News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Arizona Sound Off!

Started by AZRedhawk44, January 09, 2009, 11:34:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZRedhawk44

Let's go, AZ, I need to hear from you!

If you're an Arizonan and you've got a hat, a patch, or you're shooting around 190+ on the AQT, I want to hear from you in this thread.

Last year we had 4 Appleseeds in AZ.  Since Fred has set the admirable goal of doubling Appleseed every year, that means we are now responsible for bearing the honor of hosting 8 Appleseeds this year.

Yes... 8!

So far, we've got:
1.  Buckeye AZ - March 21/22
2.  Payson AZ - April 18/19

We need to re-register with Ben Avery to get what I hope to be our annual visit there, sometime in October/November.

We REALLY need some boots on the ground in the Tucson area.

It would also be nice to hear from folks in the following areas:
1.  Flagstaff
2.  Show Low
3.  Yuma
4.  Kingman
5.  Page

Why do I want to hear from you?

'Cuz we might just do a little get-together. 

Ya see, Gromit and I need us some extra hands, eyes and brains!  We've got a pair of instructors here in AZ, but we need some IIT's!  Our goal here is to have 2 April 19th sites in Arizona this year, but without more IIT's working the line with Gromit and me at each site... we aren't going to be able to pull that off.

So - I want to hear from you.  I want us to have a little get-together sometime in the next month or so.  A day or a weekend, I'm not sure yet.  I don't think we'll call it a RBC or IBC; let's just call it a gathering of like-minded people.  Those of you shooting Rifleman: I want to get you thinking about putting on the orange hat.  Those of you barking at the door of 210: I want to find your missing component of the six steps or NPOA and get you "patched" and thinking of your orange hat.  And...  if there are any orange hats in hiding, I want to get you out to the line and building practice and confidence in your instructor skills.

So, Arizona:  Let's hear from you!

MOGromit

Might go without saying, but I'll say it anyway.

I'm here  :)

AZGromit - Shoot Boss

Rumpshot

Member Arizona Apple Core.
Appleseeds are formed in the Apple Core.

Wayne Conrad

Oh.  Yeah.  Hi.  Someone woke me up, I think.

New American

This week the President or the secretary of the sportmans club shooting range from Kingman will contact you.
I am hoping we can get a date asap.
I did not practice enough to score over 200 yet... but it's my goal to get there soon.
I am willing to help in setting up the class in Kingman and also to promote at our club a new section, called Riflemen... instead than shooting pigeons or skeets, I am going to promote a bimonthly meeting for all the people that want to practice with the AQT targets in the Appleseed Freds' book how to become a rifleman...
the goal, is to become real riflemen... no sport purposes... just plain citizens able to shoot as riflemen.
If you get together in Phoenix, I would like to come
just keep me updated
thanks
Luca

1911Ron

umm i'm back if you will have me? Not sure where i'm at with the aqt, been rather "distracted" let me know ok?   1911Ron

AZRedhawk44

We'll whip you back into shape, Ron.  Good to hear from you!

I may be hitting Avery this weekend... care to get together?  I've got some AQT's and Redcoats to help work the rust out!

TinCan Assassin

Grand Canyon here.

I know of a pitiful litlle range here in the Kaibab national forest. Don't know if it'll meet you needs, but you can check it out. It's not managed, and it's on Forest Service land, it's just locally known.

TCA
Free men do no ask permission to bear arms.

1911Ron

Tincan, Yes it will do, how big is the firing line/area to shoot, figure about 3' for each shooter(rough guess) what do we need to do to reserve/secure the area.  Is there any thing like porta-pottys or anything near by?  Do we need a use permit?  How far from Flagstaff?  Anything else would help.  BTW i am the State coordinator for Az.  Thanks 1911Ron O0 :)

1911Ron

Oh BTW welcome to the forum  :)  Any and all info on your range will help, oh and here is your bucket to help bail ;D  1911Ron

MOGromit

Hey Ron and TinCan,

Just as a note about the things we've done in AZ to have an Appleseed, Tonopah last year on April 19-20 had the proverbial 5-gallon bucket and seat for the facilities.  Sometimes you just gotta do what'cha gotta do  O0

3' per shooter will work if everyone is friendly, shoot for 4' in case not everyone got the deodorant on in the morning or has issues playing footsie with fellow shooters.

Though why that should get in the way of learning the 6 steps, I'm not certain :)

Some things that we look for:

1) at least a 25m/82 foot distance from the firing line to the target line
2) a berm that is capable of stopping thousands of centerfire rifle rounds
3) 4' per shooter on the firing line for good prone positions, so approximately 175-200' for 50 shooters
4) enough distance from any neighbors so folks don't complain too much :)  If they complain, we'll get them on the firing line too.

Camping is always a plus as an option, or proximity to some hotels if not.

My welcome as will TC!

Thanks,
AZGromit

TinCan Assassin

Quote from: 1911Ron on January 28, 2009, 10:21:15 PM
Tincan, Yes it will do, how big is the firing line/area to shoot, figure about 3' for each shooter(rough guess) what do we need to do to reserve/secure the area.  Is there any thing like porta-pottys or anything near by?  Do we need a use permit?  How far from Flagstaff?  Anything else would help.  BTW i am the State coordinator for Az.  Thanks 1911Ron O0 :)

No porta potties and as for use permits, I've no clue. We're about 80 miles from Flag, 60 miles due north of Williams on SR 64. Anything concerning use permits by large groups would probably go through the Tusayan Ranger office for Kiabab National Forest. It's roughly 7-10 miles south of Tusayan on FSR 347. It's a 100 yd range, but as far as firing line goes, you'll probably have to make your buddy happy. I'll try and guestimate width of the firing line when I go shoot this weekend. Shivering may throw off my POI, but I need to blow off some steam.  :)  :~

BTW, I printed off a "Classification AQT", and would like to know how to shore a hit in the "V" ring, should I get that lucky.

