News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Welcome to Wisconsin--Wisconsin members check in here!

Started by Trisha, January 19, 2009, 07:23:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thaddieus Ursus

Greetings
Will be shooting my first Appleseed in April at Huburtus. Bringing my girlfriend along.
Have been wanting to do this for a few years. Finally getting off my posterior.

Belong to Menomonee Falls Rod and Gun Club, member of Waukesha Hangun League, Board member of WI-FORCE.
Main discipline is conventional(bullseye) pistol.
Shoot CMP matches at MFR&GC for S&G's.

First question: is a leather sling ok?

Mogget

Hi Thaddieus the Bear!

Any sling is okay because we'll work with what you bring.  Is it a USGI-type (1907) leather sling, such as you'd find on an M1 or an M1A? 

Mogs

Thaddieus Ursus

Hi Mogs

Yes, it is a GI type Turner Saddlery sling. Bringing my Garand which I shoot for CMP high power fun matches.

TU

EEL

Cheeser,
Won't nobody embarass themselves more than I did at my 1st shoot   :P

Do your dry firing practice at home like OG says  ~~:)

Take the young'n and have a ball.  Youse WI folks know how to do it up right.  You'll have a good time.

EEL
Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

kilogulf59

First off welcome to all, Ken here from Juneau Co. WI.

Second, my oldest, Gina (27) and I are going to Lodi, Winnequah Gun Club on APRIL 17-18.

Thirdly, my youngest, Matt (25) can't make Lodi but will probably go with us to New Lisbon, M&M Sport Shop and Shooting Range in May.

Gina is all wound up to make rifleman and Matt just can't let his sis best him! The lesson here is use sibling rivalry to promote Appleseed  O0

Old Glory!

kilo,
A little healthy competition between siblings!   

I'll be in Spooner April 17-18, but will hopefully get a chance to meet you in person at New Lisbon.

Thanks for bringing the family to Appleseed! 
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

kilogulf59

Thanks to Appleseed for having us....

Will any of your family be at Lodi?

Trisha

Kilo, I will be the only one from the family there that weekend. We all had to spread out since there were so many ASs that needed instructors to cover it.

Can't wait to see you there. I have been looking forward to Lodi for a long while now.

Gumballhead

chewbacca

Hello everyone.  As you can tell I am a newbie.  I just found out about this a couple weeks ago, and signed up for the Suamico on the 17th.  I am really looking forward to losing some bad habits and picking up some good habits that Saturday.  Looks like I need to buy a sling for my 10/22!

martin

Quote from: fepowered on March 17, 2010, 09:41:17 PM
Quote from: martin on February 07, 2010, 09:43:18 AM
Thanks for the welcome,
This is my first experience with both the 10/22 and the Garand. I've been both impressed and disappointed with the 10/22. For me I got a heavy barrelled one that shoots very good. They seem reliable and quite a deal for the money. ( and just plain fun!) But I'm kinda old school and have a tough time swallowing the fact they use plastic for the trigger housing and trigger.

Until I see a plastic trigger housing fail, I am not going to loose sleep over it... :cool2:
Garands are a beautiful piece of work, but .30-06 ammo is expensive and you can buy a 10/22 and doll it up for what you will pay just in center fire ammo for a weekend at Appleseed.  Everything you train and learn with a .22 applies directly to a center fire. O0

fepowered , you make a good point,,,,I took it down to the Ramsuer RBC in Feb and fired 1100 rounds thru it and it had no failures,,,,,,only 1 failure to feed because of a dirty magazine
Martin

Now the Lord is that Spirit:and where the Spirit of the Lord is,there is liberty. 2Corinthians 3:17

Seek the Truth

"We in America do not have a government by the majority-we have a government by the majority who participate....All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"
-Thomas Jefferson

Old Glory!

Welcome to Appleseed and the forum Chewbaca,
You are in for some great instruction at Suamico.  Use of the sling is taught first thing on Sat a.m.  You will find the sling that RWVA recommends here:
http://www.appleseedstore.flyingcart.com/?p=detail&pid=10&cat_id=0

Sometimes instructors have extras for sale in their range bag.   Let's put the question out there to the instructors for Suamico on this thread.
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=12769.0

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

kilogulf59

Lilkilogulf aka Gina has applied to join the forum. I told her to just come to the beer & brat board cause we'll be shooting up hear.

(she a FIB but is cheddar at heart...LOL)

lilkilogulf

Hello everyone, lilkilogulf here.  I'd like to briefly introduce myself.  As my dear father (kilogulf59) already mentioned I am indeed a FIB, but all Wisconsin at heart and stuck in ILLannoy due to my job.  I currently live on the Northwest side of Chicago, but make the 200 mile trek up to my folks as often as I can.  I'm also looking forward to continued attendance at future Appleseed events.   

