News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Waco TX AAR After-Action Report Dec 16-17, 2017

Started by Steck, December 17, 2017, 11:47:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steck

Hey, Waco team!  What a wonderful shoot and SOOO MANY RIFLEMEN!    ^:)^   ^:)^   ^:)^

I have a few photos here somewhere of some bundled-up shooters...

Tell us your stories, share your best pictures!

HoldtheLine

Third Appleseed, Second Rifleman earned.  Had a great time at the shoot.  The "couch potato" target was great.  It helped me realize I wasn't doing what I thought I was.  Outstanding group put on a great event.  Looking forward to the next outing.

Steck

HoldtheLine, welcome aboard and thank you for taking an Orange Hat!

Steck

NJrefugee

I don't always walk while wearing a wobby...

But when I do, I'm retrieving a target with a score of 242.

Shoot well, my friends.

TXBulldawg

Quote from: NJrefugee on December 18, 2017, 01:08:34 AM
I don't always walk while wearing a wobby...

But when I do, I'm retrieving a target with a score of 242.

Shoot well, my friends.

I think she's on to something...

TXBulldawg

This was my first Appleseed, and I had a blast.  Can't thank the volunteers enough for their time and effort as well as the club for the use of the facilities.  I learned a lot over the weekend, and I'm glad that I'll be able to take this knowledge and apply it in the future as I try to build upon these skills.  You can only learn so much from the interwebs or from trying things out on your own, but nothing beats getting out there and applying it with a critical eye standing beside you and being able to ask a neighbor what works for them and what doesn't while you're sitting there doing it.

I've got a few pics I'll post after editing and resizing them.

AF5US

SUCH a great weekend!

Despite a little cold & wet weather, this was a great group of shooters.  We ended with 7 new riflemen / riflewomen - more than I've ever (personally) seen at one event.  Several others were knocking at the door, and I think the shooters would all agree that everyone there improved their skills.

It's really about the shooters, but . . . On the instructor side - We ended with a new green hat, a new orange hat, and several of our existing orange hats advanced in their requirements for the coveted red hat. 

A good time was had by all!

Rifleman:                          04/2016
Known Distance Rifleman:  10/2018
Pistoleerâ„¢:                          08/2019
Distinguished Rifleman:      07/2020
Morgan's Shingle:              12/2021
Standing Morgan's Shingle: 11/2022
Member: GOA (Gun Owners of America)
Member: FPC (Firearms Policy Coalition)
Life Member: NRA (National Rifle Association)

AgBq

Quote from: AF5US on December 18, 2017, 10:46:55 AM
SUCH a great weekend!

Despite a little cold & wet weather, this was a great group of shooters.  We ended with 7 new riflemen / riflewomen - more than I've ever (personally) seen at one event.  Several others were knocking at the door, and I think the shooters would all agree that everyone there improved their skills.

It's really about the shooters, but . . . On the instructor side - We ended with a new green hat, a new orange hat, and several of our existing orange hats advanced in their requirements for the coveted red hat. 

A good time was had by all!

I have to give a shout-out to my son.  He really took the bull by the horns this weekend and made the event personal.  I saw a ferociousness in his desire to become a better shooter.  By the middle of day one, he told me he wanted to use 2 mags and do magazine changes like everyone else, and he wanted to load his own magazines (I helped him a bit every now and then on the last 1 or 2 rounds...those Marlin mags have sharp edges that can be rough on anyone's hands).  Ending up with a 124, with iron sights, and a 159 using a scope; both while handling the firearm on his own accord (no sandbags).  Granted, he just wasn't big/strong enough to hold the rifle steady in the standing position, he worked as hard as anyone else that was there.  While I'm proud of earning the Rifleman badge myself, I'm even more proud of the way my son conducted himself, and stepped up to the plate.

I couldn't have asked for a better weekend to spend with 20 other shooters.  Thank you to all of the instructors for the time you put in, and for the knowledge that you seek to deploy during the event.
"Remember the first rule of gun-fighting ... have a gun." 

"Owning a handgun doesn't make you armed any more than owning a guitar makes you a musician." 

-Col. Jeff Cooper

Ragnar Delta

Your son was one of the hardest working kids we have had, AgBq! He really focused and gave it his best. And his attention to instruction and observation of safety rules was inspiring.

Great shoot with a great group of shooters! We loved having all of you guys out!

scuzzy

Great shoot - and great instructors. You guys rock.
An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

TxRebel

Hello all, thanks again for coming out.  This was an exceptionally good group and I had a wonderful time.  Below you will find a link to my drop box where I post all the pictures I take during Appleseed events.  Just look for the "December 2017 Waco" folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1wnmsvp9fipz1cf/AACbJ5bEzW4SIQcLypTaVMP0a?dl=0
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing"
- Edmund Burke

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both" 
-Benjamin Franklin