News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Instructor KD - Myakka-Manatee, FL, April 15, 2018 - AAR

Started by 308LIBERTY, April 16, 2018, 08:47:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

308LIBERTY

Events out here are often EPIC and this one was no exception. 5 of us gathered for an Instructor KD, to hone our skills and test out the range improvements. The range is pretty great. There are new frames to set up our target stands and grass covered, flat-top berms to shoot off, going back 200 and 300 yards. (Chris says we will eventually have one at 400 yards too) We managed to shoot (most of) a few AQTs, gather some much needed data and prove that BSZero really does work, even if you don't have data for your rifle yet.

Mother nature decided we needed more opportunity to improve our character, through adversity, by giving us 30+ MPH winds and a tornado watch. Though it was mostly a zero value wind (if you could really call it that), it can do weird things between the berms and actually moves YOU even more than it does the bullet.

I've devised new wind rules, just for this situation:

4-7 mph - You can feel the wind on your face. Targets can be mounted with 4 push pins.
8-12 mph - Leaves blowing on the trees. Just enough wind to make 300-400 yd shots not so easy. Add a few more push pins.
13-18 mph - Branches moving, lightweight flag on Liberty pole starts to dance. Start looking for a stapler.
19-24 mph - Trees sway, targets fly off halfway through AQT. Repost with staples. Start looking for spray glue.
25-31 mph - Wind whistles. Turn sound OFF on your headset cause you can hear better without it. Shout line commands loudly. Liberty pole starts to tip over. Stage 1 is a challenge to stand upright. Ditto seated. A few made it through but all targets have to be found before we can even score them. Repost blown targets with as many staples as you have in the stapler. Add the push pins for good measure. Start looking for duct tape.
31mph+ - Start having flashbacks of Hurricane Irma. It's a miracle we even still have backers. Try and shoot stages as fast as you can before targets blow off. Range staff informs you of a tornado watch, but you guys can keep shooting if you want to. ;). Shoot til our targets disappear.

Stage 1 - Henry's target blows off into the next county. Stage 2 - Angel's target goes next. We actually managed to finish with 2 targets left and Dave missed scoring by 2 points. Steve showed some fine skill as well. Henry proclaims his typical rotten luck and had already started the day off with plumbing issues at home. If adversity builds character, I expect Henry to be the best of us all.

Suspecting some weather challenges, I saved our instruction til the rains came, so none of us would have to drive through the worst part of the storm . Wasn't near as bad as it was made out to be. Good friends, good shooting, and a fun time was had by all.
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke

Maximum Ordinate

I found this when searching for something else.

I laughed.  It's worth a bump.   **)
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

BillP_556

"The Revolution was in the Minds of the People, and this was effected, from 1760 to 1775, in the course of fifteen Years before a drop of blood was drawn at Lexington."
John Adams to Thomas Jefferson, 24 August 1815

stoneknives

Never did find that Target backer, most likely in Macon.

Henry
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

Savage22

I still remember the look on Henry's face when I told him his target had flown away...
They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power.
― Patrick Henry

Nashville Stage

Quote from: 308LIBERTY on April 16, 2018, 08:47:59 PM
Try and shoot stages as fast as you can before targets blow off. Range staff informs you of a tornado watch...

Now *that's* what I call a "Rapid Fire" AQT!
  :---

Does the instruction include quickly changing your hold-overs as the target detaches and comes charging right at you?
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."