Taylor

Hello.

User name Taylor, real name Mike Palucci. In the process of becoming a full time WI resident. Have had a place between Hayward and Minong for 5 years or so and will make it full time home as soon as someone buys my IL house. Born and raised in the Chicago area but have know that I belong in the north woods since I was a little kid tagging along on my Grandfather's (Taylor) annual fishing trip up north. Shot my second Appleseed this past weekend down in Spooner and couldn't have found a finer group of people to spend 2 great days with. Trying to spread the Appleseed word down in IL as contrary to myth there are still quite a few right-minded people left. They just need to get organized and take the state back from the corrupt politicians. Looking forward to my next Appleseed and helping out once I get past the move.
Honoring the memory of Adonijah Taylor (1730-1810) my Grandfather seven generations back, Deerfield MA Militiaman and Patriot, who answered the alarm on April 19, 1775 and along with his six sons served in the War of the Revolution.

"What good fortune for governments that the people do not think." - Adolf Hitler

"All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns, that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party." - Mao Tse Tung

"Those bold enough to believe that they can change the world, are usually those which do."
-Albert Einstein

"Let Freedom never perish in your hands."
-Joseph Addison

dragonfly

Welcome lilkilogulf and Taylor hope to see you on the trail soon O0.

Hey Gina, We like to call it ILsucks ^:)^, but as you will find we have a great relationship with our fellow Appleseeder's from the south. Garand69 is ILsucks State Coordinator. Lots of great Appleseed's down under the chedder curtain as well.

D-fly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Reckless Rick

new rifleman rick here living in s.e. wisconsin...this is my second post ever i lost my first one i'll give some more details later
Look,Listen and support...not always the easiest

Mogget

Welcome, Reckless!  Tell us a bit about yourself.

Mogs

Muskyjerk

Shooterer

Welcome Reckless
If your screen name refers to your handling of firearms, we can help.  ;)

Shooterer
Stand up for what's right.... Even if you stand alone.

Old Glory!

GOOD MORNING! GOOD MORNING! GOOD MORNING!

..:..   Welcome to all who have attended WI April 17-18, 2010 Appleseeds!  ..:..

Thank you for coming out. 

WI Appleseed now has 100+ additional Liberty-minded citizens to help spread the word among friends and family.   You heard it; Appleseed is an all volunteer organization and we appreciate any little help you can offer to bring more students to Appleseed.   :sos:

Here is your first assignment  ~~:) :)

Please check out the WI schedule here:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=10533.msg87387#msg87387

There are links to the information pages, which have a flyer attached at the bottom.   
Pick a location close to you.

DOWNLOAD AND PRINT THE FLYER! 

HAND THEM OUT!

HANG THEM UP AROUND TOWN!

Many hands make light work.  Thanks for your help. :)

OG

p.s.  After having attended 2 Appleseeds with Reckless, I can attest, he is a man who knows very much what he is about!  Congrats Rifleman!  Cheeser too!  And all the rest of you.   

New Riflemen, IIT's; let Trisha know if you want to be added to the Wisconsin Appleseed roster.
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=9629.msg81921#msg81921

Reckless Rick

reckless is a nickname from my early driving years and not how I handle a firearm,I;m 40 years old and have been fortunate enough to see alot different places in our world and I know for sure that I want to raise my family here in wisconsin-USA-there are so many great opportunities and blessings that we have that i can't be thankfull enough.Our founding fathers did a great job sacrificing and setting up our country,I let our local, state and US Representatives know how I feel every year and find something positive that they've done.I do hold "the people" responsible for our government(the government can only be as strong as the people).I'm also a eagle scout that will do a good turn every day.I just got my rifleman last weekend with my 10/22 and will comeback next to get it  again with my AR,I never did excel in school but I can't get enough history "appleseed style",I a big fan of simple raw machines sans the computers and fuel injection,the first motorcycle I everbuilt has less than 12 wires,I also believe that education is the key...and  I want the answer to the billion dollar question..Why do people make it hard on themselves physically and mentally when they know there is a simpler way to get the job done?Enjoy the weekend

bronk

Name here in Bronk(Jerry) First Appleseed was at Shooting of last year, then attended the Sunday shoot in Suamico in April. Hit rifleman once in Shooting, and then sealed the deal 3 times in a row in Suamico. Army veteran who did his tour in the box(Light Infantry in Iraq), graduate of the US Army Small Arms Marksmanship Instructor Course, Army Sniper school(Class 03-05) at Camp Robinson, and recreational shooter since 12 years old. Shooting also has been, and will continue to be a big part of my life.
 Live just north of Green Bay in Little Suamico, and have a 12 year old son who also shoots with me. Looking to get my 10 year old daughter into it this summer. Attracted by the Appleseed when I stumbled across the articles in Shotgun News. After attending my first, am hooked. Oh and almost forgot to mention I also like the big bore stuff(I shoot .50 BMG matches as well) There we have engaged targets out to 1750 meters!

