Author Topic: Shooting Appleseed with a Crickett? Suggestions?  (Read 832 times)

Offline dwarven1

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Starksboro, VT
Shooting Appleseed with a Crickett? Suggestions?
« on: May 08, 2018, 06:07:57 PM »
So... there's this local FFL who's a Keystone Arms dealer. And he had a stack of Appleseed flyers on his table at the last couple of gun shows... and some of the parents who bought Cricketts ALSO picked up the flyers. (OK, I'm the FFL in question. AND the shoot boss for the June shoot in Proctor, VT.)

So... the AQTs really weren't designed for single shot rifles, but I hate the thought that we might not do well by some younger shooters. Any suggestions on how to keep the younger shooters engaged if any DO show up with a Crickett? I mean, we can certainly show them the basics, and stage by stage AQTs won't be too bad - although I think that (depending on how many we get) I'll have to have a separate section of the line while they're shooting AQTs. Or maybe just use greencoat targets for any Crickett shooters? The more I think of that, the more I like it.

Love to hear any suggestions on this.
Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Offline maxwell

• Shoot Boss
Re: Shooting Appleseed with a Crickett? Suggestions?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 06:44:37 PM »
Crickett, sandbag, and red or greencoat target. My goal with the really young shooters is a) safety and b) six steps. Kids like the colorful targets, and it hopefully helps keep them from crossfiring on someone's AQT.

You might get more detailed feedback in the shoot boss or instructor forums, rather than this one (which I think is public).

Offline Charles McKinley

• Shoot Boss
  • Formerly Stand
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2018, 10:23:01 PM »
Make them the designated sniper.  As suggested above prone off bags or a rest.

Bug and zombie targets usually go over well.

Be sure to go over well how to safely de-cock the Cricket, IMO that is the biggest draw back to the rifle.

A chunk of 2x4 with 10 holes drilled in it to hold their shells.

Extra instructors/blue hats to help them and make sure muzzles stay pointed down range.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Offline leadslinger66

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2018, 10:59:33 PM »
Saw a SB pin a balloon on a young shooter’s target and had him try to hit it. Kept him interested, at least for a little while.
John
9-14-14 Rising Fawn (rimfire)
4-19-15 Blueridge (centerfire .223)
1-31-16 Talladega (KD Qualified)
IBC Pelham 2/16!
12-31-16 Pelham TN (KD Requal)
1-26-17 Talladega (KD Requal)
IBC Calera 1/18!
3-31-18 Spencer,TN (rimfire Requal)
“Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” - Ronald Reagan

Offline Monkey

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2018, 11:43:25 PM »
I've put out Daisy Shatterblast Targets after instruction was complete and we rolled into AQTs.

Talk about a return on investment.  Smiles all the way around as they apply the fundamentals and get instant feedback.

Now that I think about it, some self-healing targets may not be a bad idea, either...so long as they don't get shot and pushed in front of other students' AQTs...
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible.”
― Hyman G. Rickover

My avatar:  View from the office, Great Bitter Lake

Offline Laredo

• Illinois State Coordinator
  • designated Shoot Boss
  • Illinois State Coordinator
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2018, 10:50:09 AM »
As said above:  sandbag, prone only, and I put a bungee cord around the barrel and sand bag so that their muzzle can not move side to side.  Trust me on the bungee!
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being — food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That’s to adventure on life itself, one’s vacation from humble toil having commenced.” -Townsend Whelen

Offline Google

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2018, 11:41:51 AM »
We hung clays on backers at a recent event.   Went over really well with the younger crowd.

Offline TomM1Thumb

• RWVA Instructor
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 03:17:26 PM »
Having someone near by handing them ammo may help,, Parent, Blue hat, or Instructor. making sure They remain safe and have Fun.

and let them shoot an AQT, for the fun of it. 100, and 400 yard are possible, 200&300 yard done as best can be. all done from Prone, with rest.
“The Constitution shall never be construed…to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”  – Alexander Hamilton

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Online Guntuckian

• Shoot Boss
  • Kentucky State Coordinator
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2018, 07:17:45 PM »
We have pre-drilled wooden blocks, holding 22LR cartridges.  Helps in keeping ammo clean.

We also use "Designated Marksman", thereby never saying "Designated Sniper".

We also use portable wooden rectangular benches to keep muzzles under control.  The rifle is kept from sweeping the line by putting the rifle in the opening under the seat.

It is also AS practice never to let under age 10 children transition.  Prone, only.

We have had as young as 5 year olds participate.  She took a nap around 2 PM both days, with hearing protection.  30 minutes later, she was back on the line.
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
 /  %      o/L         ,___--- V

Offline dwarven1

• designated Shoot Boss
  • Starksboro, VT
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2018, 07:48:08 PM »
Some truly excellent ideas here. Thank you for all the feedback. I'll be saving these.

However, I think instead of the Daisy, I'll get some holders for clays - clays are much cheaper. http://a.co/7Toqzdf

Unhappy it is ... to reflect that a brother's sword has been sheathed in a brother's breast, and that the once happy and peaceful plains of America are either to be drenched with blood or inhabited by slaves. Sad alternative! But can a virtuous man hesitate in his choice?

GEORGE WASHINGTON

Offline Monkey

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2018, 09:32:14 PM »

It is also AS practice never to let under age 10 children transition.  Prone, only.

It is?  If so, where is this codified?

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible.”
― Hyman G. Rickover

Offline Grumpy1

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2018, 09:41:57 PM »
We have used cheez it crackers with Great success, mount them at 25 m or closer(for air rifles), got a nice little mounting hole for the push pin,in the center. Kids of all ages love to shoot em, and the field mice clean up the mess the next day.
America’s favorite 4 moa snack cracker
Ninshos Battle Road IBC 6-13

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Benjamin Franklin

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Offline maxwell

• Shoot Boss
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2018, 11:23:54 PM »

It is?  If so, where is this codified?

I think that's a reasonable rule of thumb, but the SB manual bases it on ability as far as I can tell: anyone who is only marginally able to transition for any reason (age, condition, etc) should stay in position (see page 9). We always run through it at least once with magazines out of reach and all instructors watching closely for potential problems.

Offline Monkey

• designated Shoot Boss
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2018, 09:16:46 AM »
To keep the nested quotes from getting too deep:

Quote from: maxwell
but the SB manual bases it on ability as far as I can tell: anyone who is only marginally able to transition for any reason (age, condition, etc) should stay in position (see page 9)

Ok.  I had been operating under this premise; just wanted to make sure I didn't gloss over something in any of the available manuals that was directive in nature.

― Hyman G. Rickover