News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Connecticut

Started by airplanejoe, November 04, 2017, 11:37:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

airplanejoe

I'm planning to visit some relatives in Connecticut. While there I would be interested in attending some Appleseed events. The problem is that Ct gun laws are brutal to say the least. Specially to non-residents. Has anyone ever heard of a .22lr assault rifle? Check CT laws. I can drive through (interstate commerce laws) but I cannot detour to visit; in other words, I cannot be in possession of a firearm while visiting, even though it would be in the trunk of my car.

Question: Has anyone had any experience in that part of the world?

aj

TheMenace

The mere thought scares the hell out of me. I've flown into Windsor Locks (Hartford), then drove to Vermont. Didn't even consider transporting firearms. I suggest posting on the Connecticut state board. The guys may have experience with your situation.
Sons of Liberty!
Defend the Constitution,
The Law of Our Land
https://youtu.be/w6H12dyS8FI
Joshua 1:9

TOMINCT

Hi airplanejoe, yeah the law is pretty strict but not altogether an outright ban. As long as you're not in possession of a banned firearm, you're  legal within the state. You cannot purchase firearms, mags or ammo while here unless you've a permit for doing so.

Here is what's listed in the info section for Ct events. FWIW I've had out of state shooters attend regular events here and no one has arrived with anything I know of that is on the list.

State Laws to be aware of:

State gun laws at the NRA: nraila.org/gun-laws/state-gun-laws/.aspx
    State gun laws at GLBS: gunlawsbystate.com/#!/states/-gun-laws
    It is the responsibility of attendees to know and comply with all and Federal Firearms Laws.

CT does have an 'Assault Weapon' Ban that is SIGNIFICANTLY MORE STRICT than the expired Federal AWB.

For example, rifles are banned by name and include the 'Colt AR-15' and 'AK-47', among others. Semiautomatic rifles are also banned by features. Folks, please be careful with this.

For a complete list of banned-by-name rifles and feature restrictions, you may check CT laws here http://www.ct.gov/dps/lib/dps/special_licensing_and_firearms/assault_weapons.pdf
    http://www.pocct.com/docs/PA13-3.pdf

Note: Ct does have a magazine capacity restriction. Several other items are listed above and should be read and understood before traveling into Ct with questionable equipment.

For the new law effective 4/4/2013 go here:http://www.cga.ct.gov/2013/act/pa/2013PA-00003-R00SB-01160-PA.htm

Non residents should have a copy of the bulletin for the shoot being attended.

If you're using a CF rifle that is banned, with or without a 22 conversion, that would be not  a good move. Same goes fro mags with more than 10 round capacity.

If you've a 10-22 with 10 rounders you' re good to go. Same goes with a Marlin 795, Rem 597, et al. For cf you can bring a Garand, Mini 14 or 30, Ca compliant M1a, etc. If you cannot bring your own rifle(s) a Ct instructor would most likely be able to help you out.

Hope that answers your question, hope to meet you at a  Ct event sometime soon.

Regards, Tominct.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

airplanejoe

You are very right, TM, but I decided to post it in the FL so that the info is passed to other FL folks. But no doubt, CT folks would have a larger amount of corporate knowledge.

TOMINC, thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.

Quote from: TOMINCT on November 04, 2017, 02:35:40 PM

For example, rifles are banned by name and include the 'Colt AR-15' and 'AK-47', among others. Semiautomatic rifles are also banned by features. Folks, please be careful with this.

If you're using a CF rifle that is banned, with or without a 22 conversion, that would be not  a good move. Same goes fro mags with more than 10 round capacity.

I believe that is a deal breaker for my Appleseed in CT adventure. I use a Colt AR15 lower with a .22 lr upper of my own manufacture. According to the law, I'm in possession of an "assault rifle"??? I'm still going to visit my relatives and friends, but with so many land mines I'll need to figure out where I can leave my firearms while within state boundaries and plan on attending an Appleseed event somewhere else.

Florida folks, be grateful and appreciate the liberties we enjoy. Beware of the politicians that would take them away.

aj