News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Shooting Appleseed with a Crickett? Suggestions?

Started by dwarven1, May 08, 2018, 06:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dwarven1

So... there's this local FFL who's a Keystone Arms dealer. And he had a stack of Appleseed flyers on his table at the last couple of gun shows... and some of the parents who bought Cricketts ALSO picked up the flyers. (OK, I'm the FFL in question. AND the shoot boss for the June shoot in Proctor, VT.)

So... the AQTs really weren't designed for single shot rifles, but I hate the thought that we might not do well by some younger shooters. Any suggestions on how to keep the younger shooters engaged if any DO show up with a Crickett? I mean, we can certainly show them the basics, and stage by stage AQTs won't be too bad - although I think that (depending on how many we get) I'll have to have a separate section of the line while they're shooting AQTs. Or maybe just use greencoat targets for any Crickett shooters? The more I think of that, the more I like it.

Love to hear any suggestions on this.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

maxwell

Crickett, sandbag, and red or greencoat target. My goal with the really young shooters is a) safety and b) six steps. Kids like the colorful targets, and it hopefully helps keep them from crossfiring on someone's AQT.

You might get more detailed feedback in the shoot boss or instructor forums, rather than this one (which I think is public).

Charles McKinley

Make them the designated sniper.  As suggested above prone off bags or a rest.

Bug and zombie targets usually go over well.

Be sure to go over well how to safely de-cock the Cricket, IMO that is the biggest draw back to the rifle.

A chunk of 2x4 with 10 holes drilled in it to hold their shells.

Extra instructors/blue hats to help them and make sure muzzles stay pointed down range.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Leadslinger66

Saw a SB pin a balloon on a young shooter's target and had him try to hit it. Kept him interested, at least for a little while.
John

"We mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes, and our sacred Honor." - the signers of the Declaration of Independence

Monkey

I've put out Daisy Shatterblast Targets after instruction was complete and we rolled into AQTs.

Talk about a return on investment.  Smiles all the way around as they apply the fundamentals and get instant feedback.

Now that I think about it, some self-healing targets may not be a bad idea, either...so long as they don't get shot and pushed in front of other students' AQTs...
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

Laredo

As said above:  sandbag, prone only, and I put a bungee cord around the barrel and sand bag so that their muzzle can not move side to side.  Trust me on the bungee!
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

Google

We hung clays on backers at a recent event.   Went over really well with the younger crowd.

TomM1Thumb

Having someone near by handing them ammo may help,, Parent, Blue hat, or Instructor. making sure They remain safe and have Fun.

and let them shoot an AQT, for the fun of it. 100, and 400 yard are possible, 200&300 yard done as best can be. all done from Prone, with rest.
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Guntuckian

We have pre-drilled wooden blocks, holding 22LR cartridges.  Helps in keeping ammo clean.

We also use "Designated Marksman", thereby never saying "Designated Sniper".

We also use portable wooden rectangular benches to keep muzzles under control.  The rifle is kept from sweeping the line by putting the rifle in the opening under the seat.

It is also AS practice never to let under age 10 children transition.  Prone, only.

We have had as young as 5 year olds participate.  She took a nap around 2 PM both days, with hearing protection.  30 minutes later, she was back on the line.
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

dwarven1

Some truly excellent ideas here. Thank you for all the feedback. I'll be saving these.

However, I think instead of the Daisy, I'll get some holders for clays - clays are much cheaper. http://a.co/7Toqzdf

Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Monkey

Quote from: Guntuckian on May 09, 2018, 07:17:45 PM

It is also AS practice never to let under age 10 children transition.  Prone, only.

It is?  If so, where is this codified?

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

Grumpy1

We have used cheez it crackers with Great success, mount them at 25 m or closer(for air rifles), got a nice little mounting hole for the push pin,in the center. Kids of all ages love to shoot em, and the field mice clean up the mess the next day.
America's favorite 4 moa snack cracker
Ninshos Battle Road IBC 6-13

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

maxwell

Quote from: Monkey on May 10, 2018, 09:32:14 PM
Quote from: Guntuckian on May 09, 2018, 07:17:45 PM

It is?  If so, where is this codified?

I think that's a reasonable rule of thumb, but the SB manual bases it on ability as far as I can tell: anyone who is only marginally able to transition for any reason (age, condition, etc) should stay in position (see page 9). We always run through it at least once with magazines out of reach and all instructors watching closely for potential problems.

Monkey

To keep the nested quotes from getting too deep:

Quote from: maxwellbut the SB manual bases it on ability as far as I can tell: anyone who is only marginally able to transition for any reason (age, condition, etc) should stay in position (see page 9)

Ok.  I had been operating under this premise; just wanted to make sure I didn't gloss over something in any of the available manuals that was directive in nature.

