News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Knob Creek (West Point), Kentucky (4) dates!

Started by funfaler, January 10, 2009, 01:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

funfaler

OK Kentuckians, we have 4 dates for the Knob Creek range:   http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5231.0  Flyers available at this link!!!

March 14-15     Promotions Boss = Garand Dame

April 25-26        Promotions Boss = Garand Dame

Sept 12-13        Promotions Boss = Garand Dame

Oct  24-25        Promotions Boss = Garand Dame (Thank you!)

This location will easily draw from Louisville, Radcliff (Ft. Knox), Elizibethtown, Bardstown and several other communities.

What we need is a person to step up for one or all of the above dates and be the person to ensure that all the promotional efforts for these dates are accomplished.  Note, I did not say "Do" all these tasks, but to ensure that they get done.

There are several folks in this area, and all of us pulling together, we can do so serious promotions, in a hurry.  If we can generate some good turnouts, we can gather more helpers for the later dates and perhaps add a few more dates at this location.

Post here that you will over see the promotions for one or more dates, we will put your name next to the date.  This will let folks know who is monitoring the promotions effort.

We now have a check list of promotional ideas and efforts that need to go into every shoot.  This will make it easy to make sure we are doing what we can to promote our shoots.  (this check list will be available to all very soon).

Some items there:
-flyers in gun/sports shops
-flyers at gun shows.  The April and October dates are 2-3 weeks after the Knob Creek gun show.  We need to ensure that we have flyers all over that gun show prior to those events.  On the posts, Porta-potties, on tables (we have many friendly tables there), and passed around.
-flyers in community centers-Wal-marts, VFWs, American Legions, work, church, Lion's clubs, etc
-Posting these events on other forums
-Email announcements to community calendars in the area
-Gun Owners of America press releases

most of this stuff is very cheap and easy, and can result in us filling the line here!

We just need a single person to make the promotions of one or more of these dates their Appleseed job.  Ask others to do some of these easy jobs above (you don't need to be local to Knob Creek for some of these jobs) and let's all knock this out!  

If we are going to go through the hassle of setting up an Appleseed Shoot, volunteer our weekend off to teach at it, we might as well get as many people as possible to join us at the shoots.

Again, the more people that we have at these events, the more we have to help us spread the word for the next shoots!

This is YOUR Appleseed, what do YOU want to do with it?

The dips in your couch will go away if you get up and take the Seventh Step!

hawkhavn

Thanks Funfaler,

I have relayed the news to out team serving the multitudes at this weekend's 1500 so the news will spread quickly.

HH
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Garand Dame

Funfaler,

Thank you! I am so excited to have some dates to share with people. For some reason I am running across more women than men that are interested in learning how to become proficient shooters. Are women still free in 2009?
If so am I abusing the program by bringing oh say 4 or 5 women other than myself? I am also working on bringing
some men and boys. How many openings are there available at Knob Creek?

Ready for action,
Garand Dame

hawkhavn

Garand Dame,
Not speaking for Funfaler, but I'll take a swing at this.
1) KCR can hold 35 shooters.
2) Women, current military and under 21 shooters are still free in 2009.
3) No you are not abusing the program, if you can get 6 ladies on the line, abuse us some more and bring 12.
If you want to help getting folks out,contact Might Mouse your KY state coordinator. (I am assuming you are in KY, if you are in Indiana, contact me!)

Welcome,
Hawkhavn
IN State Coordinator

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

funfaler

Thanks Hawk!

Hey Garand Dame, you are not abusing us, Appleseed or "cheating the system".  You fill this shoot up, we will set up another!

Let me tell you that there are limited number of slots, so BRING ALL THE WOMEN AND KIDS YOU CAN, just be sure to preregister them.

Seriously, if we can fill the slots, I suspect we can have another shoot sooner than later.

BTW PM is inbound  ;)

funfaler

Sample script for this shoot, for other forums
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Appleseed is returning to Knob Creek (West Point), Kentucky for 4 events in 2009!  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5231.0

If you have been to an Appleseed event, you know how fun and informative they are.  Gather up your friends that missed the last one, and share the most unique and fastest growing shooting event in America.

If you have not been to an Appleseed, this is your chance to see what all the excitement is about. 

Four dates have been selected for Knob Creek this year, but don't wait to register, as there are limited slots on the firing line at this range. 

March 14-15
April 25-26
September 12-13
October 24-25

Remember that for 2009, Kids under 21, Women and Military (active, reserve, guard) all shoot FREE at Appleseed events, so this is good event to bring the family to. 

