News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR : Kingman AZ KD, Feb 3- Feb 5 2018

Started by HNHArmory, February 09, 2018, 03:46:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HNHArmory

Another great event at the Seven Mile Hill Range in Kingman AZ.  I really enjoy this range operated by the Mohave Sportsman club and I really enjoy the group that shows up to these 3 day Known Distance shoots.

Day 1 greeted us with a few familiar faces and a few new ones. This shoot has some loyal visitors from California that make the long drive to enjoy the extra distance and challenge this location provides. One was an instructor who came from as far away as Wyoming!  The Points of Instruction started with topics of instruction about target detection, battle sight zero, range estimation, and the mechanics of trajectory. Rifles get uncased and we establish that same 25 yard zero used at a regular Appleseed but with the centerfire rifles.  Afer zero is established shooters are given the task of 'shooting the box' and measuring their sight picture in MOA collecting data on their rifle with their ammo. After a target detection and ranging exercise with real targets placed afield, the fun begins when we move the target squares to real distances. Shooters enjoyed shooting our 4 MOA squares at each distance... 4" at 100, 8" at 200, 12" at 300,  16" at 400.  Day one concluded with a couple real distance AQT's and during benediction all shooters agreed... the fundamentals work!

Day 2 we received yet another Appleseed instructor from Nevada who joined the class as a student.  This meant our line contained 3 students and 3 instructor-students who were being taught by 3 instructors. Talk about a good ratio! This line was a really fun place to be that day.  We started by confirming second zero at 300 yards on some sighter squares then started knocking out the full distance AQT's.  A good rhythm was found where we do just like the regular Appleseed 10 standing, 2&8 seated rapid, 2&8 prone rapid, 10 prone slow but at 100, 200, 300, and 400 yards real distance firing at a full sized (21") silhouette.  After sending all rounds at each stage shooters clear the line and go downrange to check and mark targets.  They are looking for 8 out of 10 hits at each stage attempting to get their KD rocker patch to compliment that Rifleman patch. By end of day shooters had their come ups and we handed out KD patches to two shooters, one of whom got a second Distinguished rocker for getting 10 or 10 in each target!  O0

Day 3, Monday! This day is my personal favorite as we really get to use this great facility.  We start with a couple AQT's in the morning giving those chasing their KD patch an extra chance.  Then we shoot some of the steel on the silhouette range we've commandeered for the weekend.  I was personally really happy to drop a ram at 500 with my iron sights.  While this is a crowd favorite the fun challenge is next. We pack up the line and go mobile over to the 1000 yard range.  We setup AQT's and start at 600.  We call shots for shooters to find come ups at this new distance, pick up the line and move back another 100 yards! Rinse and repeat until we are all the way back at 1000.  By this point the shooter must really account for the wind and some have found they pass the predictable range of their rifle and ammo. For example, 55 grain 223 usually gives up at 800. 

I challenge all shooters reading this to bring your gear to a KD like this and find out how to use YOUR rifle and YOUR ammo like one of Morgans Riflemen had to do.
"...why are there 30 caliber holes in my target, Bryan?"

sleepy

That was one fun shoot! The wind was certainly a challenge, both from a shooting and line management perspective.

The extra day spent playing on the 1000 was a real treat. Wind wasn't quite so bad on Monday, but what you said for 55gr applied to 62gr, too.

Had a great time hanging with old friends, and making new ones. I look forward to October.