News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gibsonburg, OH, May 19-20

Started by Blindman, May 22, 2018, 09:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blindman

What an incredible way to start a new Appleseed season!
Journeying to Gibsonburg, myself and Cadence greeted a baker's dozen of eager riflemen(and women padwans hungry to learn the art and skill of the rifle in their quest for the elusive rifleman patch. Shooters were a mix of experienc levels and ages, including several alumni and three shooters who were new to the shooting sports.

Saturday drifted by wit the threat of rain and thunderstorms ever present, but we persevered and even hung the first AQT of the day before adjorning. Sunday was a beautiful reward for the previous day with cool overcast conditions to shoot by,
Red Coats showed constant improvement and proof of their attention to the presentations.
   Shooters   100 Yard   200 Yard   300 Yard   400 Yard   HS   Cleared       shooters
Saturday AM        3              4               0               0            0       0                 13
Saturday PM       10             6               3                1            3      0                  12
Sunday AM           9             8               3               4             3      1                  12     
Sunday PM           6             5               5               2             1      0                    9
Two qualifying scores were achieved, Robert Dewese earned his patch and John Seman posted a requalifying score. Special metion to hunter weidner who showed a great interest to learn the Appleseed way, as well as Paul and Michael nawrocki, a father and son team who showed great perseverence through the weekend. Good work, both of you.

IT was over all a remarkably safe event, shooters were contientious and eager to learn. I have nothing but high praise for all.
Thanks to one and all, once again
Aim small, miss small

Blindman
okay, my dear friends and fellow's. My novel has gone live.
"Freedom's Forge, striking the sparks of liberty (volume 1) is available
http://abbacsrealms.com/
part of the profits go to Appleseed!

Mutant Texan

I am in Ohio last week and this week to pack stuff for my move to Texas.  I really wanted to go to this event to shoot one last time in the land of the Buckeye but a Birthday party and the lack of two cars in Ohio prevented me from going.  I really want to get on the line with my 300 AAC carbine.  I have worked up some loads that use Hornady 150 grain FMJ bullets and Hodgdon CFE 300 powder that group very well. 

I also managed to hand load over 300 rounds of .30-06 last week for my M1 Garand.  These rounds use the Hornady Zombie Max bullets (168 grain) which is just a Hornady A-max match bullet with a yellow polymer tip.  I had a ton of spent HXP brass that I saved after firing lots of the CMP bulk surplus M2 Ball.  I full length resized and trimmed these used cases to the perfect 2.484" case length (ton of work here), re-primed them with CCI 200 primers, and filled them with 46 grains of H4895 powder.   I have had very good results/groups when shooting these loads at 100 yards (the limit of my home range).  These loads have a smoother recoil than the Greek surplus that reminds me of how the recoil of a black powder musket feels.  These loads push rather than kick when you pull the trigger.  I badly want to attend a KD shoot somewhere and use them.
"Their drills are bloodless battles, and their battles bloody drills."

Flavius Josephus, Jewish Historian, AD 37--101, on the Roman military

Cadence

Some Photos to prove it really happened.

I will wait for my comments until the Shoot Boss posts his official post.
"A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the
whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they
lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader."
~ Samuel Adams

Corvette

Looks like a great weekend with lots of good marksmanship.  Great job to the AS crew and to the range for continuing to host us.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!