News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Re: Dangerous Old Men

Started by Henry Foxall, October 26, 2017, 02:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Henry Foxall

With regards to Aim Small Hit Small's idea of having s special designation for those of us "up in years" that attain a Rifleman's score on the AQT...

I can see how a designation of "Dangerous Old Man/Woman" might be seen as offensive or threatening to the uninitiated. Might I offer what may be a "reasonable alternative?"

Instead of becoming a "Dangerous Old Man/Woman," why not a tab indicating "ALARM LISTER?" Completely non-offensive or threatening, yet opens the door to questions...

"Excuse me...what the heck is an 'Alarm Lister?'" An explanation of what the Alarm Lister was in historical context could open the door to a larger discussion of our founding history, as well as a "C''mon out and join us - there's more to learn!"

Seeing as some of the most dangerous opponents faced by the Regulars that day were these old warriors, it stands to reason the label would be an appropriate fit for our modern-day "Dangerous Old Men/Women."

Just a thought...
"Tell the men to fire faster and not give up the ship. Fight her till she sinks!"(Attributed to Captain James Lawrence, USS Chesapeake v HMS Shannon, June 1st, 1813)

The ship is sinking - bailers needed. Apply here!

Pain Killer

"We have staked the whole of all our political Institutions upon the capacity of mankind for Self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves, to control ourselves, to sustain ourselves according to The Ten Commandments of God." - James Madison

The Wolfhound

Embracing the "Alarm Lister", I am.  Beats "Ancient Flatulence" in its many forms. And, yes, I do resemble that remark.

Thaddeus

Maybe a t-shirt or sweatshirt as appropriate? Any graphics artists want to give it a try?

Rev.357

Is there a designation for old, fat, arthritic, asthmatic, and blind shooters? 
He that beliveth on the Son hath everlasting life: John 3:36
Life: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1
Liberty: Endowed by our Creator, made possible by Christ the Lord.

Repent yet therefore, and be converted, Acts 3:19
Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.

PHenry

I've always referred to them as "Dangerous Old men & Brave Women" because it weren't just hairy-legged men that wrested this great nation from the bonds of tyranny.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Nashville Stage

Quote from: Rev.357 on November 07, 2017, 02:16:13 PM
Is there a designation for old, fat, arthritic, asthmatic, and blind shooters?

We tried, but it wouldn't fit on the patch.

;D
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

maxwell

Henry Foxall

I think "blind shooters" refers to those of us that use optics instead of iron sights!  ;D
"Tell the men to fire faster and not give up the ship. Fight her till she sinks!"(Attributed to Captain James Lawrence, USS Chesapeake v HMS Shannon, June 1st, 1813)

The ship is sinking - bailers needed. Apply here!

Rev.357

Thanks for trying,Nashville. I'm still shooting iron sights for as long as possible. I had the indoor Olympic training range to myself, so I sent a few. All touching in the black, but I couldn't find all the brass. Crawling around like Mr. Magoo was pitiful. These youngsters who can see the target are cheating. Focus on the front sight and shoot where the target used to be.

Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Galatians 5:1

Pursuit of Happiness: Endowed by our Creator, coined by John Locke, made possible by Christ our Lord.

Author of: "Ad  Hoc,  Post Hoc; Educational Programs In Camping." Christian Education Journal, Winter 1993.
Author of: Interpersonal Physics: Authority Statics and Effectivity Dynamics as Factors of Influence. Wheaton,  IL: UMI 1991.

Nashville Stage

Quote from: maxwell on November 07, 2017, 09:19:51 PM
Quote from: Rev.357 on November 07, 2017, 02:16:13 PM
blind shooters?
This one we might not want to encourage...

Funny enough, a neat NPOA drill that I learned was this: Make the line hot, have the students get in position, load their rifle, verify their NPOA, then close their eyes & fire 5 shots in Rifleman's cadence.
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

PHenry

Yeah, we did the blind star target nope cof at my second event in 2008. It were a differing demographic then. Not so oddly, it did work well. I shot my best group of the day with my eyes shut tight.
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata

Monkey

Quote from: PHenry on November 13, 2017, 01:14:32 PM
Yeah, we did the blind star target nope cof at my second event in 2008. It were a differing demographic then. Not so oddly, it did work well. I shot my best group of the day with my eyes shut tight.

Are star targets still available for Shoot Boxes?
"5 minutes for this stage - that's like a week in people years!"

"Responsibility is a unique concept... You may share it with others, but your portion is not diminished. You may delegate it, but it is still with you... If responsibility is rightfully yours, no evasion, or ignorance or passing the blame can shift the burden to someone else. Unless you can point your finger at the man who is responsible when something goes wrong, then you have never had anyone really responsible."
― Hyman G. Rickover

"Scoring is a function of great execution, and winning Is the result, but thinking about winning can pull your focus off of proper execution in a competition. Thinking about process is the answer."- Lanny Bassham

Thaddeus

Star targets are not in stock at the warehouse.

Nashville Stage

The targets are fairly easy to print or copy on regular 8.5 x 11" paper. They're solid black, with a ~1" white circle or star in the middle as an aiming point.

Rev.357

Actually,Nashville, that's an extremely good point. I work with young shooters, and often explain NPoA numerous times. Sometimes I use a rifle laying on the ground, or drop a pen on the ground, and say: This pen is pointed somewhere. If I could fire this pen, and make a hole in Mr. Miller's wall without moving the pen. Then center a target on the hole, and then fire the pen again without moving it. Then I would hit a bullseye.

I have toyed with your blindfold idea but hadn't figured it out. One could use a blank target back, and attempt to shoot a tight group. This puts the focus on a solid position and trigger control.

jmdavis

The original star targets were a red star in the center of an 8.5x11 target. I preferred to shoot the drill as a team drill like carding the sights and using a card rather than having the shooter close his or her eyes.
"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner

Rev.357

When we get into advanced precision rifle at the CIPS Olympic Training Facility, we check NPOA by simply glancing away. This, along with the use of translucent occluders, prevents the pupils from dilating. However, I always begin by having new shooters close their eyes. I think it better communicates the concept of NPOA.

Carding like jmdavis suggested also eliminates the issue of eyes attempting to dilate back and forth.

NB: Please note well, the Appleseed way is the best for Appleseed. Precision shooting is always non-dynamic shooters shooting at non-dynamic targets always and only at 10 meters or 50 feet taking 120 seconds per shot instead of 55 seconds per magazine.