News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

CCFSA Wilmington, OH 18-18 November 2017

Started by Longrifleman, November 19, 2017, 10:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longrifleman

Ya just never know what the weather will be like in late November here in southwest Ohio. Lemme tell ya - I believe it changed from fall to winter right before our very eyes this weekend!

Twelve shooters tried to defy the weatherman and showed up anyway to brave the elements no matter what he was saying. Our Ohio State Coordinator, Corvette himself, joined the line for Saturday's morning Redcoat to make it 13 (there's that number again) brave shooters out to prove their worth and, Man, was it windy!

The target line held up for as long as it could as we pounded out the marksmanship instruction under constant threat of rain (or monsoon, or hurricane, or whatever it was) all morning. A very impressive bunch of shooting was laid down by the 3 new Apppleseeders and 9 repeat offenders on the line. It was clear that some patches would be claimed before it was said and done. By lunch time we were well on our way to forging some Riflemen so we broke for some AWESOME hot lunch fixed up for us once again by CCFSA's Jon and Angie. (HUZZAH!)

After the tale of the Shot Heard Round the World we made our way back to good old Shooting Bay #7 and what did our wondering eyes behold? There was a wind-blown mess the likes of which we had never seen! Target boards blown down, a tent upside down, shooting mats and rifles flipped over and GoodOldFriend hang-gliding off the bottom of Shoot Boss's e-z-up!

Well, the situation was assessed and it was unanimously determined that a safe and effective event could not be conducted in such detrimental conditions so rifles were cased, the mess cleaned up and we concluded the day's instruction and history back at the range building which, by the way, had no power by this point. (Did I mention the two trees we had to move out of the road to even get to the range house?) What a day!

Sunday dawned cloudy and cold! The front had pushed through but the wind was still a factor. Nothing was going to stop our fantastic group from sealing this deal. We completed the weekend's instruction, partook in another AMAZING hot lunch (Chicken and homemade noodles HUZZAH! HUZZAH! HUZZAH!) and got down to the grind!

Darren was first to re-qualify with a 212 and first to claim CCFSA's first-ever Winterseed patch! Glenn was our first new Rifleman with an impressive 219 on AQT #2 followed by Jason's 218 on #3- another new Rifleman! Glenn and Darren both nailed it again on #4 with 220 and 223 respectively.

Jack and Old Jack were both sooo close as were Nadia, Eric, Steve, and Edward. Some fine marksmanship was on display so persist, persist, persist. Terry even stepped up and took an Orange Hat this weekend.

What a weekend it was to close out Appleseed's 2017 season in Ohio. Special thanks to Clinton County Farmers and Sportsmen's Association for hosting some great events this year. Rick, Angie, Jon, and everyone else at CCFSA who helped out HUZAH! to you all!
Do thou Great LIBERTY inspire our Souls- And make our Lives in thy Possession happy- Or, our Deaths glorious in thy just Defense.

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword because the whole body of the people are armed"- Noah Webster A.D.1787

". . . They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons,
that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and
delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings
said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
"The Gods of the Copybook Headings,". Rudyard Kipling A.D.1919

Double00Buckeye

What an amazing weekend to wrap up the year.  Weather was a constant issue but was no match for the persistence of the shooters that joined our line.  It was great seeing some of the instructors from afar that don't get to make it down on the regular.  I have enjoyed working my way up the ranks as an IIT and look forward to getting further on next year.  This weekend showed a number of great shooters.  With a little practice and study many of the shooters that are on the edge of qualifying will be earning a patch next year.  I want to personally thank the shooters for putting up with the elements and coming to the line with receptive teachable attitudes.  I look forward to seeing their progression in the spring.
1st Appleseed Oct 29-30 2016 (1st Redcoat)
2nd Appleseed Mar 18-19 2017 (1st Rifleman)

RedLeg

Fantastic Appleseed weekend as usual!  Many thanks to all the instructors & helpers, as well as the CCFSA for being such gracious hosts and fixing a hot meal both days!

While the weather did introduce some challenges, I was very happy with the turnout and impressed with the shooting overall.  Everyone was safe and had a great time, despite the challenges of wind, cold, & snow.  It was a great weekend to finish out the Appleseed season and I am eagerly awaiting the schedule for next year.

Great pics, Double00Buckeye!  I'll try to get mine hosted somewhere this evening so they can be reviewed by the Appleseed instructor corps prior to being posted.

HUAZZAH!  HUZZAH!  HUZZAH!
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace.
We seek not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

"Posterity! You will never know, how much it cost the present Generation, to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make a good Use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it." - John Adams in a letter to Abigail, 26 April 1777

Corvette

We indeed had it all this past weekend. Wind, cold, rain, sleet and snow. What we didn't have was a bunch of complaining. Everyone stayed focused and worked really hard. By Sat PM, the wind had reached a point that it was impossible to keep the target Line standing and the creaking of the trees surrounding the range told us it was time to go inside. Good call Longrifleman.

To all the shooters, big thanks for making the last Ohio shoot of 2017 a great one.  To all the instructors, thank you for your time and commitment to the mission. Huzzah!

Corvette
Be bold, brave and forthright and the bold, the brave and the forthright will gather around you!

goodoldfriend

It was a wild ride but a ton of fun.

I don't think I have ever seen so many shooters knocking on the door.

Remember to persist and you will make it.

Congratulations to those who earned their patch.

I hear a rumor that the Shoot Boss requalified too.
1st Appleseed 11/23/2012, Crittenden, KY
2nd Appleseed 7/16/2016, Wilmington, OH
3rd Appleseed 10/2/2016, Newark, OH
Rifleman (213) 10/2/2016

Shep

It was great to meet everyone.  I look forward to coming back to Wilmington again, but hopefully when the weather is a bit nicer!
Congratulations to the Riflemen!
"The constitutions of most of our States assert that all power is inherent in the people; that... it is their right and duty to be at all times armed." -Thomas Jefferson

Longrifleman

More Pics!
Do thou Great LIBERTY inspire our Souls- And make our Lives in thy Possession happy- Or, our Deaths glorious in thy just Defense.

"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed as they are in almost every kingdom in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword because the whole body of the people are armed"- Noah Webster A.D.1787

". . . They promised perpetual peace.
They swore, if we gave them our weapons,
that the wars of the tribes would cease.
But when we disarmed They sold us and
delivered us bound to our foe,
And the Gods of the Copybook Headings
said: "Stick to the Devil you know."
"The Gods of the Copybook Headings,". Rudyard Kipling A.D.1919