifleman qualified (1)Shiocton(3)Suamico
Iraqi Freedom combat vet

Reckless Rick

Shooterer Thanks for the sight advice....It seems to me that the healthy debate/discussion that's been going on could be settled on the range with a unconventional shoot and scoring....winner gets all the bragging rites being if it's a 22 or $3000  gun
Look,Listen and support...not always the easiest

bronk

Quote from: Thaddieus Ursus on April 28, 2010, 10:11:08 PM
Quote from: bronk on April 28, 2010, 06:35:35 PM
Sorry. A bit snobbish maybe on my end. Shooting for me means a sandsock, mil-dot master, spotting scope, while wearing a Gillie suit! Combat ready, real world weapons, in a somewhat real world shooting situation. It's why I like the timed portion of the Appleseed shoots as well. 10 minutes to shoot 10 rounds is just giving it away in my mind ;D

Two cents and a soapbox.

Being new to appleseed, I haven't met everyone nor experienced many different egos.
Not being new to shooting, I have met many, many, many, different egos. With those come the connected attitudes.
I don't have the same background, but know a few who do. They also happen to shoot highpower. Personally, conventional pistol is my discipline of choice.

Your style of shooting is great for you. Others maybe farther removed from it.
You don't like 2000 dollar match guns, I understand the LTR concept but don't agree with classifying as a rifleman with a .22.
I think mouse guns make it too easy, but they have brought more women and kids into rifle shooting.
Bottom line is If I don't make the rules,my opinions are just that.

I joke with people about their disciplines and choice of equipment. I receive a fair ration of excrement about mine.

We are ALL trigger pullers. WE have common threads in our lives. I don't really care what you shoot as long as we recognize the common foes to our sport and way of life. We either stand together or kiss it all goodbye.

Am I out of line? Hope not.
If I am, I am sure I will find out shortly.

T.U

No problem at all. I will say this...............I think it's harder(yes I said harder)to qualify rifle with a 10-22 at a match than an AR type. They are too light to hold steady, and just don't seem to shoot like CF rifles. On the flip side, I think it's great that they allow and encourage their use. If not, the younger shooters, would not be able to even shoot in many situations. Getting them started young is the key to our sport's survival in the future. And with the cost of ammo these day's, it keep it withing almost everyones budget to participate.
  And just in case anyone was wondering.........................I am using a home built M4 carbine, stock trigger, 14.5 inch barrel, and red dot scope for the last Appleseed I shot.I forgot the sling at home, so did not have that on for the shoot either.220, 217, and a 211 were my first 3 scores of the day, and in that order. Applied the fundamentals, watched you breathing, and follow through after the shot. All the things they taught us at the shoot came in to play..............AND WORK!!:)
  In the end, we are all in the same group, and I apologize if my previous statements were a bit.............abrasive. It is not my intent to jade this community with any kind of flame starting. I have way to much respect for this organization and what it stands for to do anything like that :)  ;)
Iraqi Freedom combat vet

Mogget

Good job in those last few lines, Bronk!

Getting a Rifleman patch is an event.  Being a Rifleman is a process.  So a Rifleman is a Rifleman regardless of the caliber of weapon because ultimately it's a matter of heart and mind rather than lead and brass.

There are many Appleseed virtues.  Many.  Successfully shooting with the large calibers is one of them.  But there is one Appleseed virtue that tends to trump them all and that is our united focus on the future.  We are the folks who bring the past into the present in order to create a more perfect future.  That's the "front sight" in our work that must always remain in focus.

So we don't diss any other shooting disciplines because we share the same future.  And in the near term we need access to the ranges they own.  This is particularly the case with folks who own the longer ranges and shoot in disciplines such as high power.

And we never, ever suggest that those who shoot in .22LR are somehow less.  Many of these folks are women and children.  Children are The Future.  'Nuff said on that one.  As for the women who work in .22 LR, a wise man once pointed out that the hand that rocks the cradle is quite capable of changing all your future plans without waking up the sleeping baby.  'Nuff said on that one.  

