News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Central Indiana, I am available.

Started by yellowhousejake, January 17, 2009, 05:15:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

Good afternoon all.

This past year I had an epiphany and decided to change some things in my life. Some of this was brought on by the current state of things in Washington, more so by the current state of things in the media, even more so by the fact that my son's friends and teachers seem to be historically illiterate. I am looking for something meaningful to do, so I set some goals for myself Thanksgiving week.

1) Get my CCW back ( I let it lapse when I joined the USAF ). - Done.
2) Carry again, and stop living in the HALO. - Done.
3) Become a NRA instructor and teach "Refuse to be a victim". - Working on getting into a instructors class.
4) Find a way to restore the American tradition of marksmanship. - Were you guys just reading my mind?

I am looking at my schedule at work in the coming months and want to attend an Appleseed. If it is as it appears, I would like to become an instructor and work to promote it's ideals as best I can. So here is a condensed version of... me.

I have been shooting since I can remember, my father thought everyone should know how.
I taught my sons both to shoot, one still enjoys it and wants to be a gunsmith.
I sometimes shout music lyrics in the house, loudly.
I have been a trainer in the USAF and taught in a classroom at the Art Institute of Seattle.
My family can carry on an entire conversation quoting movie lines. It's eerie, I won't lie.
I am a systems administrator by day, I deal with email and web servers.
I program in several languages.
I am opinionated, but polite. I'll make you laugh when I call you stupid.
I own a welder, skillsaw, radial arm saw, lathe, router, and drill.
I can use a welder, skillsaw, radial arm saw, lathe, router, and drill, mostly without maiming myself.
I am and always have been a reloader.
I always spell my name online as "DAve", cost you a Burbon to hear the story.
I have been shooting muzzle loaders since the 70s.
I own a 10/22, doesn't everyone?
I am addicted to Oreos and coffee.
I enjoy hard work.

I've been reading the forums posts for the last few days and this seems like the place for me. I am working to get sights and more magazines for the Ruger so I can attend an Appleseed. Am I at the right place?

DAve Goodrich

I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

metalbot

Davilla 1108

hawkhavn

DAve,

Welcome home!

Yes, you have found a good place, a place where you can make a difference.  We have loads of shoots coming up and I'll plan on seeing you at an early one (with the boys and your wife!) so we can get you on the Instructor's trail.  Also, be on the lookout for posts from USAFE7RET who has been holding mini-Appleseeds over in Cloverdale.  If you have any questions, shout out and we'll get them answered.  Be forewarned, this is a 'working' forum so you won't see a lot of time wasting posts burning up the ether, they tend to end up in the bit bucket quickly.

We are an eclectic bunch and the Hoosier contingent has more than a few IT types hanging about.

Hawkhavn
IN State Coordinator

Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Mudcat

Yes it sounds like you have found the right place. I am from Indiana as well but the southern part, near Evansville. Getting signed up for and going to an Appleseed  to get your Riflelman badge are going to be your first steps. You can also help to promote by doing what we call "boots on the ground" in putting up fliers in your area, helping to get the word out, and bringing yourself and others to the shoot. Bring the entire family it is a great way to spend a weekend.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

yellowhousejake

This seems to be the first match in IN, correct?

Redbrush Rifle Range (Evansville)
March 21-22

I will get time set aside and get registered to attend.

DAve
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

hawkhavn

DAve,

You got it, but like I said be on the lookout for a Mini before then.

Hawkhavn

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Garand69

Oh sure Hawkhavn, I turn up the heat a little with our freindly intrastate rivalry, and then you hire a ringer.......What's next, teaming up with those trouble makers in Wisconsin and running a hammer and anvil drill..........Cheater   ;D

Welcome Aboard DAve! and just in case you would like to visit the home State of the now [in]Famous BLAGO, drop me a line, I'll hand you a bucket or two  O0
Garand69

WSMR 03-10 ...SAPPER STEEL!!!!

