News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

SACRAMENTO, CA OCT 14-15

Started by NorCal22Gal, October 19, 2017, 02:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorCal22Gal

WOW!!!!

What an amazing event! :F

31 on Saturday
27 on Sunday

4 new Riflemen (well 3 Riflemen and 1 Riflewoman)
2 Riflemen requalified
1 new IIT (Welcome Dean) :---
2 new Blue hats (Welcome Holly and Katy) ..:..

The weather was perfect for a fall Appleseed in California.  Mild, low 80's maybe, light breeze.

This group of students turned out to be pretty dang amazing.

They soaked up the information we gave, asked questions, put the information to work with a focus and dedication that I think our Founding Fathers would have been very proud of.

We had awesome history at lunch.
Didn't get any AQT's in on Saturday, but we had groups nicely shrinking.
Ducky told a wonderful 3rd strike to close out the day.

Sunday's review brought more questions and practice.

The first AQT, and our first Rifleman score, Ed, a returning student, shot a 215 to warm up and later shot a 231. 
He was followed by Dan, 216 & 227, Dean 217, Leo 226, Scott 216, and finally Julie with a 212 (I think.  I somehow didn't get Julie;s score.  If it's incorrect please correct me).

Dean accepted an orange hat to complement his growing collection of Project Appleseed T's. ^:)^

It was great to see Scott, an instructor whose work pulled him away for a while, we are hoping hewill be able to come back more.  We missed ya out there!

Brand new to shooting pretty much anything, Holly and her daughter Katy did a great job!!  They are hoping to become part of the Appleseed family as Applecore.

As I said, just an amazing weekend.

Big thanks to all my instructors for coming out.  With out you, I couldn't do this.

Big thanks also to all who were able to stay and help us tear down and clean up. 

Your instructors for the weekend:

Laurie               NorCal22Gal    Shoot Boss
Joe                   eaglescouter
Linda                Ducky
Vinnie               Vinnie
Matt                  Just.A.Guy
Matt                 HeyApple
Chris                clics222
Matthew           scoutcamper

Books:

Paul Revere's Ride
Washington's Crossing

Both by David Hackett-Fischer

Thank you all again.

danfinger

HiHi!
I'd also like to add my thanks to our wonderful Appleseed instructors. They all really made the event a success.

Also PROPS to Holly and Katy. Katy, after taking some hot brass muscled through and showed up for the second day. Definitely in keeping with the perseverance of a true patriot. Much respect.

My second Appleseed, but not my last. Always learning, always trying to keep improving and further the cause of our forefathers- a free nation.

Thanks to our awesome shoot boss Laurie and the rest of the instructors. Never would have gotten my patch without you guys!

And of course:
:pics: :pics: :pics: :pics: :pics: :pics:

Haim Chapaev

I am so fired up about this event.  I thought I was a decent shooter when I arrived on Saturday and immediately felt I was out of my environment.
I should have gotten some patch for asking the most amount of questions during breaks.  I DECIDED THAT I LEARNED MORE ABOUT SHOOTING RIFLES LAST WEEKEND THEN IN MY WHOLE LIFE ALL TOGETHER.  Joe was where I was aiming most of my questions as he struck me as very knowledgeable and pretty sharp as well. He also gave me one priceless correction at a time.  No way for me to catch mistakes like these on my own.
The plan for me is to do homework.  practice for sometime (new 10/22 is waiting in jail for me)  and come back for more.  this is a special type of voodoo I never knew existed.  I always shot prone off of magazine, bipod, bag or whatever.  But shooting with the sling is absolutely magical.
Told my friends I earned a patch and some said they would easily get one with AK.  I told them I'll pay their way to see them do this.  talk is cheap and supply exceeds demand.
Anyway, all the instructors were fantastic and hearing American history is a huge plus. 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmwWBchxHWo

Haim Chapaev

Also, Dean I got you on the video receiving your patch.  Ping me and I will show you where to see this historic event.

Haim Chapaev

giving some worth to the thread :)

Haim Chapaev

danfinger

Ducky

This was an especially great Appleseed--I saw lots of hard work, careful listening, great question-asking and putting those instructions to practice. It's always tremendously rewarding for us as instructors, to watch those shot groups get smaller, the shooting positions become more solid and RELAXED into the slings, the smiles as you guys come back from your targets. Makes the weekend more than worth it to me, so THANK YOU for all you put into it.

Big congrats to our new Riflemen and Riflewoman (someday we'll have patches for us Riflewomen, Julie!), and to our requalifying Riflemen.  It's always great to welcome a new IIT Orange Hat into our family...hope you know what you've signed up for, Dean!  And I thank Holly and Katy for taking Blue Hats to join us as Applecore members.  We will certainly put you all to work, and hopefully you'll agree this is one neat journey.  :cool2:   

It was wonderful working with you all--both shooters and my fellow instructors. And I enjoyed getting to talk with some of you on a more personal level--it's just one more thing I love about Appleseed.

Hope to see you all back really soon!
Freedom, in a political context, means freedom from government coercion. It does not mean freedom from the landlord, or freedom from the employer, or freedom from the laws of nature which do not provide men with automatic prosperity. It means freedom from the coercive power of the state, and nothing else.--Ayn Rand

HeyApple

It was great to see everyone learning and applying what they had learned.  There were so many great questions at this event.  Everyone made great progress.  Congratulations to all of the new and requalified riflemen.

It was a pleasure to work with the instructor staff you are a great group of people.

Hope to see you all next month.

:F

Ducky

Hey everyone--

If you have pictures of our event--and more specifically, of Riflemen getting their patches--Please post them. "Yours Truly" (that's me) was busy scoring AQTs and regrettably dropped the ball on picture taking this time.   :-[

Many thanks, in advance.
Freedom, in a political context, means freedom from government coercion. It does not mean freedom from the landlord, or freedom from the employer, or freedom from the laws of nature which do not provide men with automatic prosperity. It means freedom from the coercive power of the state, and nothing else.--Ayn Rand

eaglescouter

I've got some to post  :F
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

eaglescouter

Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleerâ„¢:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Ducky

stoneknives

Great Event. Congratulations.  O0
"When men's rules are Honorable and Just I will follow them. When I find the laws tolerable, I will tolerate them. When I find the rules obnoxious, I will ignore them. When I find evil imposed or codified, I will War against it. My Lord has made it known and understood to me that to accept the gift of freedom I will alone bear the full responsibility everything I do, or chose not to do." I .......    "This is Appleseed. We are here to restore the Republic. Tyrants, major or petty, need not apply."  I .......

"I stand with the mission, Sir" PHenry

Haim Chapaev

Thanks Joe.  Looking forward to a repeat.