Finally, there is the immediate issue of the economy and the cost of bullets in the larger calibers.  We do NOT want to make a man chose between his family and his shooting because the only right answer to that dilemma will not contribute to the future we're working toward.  If you look around long enough, you will see that there are preliminary plans and discussions for Appleseed in air rifle.  And if, God forbid, there were to be a major hiccup in the gun control laws, I fully expect we'd do precisely the same thing with bows and slingshots.

So it's not a matter of caliber, shooting disciplines, clothes, or much of anything else except the hearts and minds of our fellow Americans.  And what we do is precisely whatever it takes.  Welcome aboard.

Mogs

bedford

Bronk,

Which weekend, this weekend, or next weekend?  I can round up a few as well.  While I am not a Shoot Boss, but I can call the line, etc.

bronk

Next weekend. This weekend is the opener of fishing, and well.............ITS FISHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Iraqi Freedom combat vet

Muskyjerk

Sure saving the country can wait one more week....... ;)

Welcome aboard..

Shooterer

Quote from: reckless on April 28, 2010, 11:59:14 PM
It seems to me that the healthy debate/discussion that's been going on could be settled on the range with a unconventional shoot and scoring....winner gets all the bragging rites being if it's a 22 or $3000  gun

OK, I'm in... :)

We could use the Seed's course of fire;
Match ~ 40 shots (10 slow prone, 10 slow standing, 10 rapid sitting and 10 rapid prone).
Distances ~ Rimfires at 50 meters, centerfires at 200 meters
Targets ~ 2 MOA bull's-eye targets for each distance.
Sights ~ Iron sights only
Prizes ~ Winner gets lunch with a beverage, second gets lunch, third receives a beverage. Losers split paying for the winners prizes.

We could do something this fall after most of the shoots are done

Shooterer

(ps, don't tell jrturbo about this, no matter how well I shoot he always beats me. :wb:)
Stand up for what's right.... Even if you stand alone.

Thaddieus Ursus

Quote from: JoeZ on April 28, 2010, 11:15:21 PM
Sounds to me like TU just volunteered to host a KD mini Appleseed. >:D >:D >:D

We'll get these differences looked at and ironed out.

If I knew what it was...............................

jrturbo

too late Shooterer.  I just found out..... I actually read these things. >:D
Tribuo mihi licentia vel tribuo mihi nex.
If Appleseed is not about making a difference in this country, starting at the local level, then we are nothing more than a distraction that will lead to the loss of our inheritance.

Reckless Rick

me and my rimfire are game and if i start reloading  so is my centerfire,2 guns 2 chances to win or maybe i'll end up buying myself lunch

Chris Z

I'll volunteer to be invited to the KD mini appleseed.  

TU can we finish your statement for you (if you knew). . . you would host a Known Distance shoot???

cz

bronk

How about 930ish am at the abrams rifle range, set-up, shoot by 10 sound to everyone? I have an order of some AQT's coming so I could bring a few of them with. Go for 2-3 hours???? Afterwards, pull out some handgun's, and as stated earlier.......I will have my .50 BMG rifle there as well for demonstration. As you all know, .50 is a bit pricey, so tips are appreciated if you decide to send some rounds downrange for yourself! >:D >:D >:D
Iraqi Freedom combat vet

fepowered

Anyone looking to show what Appleseeders can do, there is a Service Rifle Clinic which includes a 80 round 100 yard match  (CMP legal AR15 or AR10, M1A, M1 Garand, 1903, 1917) at Suamico tomorrow morning.  It is only $20 to shoot. 
"Today, we need a nation of Riflemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

Blue Five

Blue Five checking in from La Crosse County.  I attended the Appleseed Shoot here in La Crosse, WI.  Enjoyed it very much and learned a lot!
"Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here!" ~Captain John Parker, April 19, 1775.

Molōn labe! :--- 

Trisha

Welcome blue five to the forum. Here is a link to the LaCrosse After Action Report, I would love to hear how this weekend went. http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=14632.0;topicseen

browningman

Browningman checking in. Attended my first Appleseed this weekend in La Crosse. Learned a ton!! Will attend more in the future.  ..:..
Each man must for himself alone decide what is right and what is wrong, which course is patriotic and which isn't. You cannot shirk this and be a man. To decide against your conviction is to be an unqualified and excusable traitor, both to yourself and to your country, let men label you as they may.

bedford

Welcome Browningman!