"Don't tell people how to do things, tell them what to do and let them surprise you with their results." - General George S. Patton Jr

"One can covet success or one can covet being Right, but if he covets both, he will achieve neither" - Stimey

Do not fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have war......Let it start here.

God grant me the courage not to give up what I think is right, even though I think it is HOPELESS.
-Chester W. Nimitz

yellowhousejake

Quote from: hawkhavn on January 18, 2009, 09:54:43 PM
DAve,

You got it, but like I said be on the lookout for a Mini before then.

Hawkhavn

A mini? Can I assume my 10/22 "carbine" is the choice for that? Nyuk Nyuk, couldn't resist.

I will watch the Indiana board for a mini, thanks.

DAve

YHJ

DaveD

DAve,

Welcome aboard!  I'm working to schedule two mini's in February, Lord willing and the creek don't rise (or the snow doesn't get to deep!).

I'm getting a lot of interest ........Will post on the Indiana board when firm.

usafe7ret
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind."

Thomas Jefferson

hawkhavn

USAFE7RET,

Keep us posted, as you know we're starting to see quite a bit of interest!
May help prove out your line design as well!

HH

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

Old Glory!

DAve,  Welcome to Appleseed and the forum.  Read everything you can on the forum and get to an Appleseed.  Savageshooter told me before I went to my first Appleseed that I was already a good person, but Appleseed will change your life (in a good way ::))  She was right, at least about the Appleseed changes your life in a good way part. 

Hawk and usaf, did you know that Garand wants to fly Illinois Appleseed flags all around the Great Lakes Region? :o  Better keep an eye on Evansville.

Old Glory!
In Wisconsin

"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

hawkhavn

Old Glory,

We gladly welcome folks of his caliber as refugees from the land of Illinois(ucks).  ;D
Not sure about that flag thing though...

HH

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

yellowhousejake

hawkhavn,

I sent a note to the Evansville organizer last night on the Eventbrite page but I received no reply. My son and I had to cancel at the last minute due to a death on the family. We were loading the car when the news came. I didn't want anyone to think we bailed out, we had every intention of attending. We will both be shooting at Cloverdale, until April we will keep practicing.

Meanwhile I can help. Which brochures do you want posted around Indianapolis, Greenfield, Shelbyville, etc? I will start spreading the word for April. It looks like the Midwest Flyer FEB 09.doc is the one to use correct?

DAve

YHJ

hawkhavn

DAve,

Please accept our condolences on your family's loss.  We missed you on the line today!

Actually there is a newer flyer available and I will post it tomorrow night when I get back from E'ville.

Hawkhavn

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

M1FREDQ

Like someone said Appleseed will change your life.
I flew out to California last March for an Appleseed at Corona, CA..Many of my Uncles and Cousins live there so we had a mini family reunion and went to Appleseed for the weekend.
Can't tell you enough about what a great weekend we had.
Not to mention finding a great Vietnamese Restaurant with great food and prices.
I'm looking forward to doing an Appleseed with my daughter and 2 of my 3 sons on April 18-19 weekend. We need to find one near Valparaiso, Indiana :~ :~ !@#) &) **) <:) <:)
My kids picked out smily faces

SavageShootr

Quote from: M1FREDQ on March 25, 2009, 06:21:56 PM
I flew out to California last March for an Appleseed at Corona, CA..Many of my Uncles and Cousins live there so we had a mini family reunion and went to Appleseed for the weekend.
I'm looking forward to doing an Appleseed with my daughter and 2 of my 3 sons on April 18-19 weekend. We need to find one near Valparaiso, Indiana

M1FREDQ,  Hey, I remember someone that was at Corona from afar (aside from my bil colycat) I was the girl on the main line. (girl, HA! old lady is more like it) I went to my first AS in Corona too. Nice to see that you are still around.

OG.... what did I say that was incorrect? hmmmmmm
QuoteSavageshooter told me before I went to my first Appleseed that I was already a good person, but Appleseed will change your life (in a good way )  She was right, at least about the
Appleseed changes your life in a good way part. 
You are one of the best people I know. You have a good heart. That has not changed one bit. I am sure there are many many people on this forum that would agree with me on that. And now you are famous. (Have you seen the new Appleseed Newspaper?)