You can find out more about Appleseed at www.appleseedinfo.org.

See you there.

Mudcat

I will cut and paste this at several of the forums that I am known on mostly off road and ATV people but a lot of them shoot as well. I would take you up on the promotions guy but I feel as though I live too far away to do much good. But I will do what I can from here. I do know quite a few people in the area, I will see if we can get them to a shoot.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

aakelley

I can't find the dates for any of these sessions on the main registration page.  How do I sign up?

funfaler

http://www.appleseedinfo.org/as_schedule.htm

They are there.

Here is the registration page for the March 14-15 event http://www.eventbrite.com/event/250627634%20%20%20%20%20

If you go here http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5231.0  go to the bottom of the page, you can find the registration links for the other dates  O0

Hope to see you there!

bigjohn

I talked to a local guy  yesterday for an hour about the event . He is trying to bring several people to the 2nd date and was concerned that there was only room for 35.I told him he had better get his people prereged to remove any doubt! >:D   

I plan to attend the 2nd ,3rd and 4h dates myself as an instructor and HOPE our 1st concern is finding space on the line for all the open eyed Americans. :~
"The tree of Liberty must ,at times, be watered with the blood of Patriots and Tyrants"

funfaler

OK Kentuckians!

Flyers for the Knob Creek event are available!  You can get them from this link  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5231.0  This same link is at the top of this page too.

Garand Dame has stepped up as the Promotions Boss for all four of these events.  What this means is that she will be our coordinator for local promotions.  She can not do it all, we need to step up and help her.

Below is the check list that she is going to be working from.  Every one of us needs to look over the list and post here, for Garand Dame to see, what of these you will be helping with.  There is no excuse for all of us not to help!  Some of these items only require emails, so no driving, so if you are not local to the shoot area, you can still help.  Heck, if you are out of state, you can still help!

Folks, Kentucky has a great bit of potential and a long ways to go to catch up to many other states (shameful to tell you the truth), but there is little doubt that the Bluegrass State can muster and make it this a "happy Appleseed State"!

So, let's not waste any time getting to work on this first Knob Creek shoot!  We get more folks to attend these Appleseeds, that is more people to help us on the next shoots  O0

------------------------------------------Promotions Checklist------------------------------------------------------------------------
The idea here:

1)  Stick to those items that we need the LBOTG to do

2)  This is promotion for a specific shoot. 

3)  We will eventually break down to "Should do" and "may want to consider".

All should use this checklist for each shoot, to ensure that all the bases are getting covered.  Those assigned with the responsibility for each shoot, will be able to use this check list to hand out assignments to others, to ensure that it gets done and all bases are covered.

Here is a check list of Local BOTG action items that need to be done for each shoot:  (Please post your ideas and additions) 

1) Flyer distribution:  We need to list all the possible locations we can, folks lack imagination
  a) Gun/Sports Shops
  b) Gun shows
  c) Grocery Stores and Wal-marts
  d)  Community Centers:  VFW, American Legions, Mason Halls, Church, work,
  e) Barber shops
  f) Local colleges, universities.  Be sure to look for shooting programs on campus, they can be good partners in this effort!
  g) Auto dealers, motorcycle dealers, surfboard dealers (gotta think of Ca.)
  h) Assisted Living communities-Retirement homes
  I) Fire Stations, Police Stations, Union halls, Volunteer fire departments, trade centers
  j)  Non-sponsoring gun clubs- Normally pistol/shotgun only ranges, sometimes indoors.
  k)  Book stores/magazine racks.  Slide them inside gun magazines, as "inserts", be smart about it.

2)  Internet tools
  a) Other forums (supply list of suggestions)
  b) Community Calendars for surrounding towns/cities
  c) GOA Event announcements
  f)  Send announcements to your friends/family in your address book, ask them to forward it to their address book.

3)  Other organizations within the state, send announcements.
  a)  State Shooter's associations
  b)  State gun rights political groups:  Conceal carry, 2A groups, Campaign for Liberty, Democrats/Republican (must do both or neither)
  c)  Boy Scouts:  Local troops
  d)  4H:  Local chapters.
  e)  DAR/SAR chapters
  f)  Four Wheeler groups, mud/ridge runner groups

4)  Coordination with host club/range
  a)  ensure they have plenty of flyers and they are hung up
  b)  ensure they have event posted on their website/calendar
  c)  ensure they have put event in club News letter
  d)  "advertise" at club for help with local promotions for this event, to get others to help distribute flyers in the community

5)  Other
  a)  Thrifty Nickle ads

funfaler

Knob Creek offers us an unique opportunity!