Modified original post a bit. ++)
US Army Sniper school graduate 2004
US Army Small Arms Marksmanship Instructor
Rifleman qualified (1)Shiocton(3)Suamico
Iraqi Freedom combat vet

Reckless Rick

hey could use some advise for my AR flattop..I have a junk carryhandle with a sight that might be made by leapers the 2 main problems are the sight is canted to the side depending on your elevation adjustment which is not dependable and consistant.I plan to shoot out as far as the gun and my eyes will let me,peep sights are a must right now and would appreciate any advise...thanks

Shooterer

Quote from: reckless on April 27, 2010, 12:26:01 AM
hey could use some advise for my AR flattop.

Reckless,
Rock River Arms makes a descent unit for a flat top. You could get a carry handle type or just a rear sight. Which ever you pick, get the 1/4 x 1/4 adjustment if you are going to shoot seeds with it.

You could also look at Brownell or Midway USA and you will have so many choices it would make your head spin. You will be looking at $75-100 for a durable, repeatable, dependable rear sight.

Shooterer

Quote from: bronk on April 24, 2010, 10:42:41 PM
Never really impressed with the NRA types and their 2000.00 target rifles, buckled up jackets, etc, etc. They are trigger pullers, and not really rifleman in my eye's.
[/b][/size]

Hey, that is me you're talking about  :-\. Seeing that my match rifle didn't cost 2k, can we still be friends? O0

bronk

Sorry. A bit snobbish maybe on my end. Shooting for me means a sandsock, mil-dot master, spotting scope, while wearing a ghiliie suit! Combat ready, real world weapons, in a somewhat real world shooting situation. It's why I like the timed portion of the Appleseed shoots as well. 10 minutes to shoot 10 rounds is just giving it away in my mind ;D
US Army Sniper school graduate 2004
US Army Small Arms Marksmanship Instructor
Rifleman qualified (1)Shiocton(3)Suamico
Iraqi Freedom combat vet

dragonfly

Quote from: bronk on April 28, 2010, 06:35:35 PM
Sorry. A bit snobbish maybe on my end. Shooting for me means a sandsock, mil-dot master, spotting scope, while wearing a ghiliie suit! Combat ready, real world weapons, in a somewhat real world shooting situation. It's why I like the timed portion of the Appleseed shoots as well. 10 minutes to shoot 10 rounds is just giving it away in my mind ;D
1 Shot every 3 seconds, Riflemans cadence, Riflemans bubble, you know the drill.

US Army Small arms marksmanship Instructor 8) and no one has put a orange hat on you yet ~~:) ^:)^.

See you on the trail bronk.

D-fly @)
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Thaddieus Ursus

Quote from: bronk on April 28, 2010, 06:35:35 PM

Two cents and a soapbox.

Being new to appleseed, I haven't met everyone nor experienced many different egos.
Not being new to shooting, I have met many, many, many, different egos. With those come the connected attitudes.
I don't have the same background, but know a few who do. They also happen to shoot highpower. Personally, conventional pistol is my discilpine of choice.

Your style of shooting is great for you. Others maybe farther removed from it.
You don't like 2000 dollar match guns, I understand the LTR concept but don't agree with classifing as a rifleman with a .22.
I think mouse guns make it too easy, but they have brought more women and kids into rifle shooting.
Bottom line is If I don't make the rules,my opinions are just that.

I joke with people about thier disciplines and choice of equipment. I receive a fair ration of excrement about mine.

We are ALL trigger pullers. WE have common threads in our lives. I don't really care what you shoot as long as we recognize the common foes to our sport and way of life. We either stand together or kiss it all goodbye.

Am I out of line? Hope not.
If I am, I am sure I will find out shortly.

T.U

JoeZ

Sounds to me like TU just volunteered to host a KD mini Appleseed. >:D >:D >:D

We'll get these differences looked at and ironed out.
"What is she, that cometh forth as the morning rising, fair as the Moon, elect as the sun, terrible as the army of a camp set in array?" Canticle of Canticles 6:9