News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Book - "Paul Revere & The World He Lived In"

Started by Laredo, April 04, 2018, 11:03:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laredo

My daughters gave me this book.  They found at an antique store.

Has anyone read it?

It follows the Revere (Revoire) family from when Paul's father (Apollos) comes over from France as an apprentice to a gold smith in Boston.  He is sent to the colonies to escape France's religious 'purification'. 

It follows Paul throughout his life and has a substantial bibliography. 

So far its an amazing read.  I have not gotten to April 19th yet.  But in my initial scanning of the book - it looks to be dead on!
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

maxwell

Yep, I've had a copy sitting on my shelf for 30 years, and finally read it a couple years ago after getting involved in Appleseed. As I recall, it didn't help much with April 19th, but it's great for understanding of Paul Revere himself and general knowledge (Sons of Liberty, town meetings, and so forth). Esther Forbes is probably better known for writing "Johnny Tremain," which is an outstanding novel that ends with April 19th.

Laredo

I'll check that book out after I finish this one.
April 21-22, 2012 - 1st
Oct      6-7, 2012 - 2nd
April 20-21, 2013 - 3rd
Sept     7-8, 2013 - 4th - Rifleman!!

"The cost of a thing is the amount of life required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run. When one has obtained those essentials necessary for well-being â€" food, shelter, warmth, and clothing, there is an alternative to struggling through steel jungles for the luxuries. That's to adventure on life itself, one's vacation from humble toil having commenced." -Townsend Whelen

Crazyduckhunter

Found this on Amazon for just under $12. Thanks for the info. Looking forward to reading this one.