The second and forth shoot at this location are just 2-3 weeks after the big 'Machine Gun Shoot' at this location. 

We need to ensure that there is an Appleseed flyer in every porta-john, big top posts and table that we can reach.  There will be thousands of people at these Machine Gun Shoots.  Some will be local enough to come back for our event, many others will be from all over the country, so we can get some national exposure for the program too.

We also need to get a flyer on the posts at the covered shooting area out there, prior to each of our events.

How about someone do a quick internet search to find all the gun shops in the Louisville, E'town and nearby areas.  We need to get flyers into each of them.

As to the flyers, there is one for each event, and one with all four events listed.  I highly suggest that we over use the one with all four events, why not? ;)

Folks, as of now, this is the ONLY Kentucky location, so we had better toss our full weight behind this effort!  The people of the Bluegrass are counting on you.

funfaler

Here is a sample posting of this event for other internet forums.  You are welcome to use it in whole or modify it, just ensure that they links work and be sure if you modify it, that what you add is accurate.  If you have any questions, contact me.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Exciting News! 

The Appleseed Project is coming back to Knob Creek Shooting range (West Point, Kentucky), not just once, but FOUR times in 2009!  That is right, Knob Creek Range will be hosting Four Appleseed Shoots in 2009:

March 14-15
April 25-26
September 12-13
October 24-25

You can get more details about each of these shoots here:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5231.0

If you have been to an Appleseed, you understand how much fun they are, so bring many friends and family with you this time.  If you have not been to an Appleseed, come on out an see why this is the fastest growing shooting event in America! 

Remember, Kids under 21, Women, and current Military (active, reserve, guard) ALL SHOOT FREE at Appleseed Shoots (range fees may still apply), so bring out the whole family for safe fun, with a purpose.

There are only 35 spots on the firing line at this location, so be sure to pre-register early at the link above to ensure your spot on the firing line.

You can learn more about Project Appleseed at www.appleseedinfo.org

See ya there!

hawkhavn

Remember your Hoosier brethren will be pushing all 4 of the shoots at the Indy 1500 and our Appleseeds all year long, so if you want to come up and do a few hours pushing KCR shoots, you're more than welcome!!!   ;D  I always have the KY shoots on our regional flyer.

Also, one of the FL IITs has a table in the main dealers building. While I have is business card, I'll have to dig up his screen name.  And Dinky has some friends there as well.

Hawkhavn

Dr. Jerry Pournelle

---Robert Anson Heinlein

aakelley

Thanks for the pointers.  I will likely sign up for the April session.  As a complete newb what's the general schedule of these?  I see they run Saturday and Sunday...assume both days are part of the 'full experience'?

funfaler

Hey Hawk,

I have the FL IIT's card as well, good guy!   We will get in touch with him.

aakelly, registration starts at 8:30am each day, I HIGHLY suggest you get there between 7:30 and 8:00am, to get settled in and to get started early.  The day will run until 5-6pm on Saturday, depending on daylight and flow of the course.  Usually done by 5pm on Sunday. 

Yep, you want the "full flavor" of Appleseed, you will want to be there for both days.  Day 1 is a serious bout of Instruction, pouring 10 lbs of information into a 2 lbs bucket.  Day two is about expanding the size of your bucket to hold that 10 lbs of information  ;) :D   Those who on come one day get a great deal of information, those that come to both, really learn what is being taught and get more personal attention.

Now, aakelly, we need YOUR HELP in getting the word out, for all four of these events!  You can download the flyers from the page linked above and place them at work, church, barber shops, gun shops, grocery stores, 4H groups, Boy Scouts, flea markets, fire stations, police stations, pretty much everywhere you go. 

Appleseed is about neighbors helping neighbors, and one of the best things you can do for your fellow neighbor is to get them to come to an Appleseed. O0

Hope to see you and a car load of others there!  Do register early, spaces are limited.

funfaler

Come on Kentuckians,

Garand Dame has stepped up to be the Promotions Boss, who here can give her some help?

I have about 300 SWAT Mag articles with flyers in them (thanks to my girls) and about another 200 flyers.

I will be taking them to some gun shops tomorrow, Shooter's Supply, KY Imports.  And getting some to Garand Dame if we can meet.

Any other takers or is 6 people at the Knob Creek Appleseed enough  ::)

funfaler

We need someone to make contact with the home schoolers in KY  http://hslda.org/orgs/default.asp?State=KY

These folks love Appleseed!  Just need to tell them about it...

