News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Coeur d'Alene, Idaho April 14-15, 2018

Started by eert, April 16, 2018, 11:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

eert

The predicted weather must have kept some of the registered shooters in bed, but those that persevered the weather manged to do alright! 

The line was pretty vacant, but the quality of folks attending made up for the poor turnout.  All three adult shooters were military service veterans, and it is always an honor for me to teach in front of such a noble crowd.  Our other student was a first timer youth of 11 years old. 

While the chief instructor/Shoot Boss was more than a bit rusty, we eventually got around to making some headway.  Bob, one of our Air Force vets shot his repeat Rifleman score on day one.  On Sunday, Pete, another AF vet and long time Appleseed participant, shot a RM score with the assistance of the 30 caliber rule, than  proceeded to shoot two more RM scores with a high of 233.  Bob shot an additional RM score Sunday.  Michael, our third AF vet, suffered through mechanical issues with his .22 conversion AR on Saturday.  He returned Sunday with a "man's caliber" (as Pete would say) Scout Rifle, and knocked out some incredible Stage 1s (several 47-48s).  Luke (little Border-Run) also had great Stage 1s in the mid to upper 40s. That's good shooting for anyone, but for a first time 11 year old youth, I was amazed and very proud of this young man.  Luke, I hope to see  you at some future Appleseed events.

Michael and Luke, keep working on those three legs of the Appleseed stool-Position, 6 steps of firing the shot (especially step 5 for both of you), and Natural Point of Aim.  With just a little dry practice you'll both be joining the Rifleman brigade. 

We also gained an Orange Hat-Instructor in Training when Pete (Grissom) stepped up.  Since he has a military background as an instructor, he is a welcome addition to the Idaho Cadre, even if he does reside in WA.  This new Orange Hat was a student at my first event as a rookie IIT back in 2010.  I actually got hollered at by the Shoot Boss for handling his cool Gibbs conversion when the line was supposed to be casing rifles at the end of the day.  I have learned a thing or two Larry!

We even got some extras after the main shooting Sunday when Bob brought out his flintlock and gave us some instruction and demo. 

Pete, I emailed the info on slings and ambi mag releases I told you about, so if you don't receive, send me a Personal Message and I'll try again. 

Pete, thanks for volunteering and It will be great working with you.  Bob, good seeing you again and I always enjoy your traditional approach!  Michael, nice to meet you and I hope to see you at a future shoot.  Luke, you did great for a first timer with a perfect safety record and shooting some great Stage 1!

Border-run and Little Sure Shot thanks for pitching in, and thanks Roland for coming out Sunday to help with some one on one (and get a little trigger time in). 

Take Care folks, and I hope to see you soon!

EERT