News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AQT alternate positions

Started by airplanejoe, December 31, 2017, 10:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airplanejoe

G'day folks,
With the prone position being more stable than the seating position, is it kosher to shoot the prone stages (3&4) seating?
aj

B.C.

I say why not? If you can, do it. I have seen a few folks able to get into a "seated prone" position. While sitting cross legged they were able to bend all the way down and place their elbows on the ground. Just looking at that is painful for me anyways....
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

2 clicks low

Except for an "adaptive reason" I would not permit it. The COF is the COF. A rifleman needs to be able to shoot in all positions.
2cl
"Semper Fritos" 1st. Chicago Chairborne

cwcdl79

I learned and shoot with the idea that you can use a less stable position, e.g. I shoot sitting from standing.

RaggedHole

Quote from: airplanejoe on December 31, 2017, 10:10:32 PM
G'day folks,
With the prone position being more stable than the seating position, is it kosher to shoot the prone stages (3&4) seating?
aj

In the NW they always said you ca always shoot from a less stable position for stages 2-4. It is to a competition, most of the people who choose this option are doing so for medical reasons.
[Current Quest] Shoot Rifleman/230+ on a 5 minute "Down & Dirty" AQT. Equipment: 24" Henry Frontier Long Barrel w/ Lyman 17 Front Globe sight & Williams FP-GR-TK rear sights.

First Appleseed: Lewiston, ID 7/16
Rifleman Patch: Lewiston, ID 7/16' [218]
KD Qualified: Ramseur, NC 10/16 [40/50]
Orange Hat: Ramseur, NC 10/16
Personal Best: Waco, TX 4/18 [242/ DISTINGUISHED BADGE :)]

Appleseed Attended In [4/50] States: ID, WA, NC, TX, & KS

airplanejoe

Ragged Hole, I tend to concur with your assessment. The folks I'm referring to are those that sprained their backs doing yard work, fixing their roofs or any other physically demanding chore. 2cl equates my question as pertaining to a disabled person IAW the ADA.

The Appleseed Adaptive Appleseed Manual requires a physician certification that the person meets the ADA criteria for disabled. In the question I asked, are we really serious about this?

If a shooter, which doesn't meet the ADA criteria for disabled, mentions that due to a large number of birthdays and probably some arthritis, or an athletic activity injury, the prone position causes discomfort/pain; not affording him the opportunity to participate would exclude some for the program.

I'm surprised that someone hasn't mentioned SB discretion.

AOC where are you?

aj

Mark Davis

I always tell shooters about the heritage rule:
If your heritage makes any of this painful or impossible, then we will find a way for you to shoot.

The Wolfhound

I am with Mark Davis on this one.  Shoot it however you wish as long as it does not gain you an advantage.  We are not in the business of torturing our shooters.  I don't make people transition if they so choose.  Their reasons are their own.  If someone shot the entire AQT standing (safely!) I would not be concerned with it.  That does not mean I would suggest or recommend it.

308LIBERTY

Here in FL, we have actually seen someone (a teenage girl) shoot the entire AQT standing and SCORE! (also without using a sling) (Shoot like a girl if you can) I'd say this raises the bar on the Rifleman's Challenge.

As long as it can be done safely, a less stable position is always allowed, especially for adaptive shooters. As a LB/RSO, just pay close attention to how the alternate shooter's muzzle is lined up with everyone else.

Quote from: The Wolfhound on January 01, 2018, 10:34:39 PM
I am with Mark Davis on this one.  Shoot it however you wish as long as it does not gain you an advantage.  We are not in the business of torturing our shooters.  I don't make people transition if they so choose.  Their reasons are their own.  If someone shot the entire AQT standing (safely!) I would not be concerned with it.  That does not mean I would suggest or recommend it.
"We have always looked upon men as a set of beings naturally free - that a people can never be divested of those invaluable rights and liberties which are necessary to the happiness of individuals, to the well-beings of communities or to a well regulated state, but by their own negligence, imprudence, timidity or rashness. They are seldom lost, but when foolishly forfeited or tamely resigned." ~Jonas Clarke