FatGeek

Bass Pro Shop, Dick's Sporting Goods, and 111 Gun Shop in Clarksville Indiana each have approx 50 KY Fliers.  I have kept Garand Dame updated, should be able to get fliers to Two Brothers & Tactical Inc in New Albany next weekend.

Has anyone contacted the Home School group here in Louisville?  If not, please let me know and I'll call the Director.

There is a gun show in Louisville at the Fairgrounds on March 7-8, the weekend before the first Knob Creek shoot.  Would anyone else be available to help sponsor/work a table and bring fliers?  The show manager definitely won't donate the table, I'll PM the details of my conversation with him to FunFaler, HawkHavn, MudCat & GarandDame.

funfaler

I sent an email annoucement for the Knob Creek and Greensburg Appleseeds to the 4H offices for the surrounding counties.

Here is a link for the Homeschool support organizations in KY, anyone want to send them an announcement/invitation to the KY shoots?  http://www.home-school.com/groups/KY.html   Sending Emails is FREE, easy and heck, could be fun and effective too......imagine that.

These shoots are just around the corner, time to get the word out and get folks to the line!

What else has been done to get the word out?

How about MIGHTY MOUSE or MANSKER add the Greensburg shoots to this board, like the Knob Creek shoot is.  And, let's find a "Promotions Boss" for the Greensburg location, too.  Garand Dame has stepped up for Knob Creek!  We need someone for each shoot location.

The more people we get to the line on these first shoots, the more helpers we have for the later shoots.

funfaler

Hey Garand Dame, how about a review of what has been done and what needs to be done.

Everyone else, how about you chime in real quick and let us know what you have done.

Is there a chance that someone can resupply the flyers at the Knob Creek range?  When I went, I only had the national flyers, without Knob Creek on it, as it was the same day I set these shoots up.  They need a stack of the flyers with their dates on it.

What other gun shops in the Louisville, E'town, Bardstown, Radcliff area have been stocked with flyers?  Not to mention Southern IN and other locations near enough?  Big John, can we get some out in Lexington area?  This will be the closest Appleseed for Lexington.

Has anyone been in contact with Keith, to ensure he is well stocked for the Gun Shows?  Keith goes to several gun shows around the state, at the very least, he needs SWAT mag articles and Flyers.  Can someone please contact him and ensure he has some?  Also, we need him to join the forum, just too easy to over look those guys if they are not here.  Too much information on this forum for them not to have access.

ky_dave

Newbie here and plan on bringing my son and hopefully my wife and daughter to the meet in Sept.  What is the itinerary for the 2 days?  I can't seem to find it anywhere as we will probably only be able to make it on the Saturday.

jmdavis

Dave,

Most of the instruction takes place on Saturday. Sunday polishes things up and really focuses on the AQT (Army Qualification Test). While you may only shoot an AQT or two on Saturday. You will shoot quite a few on Sunday.

Don't get me wrong. You do quite a bit of shooting on Saturday as well. But the focus of much of that shooting is integrating the use of positions, slings, and mag changes. We also focus on getting shooters group size to 1" or less on Saturday and making sure that rifles are actually zeroed and that shooters know how their sights work.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

funfaler

This is from a Master Instructor here, it may give you a flavor of what you are looking for:

QuoteAppleseed, a brief explanation.

I first start off my conversations telling others that I am an instructor.  I teach marksmanship and a little bit of history, specifically on April 19th, the first day of the American Revolution.

This is what you can expect at an Appleseed, lots of good people, lots of fun and lots to learn. So come with a teachable attitude.

The most important thing we stress is safety. We have shooters from all ages and all different experience levels. Everyone needs to follow all the safety rules so nobody gets hurt.

You get to learn the different shooting positions of prone, sitting, and standing (or offhand). You learn what your target is telling you, yes, it really does "talk" to you! You learn how to sight in your rifle and what a group is. 

It doesn't matter if you have never shot before or have shot all your life. Most of our experienced shooters are very humbled by the end of day one.

You will be shooting at one inch squares, red coats, green coats and AQT's. The Army Qualification Test (referred to as the AQT) is a timed event and done in four stages. You may be surprised at how well you do by the end of day two. Your goal is to earn your rifleman patch with a score of 210 or higher.

You will learn about the events of April 19, 1775. We tell you a story to remind everyone about our heritage and what our forefathers did for us so long ago. Because of them we get to enjoy our liberties today. I promise you won't be disappointed.

We as instructors are all volunteers. We all believe in the cause and all of us enjoy teaching others our heritage and marksmanship skills.

Plan on two days as it is the only way to get the most out of what we will teach you.  Be sure to bring a friend/family member or five! It's always more fun with people you know!