News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

CMP Advance Maintenance Class (read if you like Garands)

Started by Maximum Ordinate, October 24, 2017, 09:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maximum Ordinate

Last year, I applied to attend the CMP's Advanced Maintenance Class for the Garand.

My class started today and I was surprised to see 2 Clicks Low from Indiana attending as well!  It's always good to have other Appleseeders around.

The day started with a briefing from the Chief Operating Officer, Mark Johnson.  I took a few notes from his Q&A session that will be of interest to anyone who loves M1 Garands or M1 Carbines.

1.  13,000 M1 Garands are inbound from Turkey.  Their exact condition is unknown, but Mr. Johnson said that similar shipments consist of: 10% junk, 10% beautiful examples, and 80% in-between.  These rifles are due to arrive in December and should hit the shelves in mid-Spring.

2.  86,000 M1 Garands are inbound from the Philippines.  His expectation is they will have a processing schedule 2-3 months behind the Turkish returns.  Same expectation of quality.

3.  According to Mr. Johnson and contrary to reports in the press and blogs, the Korean M1 Garands are lend/lease rifles.  The Korean government wants to sell them outright for cash rather than return the loaned property.  The rumors about the Korean government owning these rifles were started by Korea.  There are approximately 85,000 Garands and 100,000 M1 Carbines (yes, that last number is what he said). 

4.  There is also 50,000,000 rounds of US-produced ammunition (in Korea, I understood him to mean.). However, due to US law it cannot be imported.  Interestingly, Mr. Johnson mentioned that many of the import restrictions we have today are a result of lobbying of Congress by American firearms and ammo manufacturers.  (Fill in your own blanks. -Rusty)

5.  There is no current plan to expand Talladega Marksmanship Park to include Unknown Distance shooting.  That is a disappointment to some of us who were hoping.

6.  The Advanced Maintenance Class is the first of a number of planned classes.  The phrase Mr. Johnson used was "CMP College" and the intent was 1903, M1 Carbine, and Garand maintenance/assembly classes.  The CMP College would also umbrella Range staff training, RSO training, and other training opportunities they offer.

7.  1911s.  It's a mess.  Don't call about them.  Don't write CMP about them.  If you want to help get it straightened out, contact your Senator and Representative to have the proper "shall issue" language in the National Defense Authorization Act.

As I can, I will add pictures.  However, pictures inside the Armory and Warehouses are now forbidden.  Apparently, management feel these photos are an OPSEC threat and the Army (who provides these rifles to CMP) agree. 

We did tour the Armory and other buildings today.  I'm a regular visitor to the South Store.  The quality of the rifles being pushed out is much nicer than what I've seen available in the past several years. 

Mr. Johnson stated they are no longer concerned about running out of quality rifles any time soon. 

More Garands is excellent news.  Every Rifleman should own a .30 caliber rifle and be proficient in it's use!

v/r
Rusty
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

We're in the Liberty business.  Stay on Mission - Stay on Message.

Want to be a more effective Instructor?  Visit Appleseed Academy.

DeoreDX

Really interesting info. If someone was considering buying themselves a 30 cal Christmas present sounds like waiting until early next year and get a 30 cal birthday present instead might be advisable?
Jin aka DeoreDX

TomM1Thumb

Any suggestions on How to get this ammo in to the US? .  "There is also 50,000,000 rounds of US-produced ammunition (in Korea, I understood him to mean.). However, due to US law it cannot be imported.  Interestingly, Mr. Johnson mentioned that many of the import restrictions we have today are a result of lobbying of Congress by American firearms and ammo manufacturers.  (Fill in your own blanks. -Rusty)"

Sounds to Me that a change from congress would be needed.
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: DeoreDX on October 25, 2017, 12:12:56 AM
Really interesting info. If someone was considering buying themselves a 30 cal Christmas present sounds like waiting until early next year and get a 30 cal birthday present instead might be advisable?

Deore,

You're certainly close enough to visit the South Store, handle a few rifles, and see what appeals to you.  That's my favorite way to get a Garand, but I've had excellent luck with mail order.  :)

v/r
MO

Quote from: TomM1Thumb on October 25, 2017, 04:07:37 PM
Any suggestions on How to get this ammo in to the US? .  "There is also 50,000,000 rounds of US-produced ammunition (in Korea, I understood him to mean.). However, due to US law it cannot be imported.  Interestingly, Mr. Johnson mentioned that many of the import restrictions we have today are a result of lobbying of Congress by American firearms and ammo manufacturers.  (Fill in your own blanks. -Rusty)"

Sounds to Me that a change from congress would be needed.

Congressional action would be required to change the law. 

v/r
MO
"... the most valuable of all talents, that of never using two words where one will do."
-Thomas Jefferson

Maximum Ordinate

Walking thru the CMP armory, they have about 10 workstations to inspect, detail strip, repair, and reassemble rifles - and complete the paperwork. The stations are well-stocked with repair parts and special tooling. Unless it requires welding, they can fix it.  Each armorer can get thru 10-12 Garands per day.

Many of the parts used to fix rifles came from rifles with condemned receivers. They strip every good part off such rifles and squirrel them away for future use. I saw a pallet sized box full of lock bar sights (rare). Nothing goes to waste!

About the class:  In Appleseed, we know what good instruction looks like.  It's not enough to know your craft well.  You have know it so well you can teach it to non-experts.  Chris Hord (from the Custom Shop) and his crew certainly did that and more.

I promised some pics... it took me a bit to get them together!

Meeting 2 Clicks Low from Indiana!

Need a Garand receiver?

Picked out a nice January 1945 receiver & matching bolt (and a matching oprod as well)

Lapping the bolt and receiver together

Installing and timing the barrel

Reaming the chamber with a pull-through reamer

Victory!

Trip the store on Day 2... it's a dangerous place to your wallet!

Assembling the trigger group

Assembling the action, stock, and gas cylinder.

Love it when a plan comes together!

Trigger job (stoning the hammer)

Function firing & first piece of brass!

Live firing!  Three clicks down, one click left and case it!  :D

And since I'm at the range... time to break out the service rifle!

Prone

Seated - my position was breaking down  :(

It was a great three days.  I'd recommend it to anyone!  :-)
-Thomas Jefferson

Crazyduckhunter

Congrats on winning the lottery to you. I went to this course in March. Had an awesome time myself there as well. The knowledge bank from the instructors there is bottom less. It is an opportunity of a life time for sure. Plus now when you do the CMP presentation you have just that little bit more to add to it! I probably have over 300 rounds through my rifle already. Enjoy.

Nashville Stage

I'm jealous. It looks like a really neat class. If you don't mind my asking,  how much does the CMP charge for the class, and does that include the rifle that you build?
"There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't."

Maximum Ordinate

Quote from: Nashville Stage on November 02, 2017, 04:23:38 PM
I'm jealous. It looks like a really neat class. If you don't mind my asking,  how much does the CMP charge for the class, and does that include the rifle that you build?

For 2017, the class price was 1830, including the rifle.  Students are selected by lottery.

In order to run these classes, management shuts down operations in the Custom Shop.  CMP will increase the number of classes offered in 2018 to 14.  Costs & class dates for 2018:  here

QuoteTotal cost for the 2018 AMC will be $1,800 or $2,000, depending upon rifle selection (Field Grade or CMP Special). Breakdown of cost includes a $970 course tuition fee, plus a rifle purchase fee of $830 for Field Grade Specials or $1,030 for CMP Specials. Deadline for class payment will be Jan. 15, 2018.
-Thomas Jefferson