― Hyman G. Rickover

Indecisive

I did my first Appleseed to check it out as a possible activity for my children.  I never expected to find it so rewarding, personally :)
In any event - it was obviously a great opportunity for my kids.  Mary was 6 at the time.  I picked her up a little stainless Cricket.  We went through a few iterations before we found the perfect setup ...
Started with a rolled up shooting mat.  That worked OK.
Tried sandbags - not quite tall enough.
Put a bipod on the rifle - found that she tends to push the rifle, which levers the stud out of the stock pretty quickly.
We ultimately settled on the perfect Cricket setup: one of those clamp on rail things from Amazon (cheap, chinese aluminum, < $10) like one would use to mall-ninja up a 10/22 (as one does), and a likewise cheap chinese-made picatinny mount bipod, also from Amazon.
That, my friend, did the trick.  Rock solid, stable, and can take a lot of abuse.  I keep several of the bipods and clamp on rails in my oh-crap-kit for Appleseeds now, in case I run into another kid with the same problem.  One important thing, though - you have to be careful to get a very low profile one, meaning no top rail ... I had to try two or three, before I found one low enough to not obstruct the Cricket's front sight.

Don't disparage the lowly Cricket - after 3 or 4 Appleseeds, Mary was completing Stage 1 and Stage 4, and completing Stage 2 and 3 at least 50% of the time - meaning sending all of her rounds downrange, aimed.  Watching her run that little single shot so fast (tiny fingers help, I'm sure) is one of the coolest things I've ever seen.  She is, of course, the designated marksman ... must remain prone.  But it's a great little rifle. 

Here's a thought - for the kids to have a good time, it's important for them to feel like they've achieved something.  A six year old, in their first Appleseed or two, is unlikely to shoot impressive scores (the first couple we were celebrating when she was on paper), especially with a Cricket (so-so sights and a short sight radius ... I can't shoot particularly respectable groups with it, myself).  So learning to feed the single shot quickly gave her something to be proud of ... it was low-hanging fruit, an achievement, that kept her from getting discouraged and quitting.  Folks would often comment on it when they saw it, which gave her confidence and made her feel proud, which helped motivate her to do Appleseed after Appleseed.

At the last Appleseed, she was shooting around a 170 or so ... she'll hit 210 at her next one, I'm sure ... I've been thinking of having some (obviously unofficial) "Designated Marksman" patches to give her when she does - I'm thinking just the silhouette of one of those prone green army men with the words "Designated Marksman" under it - she really covets my Rifleman patches, and wants one of her own badly ...

Lomshek

Quote from: Indecisive on September 19, 2018, 07:19:34 PM
At the last Appleseed, she was shooting around a 170 or so ... she'll hit 210 at her next one, I'm sure ... I've been thinking of having some (obviously unofficial) "Designated Marksman" patches to give her when she does - I'm thinking just the silhouette of one of those prone green army men with the words "Designated Marksman" under it - she really covets my Rifleman patches, and wants one of her own badly ...
Way to go dad!

At an Appleseed we had where a 7 year old scored Rifleman the same way (prone & bagged) the shoot boss gave him a Rifleman badge and wrote "Honorary" on one stripe then signed it on another stripe.

We explained that this was a reward for his hard work and that his next goal should be to do it with all the transitions.  He was ecstatic that his hard work was recognized.

TomM1Thumb

A Crickett, with Bruce Smith (9mm4545)Shooting it to make sure it was sighted in. Lets just say it was an Interesting sight to see.

One day It's Owner will get to shoot it. She is currently 4.5 years old. But She knows it is hers.
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Indecisive

Lomshek - that's a great idea - my challenge is to strike just the right balance ... I want her to recognize the accomplishment, and feel recognized ... but still to realize that there's work yet to be done.  Your approach sounds like a great one ... I might just steal it  .. thank you  :)

Quote from: Lomshek on September 21, 2018, 11:20:52 PM
Quote from: Indecisive on September 19, 2018, 07:19:34 PM
Way to go dad!

At an Appleseed we had where a 7 year old scored Rifleman the same way (prone & bagged) the shoot boss gave him a Rifleman badge and wrote "Honorary" on one stripe then signed it on another stripe.

We explained that this was a reward for his hard work and that his next goal should be to do it with all the transitions.  He was ecstatic that his hard work was recognized.

Indecisive

It's never too early :)

My 4yo son loves to shoot his big sister's Crickett ... good opportunity to plant the "seeds" early - safety, eyes and ears, and kindle the interest ... always with me having a grip on the barrel, obviously.

