News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

QST QST QST Ham operators in ALL regions

Started by Marquis de M, December 22, 2017, 10:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marquis de M

A couple of days ago I read (once again) the Benediction https://appleseedinfo.org/tips/benediction.php and the following words: "Help AS, … - by getting the word out" once again really rang out to me.

Given that I am a licensed Amateur Radio operator, I would like to operate at least two "Appleseed Project Special Event Stations" during 2018.

For all the non-Amateur Radio Operators here:
What is a "special event station"? Please look at some examples here: 
http://www.eham.net/ehamforum/smf/index.php/board,35.80.html
In depth info on Special event stations here: 
http://www.1x1callsigns.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=6

WHEN: I am currently thinking of at least one main event for Appleseed: Multi-hour on air activation covering the week of April 19th.

WHO: One Appleseed Ham operator in every call sign region of the US. If Canadian Hams join in, the more the merrier. With me, Region 4 is covered. WHO will step forward for the other regions?

HOW: Operate at your leisure on as many days of that week as possible, but let us post our approximate on air times at eHam.net and similar.

QSL Cards & FUNDING: I will sponsor the first 1000 QSL Cards, for example the Premium cards seen here:
http://kb3ifh.homestead.com/pricing.html but really need someone savvy in graphics design to get a really nice card design. Imagine the PR effect of this for Appleseed !!!

CONTACT: Who's in? Who will step forward and make this happen? Who will help me get the word out? Contact me direct with your call sign!

---

The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

---

Nashville Stage

That sounds like an interesting idea! I've known a few hams over the years & have a passing interest in it, although I never wound up pulling the trigger to get my license. I think I still have my Gordon West "Learning Morse Code" cassette tape series buried around here somewhere.  ;D

Try sending a PM to DrRichP (he's on the AOC) & see what he thinks. Also try touching base with B.C.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Kennebago

You don't need Morse anymore to earn a callsign.

The technician's test is not that difficult. There are a lot of good resources available, fom ARRL and others. Practice tests online make the real thing easier, and it's not hard to bang a couple out over coffee in the morning. Do that for a couple weeks with a study guide and you'll be in good shape.

Honestly, if you can rehearse and deliver one of the Strikes or teach the positions, you can get your Technician's license.
Wodan bood Mimir zijn oog
doch zou hij beter zien

B.C.

Question for Florida: QRV?
The answer is: Most definitely!
"Speak softly and carry a big boom stick"
"Fortune favors the bold"

AF5US

Jerry2017 - Project Appleseed and Amateur Radio?

Hmmm . . . methinks that maybe, possibly, based on my forum username, maybe I can help?

What are you thinking in terms of start dates?  I'm signed up for a known distance that weekend (21st - 22nd) & will probably head down there Friday the 20th due to drive time.  If this is a week-long event, I'd be interested in generating a few sparks for a good cause.
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

Cable___Guy

Quite a few of are also Hams,
Myself KM4VGV
Dwight in Myaka
Tom and Pete in orlando
Gary in Palm coast.

It fits with the preparedness mindset.

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Americans never quit.
Douglas MacArthur

AF5US

Quote from: Cable___Guy on December 30, 2017, 10:33:38 PM
It fits with the preparedness mindset.

I will neither confirm nor deny my agreement with that statement  ;)

That said, on April 19th the good men and women were using signal fires, alarm shots & rider messengers.  A radio signal seems easier and faster  ;D
Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleer™:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

ThePoet

Thanks for all the good ideas.  If there's any support you might need from the AOC, please let me know.  I'm a very very novice Ham, but am willing to help out as much as I can.

-ThePoet
KM4RKM

Burnett

I don't have anything HF capable. :-[
WØGRB

TallSteve

I am KE6P and my wife April is KM6KUA.

Even though I am an Extra on paper, I am somewhere between Tech and General in real ham knowledge.  We have only recently acquired and operating our own HF Station.  We don't contest.  Never operated a special event station.  Is it even possible to acquire a special event callsign at this point?

The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed -- where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees*. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once.

-- Justice Alex Kozinski, US 9th Circuit Court, 2003

Marquis de M

Thank you all for your feedback!

Current status: we are currently  applying for the following callsigns:
W6A and W4A.

Any Hams in other call sign regions, please step forward!

I personally am applying for W4A for entire week, on air schedule TBD.

Naturally, multiple Hams can operate on the same special callsign at different times/ modes/ bands. We can finalize that later and post at eHam (if you know other places to announce this, let me/ us know!).

QSL cards will be taken care of. Operation to take place as "Friends of Appleseed ", therefore steering committee is not on the hook if we screw up.

I personally still have to update my FCC address for my callsign... thinking of getting a PO Box since I'm not keen on getting visitors. Anyone near Tampa who has a PO Box we can use?

---

The only disability in life is a bad attitude.

---

D.O.M.

Hey Marcus!
there's a new post over at the other Special Event Station page in the Instructor Corps board.

https://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=52702.0

Flighttime may want to operate!

73 de Rick KD8AQT
Can't we all just agree to disagree in a civil fashion while the planet's last, fading hope of liberty and prosperity gets snuffed out?

No. We can't.

de KD8AQT 73