News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR- Knob Creek, Kentucky,--April 21, 22, 2018

Started by WmLyons, April 23, 2018, 11:28:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WmLyons

Project Appleseed is fond of noting that Riflemen Persevere.  Why?  Because what we are doing is too important not to persevere.  Perhaps this weekend demonstrated that.

As many already know, Project Appleseed lost a dear and valued Patriot recently, Mrs. Sarah Duncan, devoted wife of DonD and mother of Google.  Ever faithful and vigilant, she was a tireless Blue Hat and supporter of Project Appleseed.  There was thought that the weekend might need to be cancelled.  Ultimately, it was decided that this weekend's Appleseed MUST go on.  Ms. Sarah would have wanted it to.

Everything seemed to fight us as the weekend approached.  The Shoot Boss, PapaSmith, tore his ACL competing in a Brazilian Jiu Jitsu tournament.  It looked grim.  WmLyons was given a waiver to act as Shoot Boss in the event that PapaSmith could not.  Thankfully, just days prior to the AS, PapaSmith was again able to bear weight on the leg and though still painful, he persevered and fulfilled his duties this weekend.

On Patriots Day, April 19th, we received word that the lower range, where the Applessed is usually held, had completely flooded.  In fact, the covered shooting range had water on its roof, approximately 9 feet deep.  Riflemen Persevere.  The AS was moved to the Cowboy Action Range.  Our substitute shooting range was set up.  Patriots Weekend Appleseed was going to happen.

Sun broke on a beautiful, albeit crisp morning, Saturday.  The shooters were all smiles and  PapaSmith, WmLyons, WolfgangAdam and Pocketknife began the Instruction.  Our line had Lefties, .22s, a tube fed, a new rifle, and even some centerfires. 

Through the course of the first day, we saw some equipment issues...but Riflemen Persevere.  The students were attentive and picked up on instruction quickly.  The students were just as attentive during the telling of the Three Strikes and DOM stories. 

A bit of excitement occurred when the line heard what sounded like loud engine revving directly in front of our targets.  The line was immediately cleared.  It was suggested that the hills might be echoing the drag strip where races were occurring all weekend but then we heard voices.  Our two skinny orange hats were sent running to investigate.  Sure enough, a group of ATVs and Side by Sides were crossing the field just 250 yards beyond our targets in order to get to another field.  They had become stuck on one side and it was revving engines and shouts by the riders attempting to free those who couldn't make it up the hill that we had heard.  They soon left with no incidents having occurred and the line was safely resumed. 

Saturday ended with the first AQT being completed. As the day had progressed, we had watched groups progressively shrink and tighten.  Our first AQT saw several making Marksman and even Sharpshooter.

Sadly, several of our shooters could not return on Sunday but we hope to see them again in the future.  Sunday began with a recap of the lessons learned the day prior, naturally beginning with the Safety Rules.  Once the training started, the group was carding the sights and then doing a ball and dummy exercise.  We found some flinches and soon had those worked out. 

Lunch was observed with more story telling which two students participated in.  We heard about the Black Robe Regiment from Mark who was demonstrating a book well known to Appleseeders, Paul Revere's Ride.  We heard about muzzleloading muskets and rifles from Rick, who is an active member of a muzzleloading group.  That live fire demonstration was slightly interrupted by a truck load of gentlemen who arrived and wanted to hunt mushrooms on the range.  Seeing that a marksmanship class was taking place, they decided to hunt the mushrooms elsewhere.

Our students enjoyed several AQTs Sunday afternoon, as did the Instructors.  WolfgangAdam (Paul) proved himself a Rifleman once again as did Pocketknife with a scoped .22.  Then Paul pulled an iron sight AR15 from his vehicle and shot DISTINGUISHED Rifleman on a second AQT.  Assisting PapaSmith as Shoot Boss, WmLyons was given the honor of telling the assembled shooters the story of General Lord Percy and his warning to future officers coming to the colonies to engage in this fight.  Everyone was exceedingly happy for Paul to receive his bright scarlett Distinguished patch as it was said that he knew very well what he was about.  Kentucky's Appleseed will be very sorry to lose Paul as he enters the U.S. Army Officer Corps as an Entomologist and leaves for bases around the country and the world. 

By the End of Sunday, the shooters had vastly improved their shooting skills.  Everyone had enjoyed the weekend.  Many vowed they will be returning in June at the next Appleseed weekend and we hope they do.  Why?  Because Riflemen Persevere.  That patch is out there and they want it. They want to prove themselves by earning it.   They want to hear those words said about Paul this weekend; said about each of them.  Indeed, I believe many of them shall return.

What a great weekend to be on the range and telling others of our shared American Heritage from Lexington and Concord. 

Thank you Everyone,

WmLyons

Guntuckian

Outstanding examples of persistence and perserverence.  Our KY cadre and our students clearly are not "Sunshine Patriots", but are excellent and true examples of grit and determination.  Congrats on the Distinguished, Paul!

A truer tribute in Mrs.Sarah's memory could not have been done.   :F HUZZAH!

--
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

RedLeg

Great recap!  So sorry to hear about the passing of DonD's wife.  We met at a KD shoot in Park City last Autumn.  My prayers go out to DonD and his family.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
We seek not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

"Posterity! You will never know, how much it cost the present Generation, to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make a good Use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it." - John Adams in a letter to Abigail, 26 April 1777

dond

Oh how I wish Sarah and I could have been there. But congratulations to all for persisting under such difficult conditions.
Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Papa_Smith

I think the only things better than the weather this weekend, and it was perfect shooting weather, was the instructors corps I had the privilege of working with and the attitude the students maintained throughout the weekend.
I know some of the students have caught the Appleseed bug and will be reterning to learn more and reach for the Riflemen's score.

Thanks Everybody for helping to make this an outstanding shoot.

donD we missed having you and Sarah there, Sarah was always very encouraging and a pleasure to be around.  She will be truly missed by all who knew her and had their lives impacted for the better by being around her.

Wolfgangatom

What a great recap WmLyons! Thank you for all the kind words. It was a pleasure working with you, Papa_Smith, Pocketknife, and all our motivated students. Congrats to Pocketknife for re-qualifying as well! Our shooters maintained a phenomenal attitude all weekend and worked hard. I hope they return. Don, I hope to see you at some future shoot. I will always remember your wife's kindness and support at my first AS last June.

Photos from this weekend:
https://imgur.com/a/gNayN2H

A couple teasers:

Guntuckian

Awesome pictures, Wolfgangatom! 

You captured the event well!  What a great photographic recap!

-- Gary
--------------------------------------------------
1st Appleseed:           04/20/2013 - Palm Bay, FL
Rifleman:                   02/01/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
Cleared 1st Redcoat:   02/02/2014 - Palm Bay, FL
1st KD:  Palm Bay 8/14
1st IBC:  Dunnellon 4/15
Palm Bay 4/17 KD Rifleman
Palm Bay 10/20 Rimfire KD Rifleman
NRA Certified (Rifle and Pistol Instructor, RSO)

O.___.                            
  )V        O.___.                    
  /%       ( V       ,____    O.___.
/  %      o/L         ,___--- V

AuntieM

Great first experience with Appleseed, looking forward to the next. Thank you to the instructors for their patience and use of a loaner. Will be telling everyone about the upcoming June weekend.