News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Coupeville, WA April 21-22 2018 AAR

Started by maxwell, April 18, 2018, 02:46:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxwell

Looks like we're up to 16 shooters for Patriot's Day on Whidbey Island! Should be a great weekend for it.

GTEngineer

What a great weekend for Appleseed at a beautiful range!  The sun was shining and almost cloudless, what a welcoming change from previous weekends and reminded me that I need to throw that bottle of sun screen back into my bag for the next few months.

We had a little over half of the line that were minors who came with their parents and friends to learn the art of rifle marksmanship, history, and firearm safety.  It was a welcoming sight to see so many young folks coming out to learn and carry on the memories of those before and the spirit of Liberty.

Rozlin and Victoria, it's always awesome to see you guys show up and persist, your scores steadily showing improvement.  Keep up with your dry practice (no ammo nearby), always keep in mind the 3 steps of the stool (steady hold factors, 6 steps of firing the shot, and NPOA) as you dry practice, I'm confident that you'll see your groups shrink and scores climb even higher.

Alex and Sarah, it was a pleasure having you guys join us for the weekend.  You've shown improvements in your groups throughout the weekend, take a look at Sarah's rifle, perhaps consider taking a look at the interior of Sarah's barrel to make sure there wasn't something that happened with the previous owner that may have contributed to the key hole issues she experienced.  I hope to see you guys again at another event down the road.

Gabe, Alex, and Brandon.  All 3 of you showed great improvement, I understand it is frustrating at times but keep in mind that a rifleman persists.  Practice your dry firing (no ammo nearby) and keep focusing on the 3 legs of the stool (steady hold factors, 6 steps of firing the shot, and NPOA) as you dry practice.

Jim, it was a pleasure seeing you on the line again.  If you are still considering Redmond please let me know, I'll see if we can squeeze you and your son into the line if its sold out.

Chris, congratulations on the well earned patch!  You are a true model of someone who persisted time after time, knocking on that door to Rifleman and finally crossing the threshold.  We got that shiny new orange hat ready for you!  I'll share with you a quote from Thomas Paine "What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value."  I know for sure that this patch was obtained through hard work and sweat and I know that it is dearly valued to you.  Congratulations!

Here are the few photos and video I took over the weekend (https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bgYaCMisQUSunCRyAUsMvEQwpi1wID4W), the link will be active for 4 weeks before being taken down, please download whichever photo/video you would like beforehand.  I blurred out the faces and name tags to protect your privacy.
"Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might;..."
Ecclesiastes 9:10

1st Appleseed: Nov 16/17, 2013. Gurley, AL
2nd Appleseed IIT0: April 19, 2014.  Rising Fawn, GA

KD:
May 24/25, 2015. Manchester TN

RFKD:
Aug 20/21, 2022. Bothell WA

Requal:
Sept 30, 2017 Custer, WA
Feb 9, 2020 Redmond, WA
Apr 11, 2021 Redmond WA

Pistoleer™:
Nov 23, 2019 Eagle Creek, OR

Pistoleer™ requal:
May 22, 2021 Parma, ID
Mar 12, 2023 Redmond, WA

NRA Rifle Instructor

Earl

Thank you shooters and crew for making a fine little Appleseed this weekend. O0 Here are my thoughts and pictures: https://earl-earlsview.blogspot.com/2018/04/protesting-everywhere-for-and-against.html?spref=fb
... to catch the fire in another American for sharing the skills and our heritage to our posterity. Maybe my perfect shots will be made by those I met along the trials and trails of Appleseed. I know that America is a nation of Riflemen.

maxwell

A beautiful weekend to spend on Whidbey Island, talking about Liberty, history, and marksmanship! Big thanks to Andy and Earl for getting things rolling while my boys and I found an alternate route to the island via ferry, after waiting in vain for Washington State DOT to close the Hood Canal drawbridge.

It was a smaller crowd due to a number of last-minute schedule changes, but it was a pleasure to work with all of the fine Americans who showed up. Brandyn, Alex, and Alex are all shooting consistently in the 170-180 neighborhood, and some dry practice will convert them to Riflemen. Sarah, consider shooting left-handed; as another cross-dominant shooter, I know it's painful to switch at first, but I think it pays off in relaxed vision, and the bolt release on your AR is perfect for us leftys. I recommend having Alex card your sights and make sure you have NPOA down.

At least half the line was left-handed shooters on Sunday, with Rozlin and Victoria improving, and Chris putting it all together to shoot a 214 at his fourth(?) event…a Rifleman persists, and don't forget it! I've posted a few photos of the event here: https://maxwells.smugmug.com/Appleseed/Coupeville-April-21-22-2018/