News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Let's take a moment a recognize a few great things our Florida staff has done

Started by B.C., January 17, 2018, 09:04:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

B.C.

Hello Florida! It's cold in the sunshine state these days but the burning fire of passion for liberty is brighter that ever.

I spend a lot of time thinking about this program and how we can be and do better in our state. There are so many great people doing wonderful things in Florida I cannot list them all. So, I'll need your help. I want to highlight in this thread some of the great things our staff has done in the recent past. Please share below a success story with a student, a remarkable act by an instructor, a compassionate moment you witnessed, etc. Often we are so wrapped up in what comes next we forget to stop for a moment and express our appreciation for one another. Lets take a moment and recognize a few great things our Florida staff has done below.

I'll start first with a few things:

How many shoots did you work in 2017? I want to share with you all that our very own Engineer shooting worked 33 events last year, now that is dedication to the mission. The orange hat factory up north was working overtime. I will also mention that Lucky Lori was close behind with 31 events. Wow. Regarding Lori: I was super impressed with her when she came to work a large shoot with us in St Augustine last year. There was a female shooter there who was having some difficulty with almost everything. Lori recognized her issues right away and took her off the line with a demo rifle and a mat and spent the next 45 minutes or so with her behind the line giving personalized individual instruction on just about everything. Not too many instructors would do that - I believe it really was helpful and meaningful for the student that one of us would care enough to take that quality time with them. I learned a lesson that day from her and for that I say thanks and good job! I believe that was one of my first events as SB and it was special to have my mentors there for the experience. Even though I was as nervous as a cat in a room full of rocking chairs it all worked out very well, the staff made it happen. I do believe at one point during the event I proclaimed loudly "CIRLCES, SHOOTER UP!". This of course was met by smiles and grace from my compadres and the show went on....
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

Savage22

I've been with Appleseed a short time, and I've seen many memorable moments and acts already. I have a hard time picking just one to share. Its all the little things that stand out to me, and there are lots of them.

I have heard the Three Strikes told many times. Its an amazing story, but to see people in the audience (including myself, and I'm not a very emotional person) moved to tears while they tell the story is just remarkable. I have seen PHenry, stoneknives, and DrRichP do just that. I like to think that the level of emotion the audience is showing is a sign that the seeds of Liberty are taking root.

I have seen Three'oEight come to every shoot with his SUV crammed with gear beyond belief. I'm talking about bringing lots of things that aren't needed to run the class, but are done to improve the quality of instruction, the comfort of the shooters, and decorations to attract the attention of potential students that might drive by and see the event. He is easily adding several hours of work for himself per event in just loading, unloading, and cleaning up. I have seen him skip lunch on several occassions to keep the class on schedule.

I remember RedFeather showing extroardinary levels of patience with students that need a little extra help.

This isn't an exhaustive list, there are lots more examples I can point to.

In my opinion, Appleseed tends to attract amazing people, both volunteers and students. It is not unusual to see students helping with cleanup after events, and thanking us for what we do. The fact that some of them choose to help after the event and let us know how much they appreciate what we do speaks volumes as well.
They tell us, sir, that we are weak; unable to cope with so formidable an adversary. But when shall we be stronger? Will it be the next week, or the next year? Will it be when we are totally disarmed, and when a British guard shall be stationed in every house? Shall we gather strength by irresolution and inaction? Shall we acquire the means of effectual resistance by lying supinely on our backs and hugging the delusive phantom of hope, until our enemies shall have bound us hand and foot? Sir, we are not weak if we make a proper use of those means which the God of nature hath placed in our power.
― Patrick Henry

308LIBERTY

After the hurricane last year, as my wife and I were in great need of some assistance on the other coast of FL. My Appleseed brethren were practically ready to mobilize an army to our needs. (Even Scuzzy who is all the way out in TX and others who got the word out) It was an incredibly humbling moment and I can't thank Malabar (who put us up for the night) and Stoneknives (who grabbed his pastor and a big truck to transport us back across the state) enough. The pastor always says "God will never give you more than you can handle." All I can say is that when I had reached the end of my strength, I am fiercely glad to have such amazing gentlemen at my shoulder, who continue to inspire and encourage, even at my worst.

I've never seen anyone tell the stories with more passion and genuine emotion than Sly223.
Also, can never forget PHenry, who has given an enormous amount of himself to this program, and who's lessons on commitment involve bacon and eggs.
B.C., for stepping up with more enthusiasm than the rest of us could probably muster in the difficult job of coordinating our state and of course, all who paved the way.

And finally, all those who SHOW UP and don a hat, when the muster drum has sounded, whether it's 30 shoots a year or 3. No matter how dedicated a weary few can be, this whole project would sink without all of our volunteers, who put aside their time and energy to insure we can continue to do this. While any one man probably can't plug a hole in a dam, a few seeds can grow one. All it takes is time and persistence.
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke