News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Philadelphia KD preperation

Started by TomMPR, April 05, 2018, 11:00:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TomMPR

First time poster, so i hope i am asking in the right place. I'm registered for the July kd in New Philidelphia. I would like an idea of approximately how many rounds i should bring with me. Also, should i come with rifles zeroed for 25 meters or 100 yards?  AR15 type rifles if that matters. Also, is there a significant bennefit to using a heavier 69ish grain bullet as opposed to 55gr lc xm193, having trouble getting it to group much better than three moa at 100yards. Any hints or guidance would be appreciated, thanks, tom

Corvette

Tom,

First, welcome to the Ohio forum. Your questions are good.  First off the easy one. If you have 400-500 rounds with you you should be good for the weekend. As to your zero, come with either one.  If you come with a 25/300 zero, we will test your come downs to 100 and 200. Conversely come with a 100yd zero and we will confir the come ups to 200, 300, and 400.

As to 55 gr. Vs 62 gr, find an Ammo that your rifle likes and that is what you should bring.

See you there.

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: TomMPR on April 05, 2018, 11:00:05 PM
First time poster, so i hope i am asking in the right place. I'm registered for the July kd in New Philidelphia. I would like an idea of approximately how many rounds i should bring with me. Also, should i come with rifles zeroed for 25 meters or 100 yards?  AR15 type rifles if that matters. Also, is there a significant bennefit to using a heavier 69ish grain bullet as opposed to 55gr lc xm193, having trouble getting it to group much better than three moa at 100yards. Any hints or guidance would be appreciated, thanks, tom

Good morning, Tom.

When I teach KD, I talk about choosing a zero.  Your choice of zero is dependent upon two things: 

1.  What type of equipment you have.  (An ACOG or ACSS reticle is generally zeroed at 100m/y.)
2.  How you want to employ that equipment.  (Shooting using BDC, employing battlesight zero, or come-ups?)

There are pros and cons to each of your zero choices.  In general, if someone shows up with a 25m or 100y zero - we can work with it.  By the end of the weekend, my shooters have data on their rifles at each distance and the knowledge to decide what zero is best for them.

As far as ammo goes:  Corvette is correct: find what your rifle likes.  Some bullets generally work better with some barrel twist rates.  A quick google search will yield lots of opinions on the topic.  Quality (match) ammo often yields better results than milspec ball, but your rifle gets a vote.  That said, I've qualified multiple times using Lake City M193.   :)

The shoot boss for that event will likely contact you and let you know how much ammo to bring.  I know my KD's generally require 250-350 for a weekend.

Hope you have a great time at your first KD!

v/r
MO
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

TomMPR

Thanks again for the ideas. I guess it makes sense for me to start off with a 100 yard zero for a couple of reasons. First, the scope i am currently using has a bdc reticle so it would be nice to see how those aim points actually match up to poi at distance. Also finding come-ups fore my rifle, or dope, is what made me lean towards attending a kd this summer as opposed to the rifle SAFS at camp perry. Thanks, tom

Oz

Quote from: TomMPR on April 07, 2018, 08:22:19 AMAlso finding come-ups fore my rifle, or dope, is what made me lean towards attending a kd this summer as opposed to the rifle SAFS at camp perry.

You're making a good choice, then!  I went to SAFS last year for the first time, I lack words to express how cool an experience it was, I'm smiling just thinking about it and I can't wait to go again this year and stretch my legs trying some of the other matches...but you will have more and more detailed instruction at a KD Appleseed.

Oz
"You don't know they're all Riflemen.  They might just be people with rifles." - Zazzles, 9/22/12

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
Nothing is going to get better. It's not."
― Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

"There are no accidents in my philosophy. Every effect must have its cause. The past is the cause of the present, and the present will be the cause of the future." - Abraham Lincoln

"My biggest decision this week?  Well...long story short, I went with the mild sauce."