I hope you can get to another shoot soon!

Don't forget to dry fire!

Bedford -

incendio

Hi all

Checking in, went to the hinckley shoot yesterday.

in polk county, near balsam lake. NE wi.

Old Glory!

Incendio,
Welcome to APPLESEED and the forum!  Thanks for offering to help promote Balsam Lake. 

OG
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Vee Kay

Vkf10/22 checking in, went to La Crosse shoot this weekend had a great time and learned an amazing amount of information.....

Vonnie
Honoring the memory of my ancestor Elisha Simpson, private in the North Carolina Militia and veteran of the American Revolutionary War.

Old Glory!

Vonnie,
Welcome to the forum.  It was GREAT to meet you and your family.   I know your range time will not include rifle marksmanship, and that you also loved the history.   

http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=4577.0
Check this out - it's a place where women tell their stories about Appleseed.   Read, enjoy and add yours. :)   

OG

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

Reckless Rick

I want to make some  promotional items(to share with the rest of the country)small stickers,cards etc.....and of course have a buddy in the printing business,can I do this with the programs blessing or is there a protocol to follow? or should I just take the appleseeds templates have them printed and donate them back to the store???Never seen a Wisconsin snow or shine we're on the line sticker with a member turkey necked out shooting a milk bucket at 200 yards   O0

mysticwolf_1801@yahoo.com

Hello from Eau Claire!!!
  Met Deacon in town here almost by accident. Looking forward to coming to either New Lisbon or Lacrosse for our first shoot. My girlfriend and the kids are already onboard and want to show up too. Looking forward to meeting all of you too!!

Ryan

dragonfly

Welcome mysticwolf, hope to see you on the Appleseed trail soon.

dragonfly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

professor gun

I am busily modifying the Ruger 10/22s we used in our first Appleseed so they are good LTRs for us to train with and use in our next Appleseed here in La Crosse.
Honoring my ancestor, Seth Hall, of the Massachusetts Militia for his sacrifices during our American Revolution that helped to provide freedom for all Americans.

lundin

I recently attended the Appleseed in Niagara WI, with two of my daughters.  This was the first Appleseed that we had attended.  At first my daughters were a little uncertain about attending, but after arriving and seeing other kids they felt more comfortable. We received help and encouragement from the instructors Martin and Dragonfly, which made it enjoyable and enabled us to improve thoughout the day. The entire program was very informative, from learning about the revolutionary war to gun safety and shooting techniques.  Thank you very much to Andy for the use of his range.  It was a very fun weekend and I recommend attending an Appleseed to everyone.

Hazmatt

This is my first time on the forum. I have been to 3 Appleseed shoot over the last 3 or 4 years. The last one was in Hubertus in August of this year with my wife. I am planning on going to the one in Hubertus again in August again. Have not made rifleman yet but hope to change that in August.

dragonfly

Quote from: lundin on July 19, 2010, 11:34:22 PM
I recently attended the Appleseed in Niagara WI, with two of my daughters.  This was the first Appleseed that we had attended.  At first my daughters were a little uncertain about attending, but after arriving and seeing other kids they felt more comfortable. We received help and encouragement from the instructors Martin and Dragonfly, which made it enjoyable and enabled us to improve thoughout the day. The entire program was very informative, from learning about the revolutionary war to gun safety and shooting techniques.  Thank you very much to Andy for the use of his range.  It was a very fun weekend and I recommend attending an Appleseed to everyone.

Hello and welcome lundin, for more info on the Niagra Appleseed go here                                                                            
              http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=15003.0

dragonfly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

crash

Hey everyone, do we have any shooters, IIT's, or Red hats near Hayward/Minong? I stopped on my way home from Duluth to a little town called Gordon, they have a nice 300 yard range(which I procedded to make the steel targets sing  ^:)^ ;D )  I am working on finding contact info for them, seems to be a public range, but a boot on the ground would be helpful.  PM me if you are in the area and can help out getting a shoot going there. 

Also do we have any shooters or IIT's in the eau claire area? Could use a hand with promotions from time to time.

--Crash
"The only thing most people do better than anyone else is read their own handwriting."
― John Adams