Kindling the interest is easy with him, because at his age, anything Daddy and big sister enjoy is cool and attractive ...
I also strongly believe that the best way to keep children safe around firearms is to eliminate the mystery.  I never contemplated, as a child, touching one of my father's guns without permission, because from about 4yo all I had to do was ask, and he'd take me out to shoot them. (I also feared the epic whoopin' I'd get if I did, which might have played a part as well :)

Quote from: TomM1Thumb on September 24, 2018, 09:48:21 PM
A Crickett, with Bruce Smith (9mm4545)Shooting it to make sure it was sighted in. Lets just say it was an Interesting sight to see.

One day It's Owner will get to shoot it. She is currently 4.5 years old. But She knows it is hers.

glocker21

Quote from: dwarven1 on May 08, 2018, 06:07:57 PM
So... there's this local FFL who's a Keystone Arms dealer. And he had a stack of Appleseed flyers on his table at the last couple of gun shows... and some of the parents who bought Cricketts ALSO picked up the flyers. (OK, I'm the FFL in question. AND the shoot boss for the June shoot in Proctor, VT.)

So... the AQTs really weren't designed for single shot rifles, but I hate the thought that we might not do well by some younger shooters. Any suggestions on how to keep the younger shooters engaged if any DO show up with a Crickett? I mean, we can certainly show them the basics, and stage by stage AQTs won't be too bad - although I think that (depending on how many we get) I'll have to have a separate section of the line while they're shooting AQTs. Or maybe just use greencoat targets for any Crickett shooters? The more I think of that, the more I like it.

Love to hear any suggestions on this.

I like the idea
"Americans, both politicians and voters, may have become corrupted by big government beyond redemption.

A virtuous government requires a virtuous people.

A frugal government requires a selfâˆ'reliant people.

A free country requires people who value liberty more than
money."
Charley Reese

jmdavis

At Putnam County Gun Club in WV in 2010, I ran an event where we had a 4 year old shoot almost the entire weekend with a Cricket. He shot from prone, using a day pack as a rest. The Charleston Newspaper interviewed him about shooting. His quote was "I like my black rifle." His 10 year old brother completed the course and used a CZ Scout, I believe. His retired SF father used an AR. The father shot a rifleman score.

Safe and focused is more important than any age limit.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

2 clicks low

Several years ago an Indiana Shoot Boss made a video of him shooting an AQT with a Cricket. He had made an ammo holder for the stock.

It is probably still around here someplace.
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

dwarven1

Quote from: 2 clicks low on September 25, 2018, 06:51:32 PM
Several years ago an Indiana Shoot Boss made a video of him shooting an AQT with a Cricket. He had made an ammo holder for the stock.

Now, THAT video I want to see.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

2 clicks low

Quote from: dwarven1 on February 25, 2019, 01:27:22 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdI1reKSj7A
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

dwarven1

Quote from: 2 clicks low on February 25, 2019, 01:33:53 PM
Quote from: dwarven1 on February 25, 2019, 01:27:22 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdI1reKSj7A

Wow. Thank you for posting it! I couldn't find it because I was spelling Crickett with two T's, no doubt!

Comments: I haven't tried using a loop sling on my Crickett yet. (I have one for my shop for customers to try on the range outside.) And that's definitely NOT a Crickett 4x32 scope on that rifle.

But I'd love to see a closeup of that ammo cuff he's got on there. That sure let him load faster. Probably homemade? Nice job.

I'm sending the link to this to Jim Pencak, Keystone Sporting Arms' national sales manager. I'm sure he'd love to see it.

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Nashville Stage

Quote from: dwarven1 on February 25, 2019, 08:01:36 PM
But I'd love to see a closeup of that ammo cuff he's got on there. That sure let him load faster. Probably homemade? Nice job.

Here's a photo that I found:

I seem to remember that Techres said it was made of leather, but I'm not positive.

I found something similar on Amazon, but haven't gotten one to try out yet:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004WUNGSC

"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

dart67eb

My youngest son started with a Crickett at 9.  After 2 or three Appleseeds, he moved to the Marlin 795.  He shot Rifleman at 10 and 3 months.  Nothing wrong with a Crickett.  I sold mine to get another 795.
Ignorance may be bliss, but it's not a virtue.

dwarven1

Quote from: dart67eb on February 28, 2019, 03:51:46 PM
My youngest son started with a Crickett at 9.  After 2 or three Appleseeds, he moved to the Marlin 795.  He shot Rifleman at 10 and 3 months.  Nothing wrong with a Crickett.  I sold mine to get another 795.

I hear a lot of people bemoaning that the Crickett can't be used when the kids get bigger; Keystone just came out with stock spacers for the synthetic stocked ones: https://www.keystonesportingarmsllc.com/product/crickett-spacer-kit/

I put a set on mine (I keep one for the shop for customers to try) and it makes the LOP fit me. 'Course, I'm only 5'6", but still.

GEORGE WASHINGTON