I only score marksman on the Army's pop up range, so I don't expect much... :)

TCA

TinCan Assassin

More info on the Tusayan Range, there are hotels nearby, in Tusayan they primarily service Grand Canyon National Park. The range is out in the woods, about 7 Miles from town, far enough away for noise abatement, I think. It has berms on 4 sides, and It should stop the rounds easy enough, and prevent strays as well, so long as no one does something stupid and shoot over the berm. I shoot my Mosin M44 there and haven't had problems. (That's the rifle I intend to bring, so double up on the hearing protection. It's the only viable rifle I have for an Appleseed, my .22 doesn't eject well, and I only have one mag for it. Sorry guys.)

I'll look for more info on width soon. I don't know if it'll hold 50, but I'll let you know. You're also welcome to come check it out, I'll be glad to show you where it is.

TCA

MOGromit

Hey TC,

Thanks for the additional info.  If you could send any pics that would be good to see.  I'm down in the PHX megalopolis though the Lady Gromit keeps insisting I have to visit the Grand Canyon this year :)

For the V ring, that's still a 5 pointer (silly Romans, "V"?).  It's nominally used to break ties if multiple shooters got the same score, but since Appleseed is about improving yourself and not beating someone else, it's more for your own improvement tracking.

AZG

TinCan Assassin

Perhaps it's a problem with the version I printed, but doing the math on the Classification AQT, I can max out at 200 pts. There are 4 targets, 5 pt highest ring, firing 5 rounds at each target 5X5=25 X4 is100 X2 is 200. Is there supposed to be a fifth target? How can I reach 210?

TCA

MOGromit

Hi TCA,

With the Classification AQT there are two ways to shoot it:

#1 = 2 rounds per target = 8 total rounds on 4 targets

Stages 1, 2 and 3 have max points of 10, Stage 4 has 10, but it's doubled, so 20.

Then 10+10+10+20 = 50, and you *5 = 250 max

#2 = 5 rounds per target = 20 total rounds on 4 targets

Stages 1, 2 and 3 have max points of 25.  Stage 4 has 25, but it's doubled, so 50.

Then 25 + 25 + 25 + 50 = 125, and you *2 = 250 max.

My copy of the Classification AQT has this spelled out on the bottom.

Stage 4 is always doubled, then you multiple by 2 (if you shot 20 rounds) or by 5 (if you shot 8 rounds).

AZG

TinCan Assassin

Ok, now I understand, thank you. :) Too much math. Groks head hurt! %)

TinCan Assassin

Ok, Grand canyon/Tusayan Range info:

100 yd range, and its approximately 24 yards wide from side berm to side berm if you shoot forward of the "firing line" where the picnic table is. Otherwise, you only have about 52 feet to work with. I figure you can use the raised area as a "range tower", rifle cleaning area or other some such. You can maybe accomodate 20 shooters, more if you operate with multiple serials of shooters. But 20 shooters on the line at one time max, I think. Come see for yourself and double check my info. Will have to remove some sagebrush from the area to accomodate prone shooters. Tried to post pics, but forum would not let me.

Hope the info helps.

TCA

AZRedhawk44

Sounds like a cozy little range.

Can you post an address or GPS coordinates for further research?  A road trip may be in order.

TinCan Assassin

Quote from: AZRedhawk44 on February 03, 2009, 11:04:58 AM
Sounds like a cozy little range.

Can you post an address or GPS coordinates for further research?  A road trip may be in order.

GPS as near as I can figure off the Internet is:

35.8624829N 112.139082W

It is just off AZSR 64 going toward Grand Canyon National Park on Forest Service Road 347

Let me know if you come up and I'll meet you.

TinCan Assassin

What's the word, guys? Any other AS Shoots or is Buckeye it for now...

TCA

1911Ron

TCA we have our little get together on Mar 7th, then we have the appleseed on Mar 21-22 at Buckeye then April 18-19 appleseed in Payson.
Hopefuly we can talk about more shoots on Mar 7th, sound good?  1911Ron

TinCan Assassin

Quote from: 1911Ron on February 14, 2009, 10:16:52 AM
TCA we have our little get together on Mar 7th, then we have the appleseed on Mar 21-22 at Buckeye then April 18-19 appleseed in Payson.
Hopefuly we can talk about more shoots on Mar 7th, sound good?  1911Ron

I have drill that weekend. Either way, I am unable to travel beyond the Flagstaff area. I'm not trying to be difficult, or whiney, just can't do it.

PM or E-mail me and maybe we can discuss. I am serious about attending an AS, I just can't go far.

TCA

1911Ron

TCA no worries mate we will work on a shoot up your way, it sounds like where you shoot will work, we may need to come up and see it so we know what we are working with.  Is there any other areas we could use in your area?  Ask around maybe a land owner would donate land for a weekend?  All the good details good backstop, good amount of room etc....    1911Ron