Jake.... Welcome!! Nice to have you with us. I am sorry for your loss.

~SS
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

hawkhavn

M1FREDQ,

Well I think your closest shoots are sold out (Lafayette and Cloverdale).  However, Wabash still has room and Riley (Terre Haute) is on for April 25-26.

Also, as promised the March09 Midwest Flyer can be seen here and downloaded:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5623.0

HH

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

Old Glory!

Not to mention finding a great Vietnamese Restaurant with great food and prices.
I'm looking forward to doing an Appleseed with my daughter and 2 of my 3 sons on April 18-19 weekend. We need to find one near Valparaiso, Indiana :~ :~ !@#) &) **) <:) <:)

M1FREDQ,

April 18-19, 2009

Cloverdale, IN.......ooops SOLD OUT!
Lafayette, IN.........ooops SOLD OUT!
Ottawa, IL  108 miles from Valparaiso.....ooops SOLD OUT!
Lodi, WI  220 miles.....oooops SOLD OUT!

YOU'VE STILL GOT OPTIONS FOR THE FAMILY, MAN!

Wabash, IN  103 miles.....
Elizabeth, IL 203 miles.....(23 spots sold out of 27! QUICKLY!)
Evansville, IN   328 miles.........BETTER REGISTER NOW FOR ONE OF THESE!  Before they, too, are sold out!

Since you traveled all the way to Corona, CA last year 8), 103, 203, or 328 miles should be a piece of cake. <:)    Pile the kids  :o ;D 8) O0 in the car!  That's probably one 1 tank of gas!   Kids shoot free.   If they think picking out smilies is fun, wait till they get on the firing line!  You know they're gonna love it!   :~

Appleseeds are sprouting up all over the country!  And that brings out a lot of good people to help bail.  There are going to be MANY opportunities to Appleseed in 2009.    I love to hear the stories of Appleseeders who turn around and bring their family and friends to an Appleseed.  HOPE springs forth!   It is glorious to see Appleseed grow, and it takes many people stepping up to help save this country.
"My primary objective is to change hearts and minds, for that is where the gaping hole in the hull of the USS America lies. I am looking to make a spark and praying that it will ignite, by their own will, into a bonfire in their hearts and souls."  PHenry

"Folks, this Appleseed thing doesn't work if we get a patch and go home. It doesn't work if we shoot a Rifleman score and remember the good times we had out on the range. It only works if we take that 7th Step and spread the 'seed. HUZZAH!!!"  Slim 

April 18-19, 2009  "The seeds of rifle marksmanship were sown in good ground.  In the end, then, every attendee walked away as an instructor for their friends, family, coworkers.  May you tend your patch in Liberty's garden well and through a long life."  Francis Marion

yellowhousejake

Quote from: hawkhavn on March 22, 2009, 12:16:47 AM
DAve,

Please accept our condolences on your family's loss.  We missed you on the line today!

Actually there is a newer flyer available and I will post it tomorrow night when I get back from E'ville.

Hawkhavn

Thank you. I dearly wanted to attend but I knew where I needed to be. I will be at Cloverdale in April, shooting or not. I downloaded the flyer and created a PDF, looking at getting them printed up and distributed as soon as possible. I will let you know where I have success.

DAve

YHJ

hawkhavn

DAve,

If you'll PM me your snail mail address I'll drop some flyers in the mail to you (and maybe a few other goodies too).

Hawkhavn

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

yellowhousejake

YHJ

resdep

Let us not forget Auburn in May. I'm not sure how far that is from Valpo but any distance to shoot an AS is worth it.
resdep

Old Glory!

M1FREDQ,
CHECK THE SCHEDULE.....CLOVERDALE AND LAFAYETTE HAVE INCREASED THEIR RANGE CAPACITY APRIL 18-19 WITH MORE ROOM TO APPLESEED. ;D