News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

2009 Field Shoot Schedule

Started by wildman, January 08, 2009, 08:54:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wildman

Here it is the 2009 Field Shoot Schedule. This year we will have 7 shoots 4 in the spring and three in fall. The shoots are dedicated to American marksmen that have with their skill as riflemen earned them a place of honor.

In 1775 Dan Morgan raised a company of Riflemen at the direction of the Virginia House of Burgesses with orders to march to Boston and become part of the American forces arrayed their. Morgan required riflemen that wished to join his company to hit with one shoot at 100 yards a picture of a British officer.  Morgans riflemen gave such a good account of them selves they became known as "Morgans Crew."

This year we are going to track the first hit probabilities of the riflemen that attend this years shoots. The top three shooter for the year will receive a trophy in December and become honorary members of "Morgans Crew." I will explain in more detail in another topic how 1st hit probabilities will work.

2009 schedule

February 21th The Timothy Murphy Shoot
March 28st Barksdale's Mississippi Sharpshooters
April 25th Patriots Day
May 16th  Berdan's 1st USSS
Sept 26th WW2 Sniper Course
October 24th  Sgt York
January 9th 2010 Korean War Sniper Course

This schedule is subject to change standby. A one year schedule is like a weather report its good for about three days.
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

wildman

I forgot the beans bullets.

The range fee for fields shoots is $45.00 attend at least 3 paid shoots and shoot the KWSC free.  Wives accompanied by paying husband shoot free or you could say husbands accompanied by paying wives shoot free. Kids accompanied paying adult shoot free. Active duty military shoots free.

Bring your best smoke pole and a couple of hundred rounds ammo. If you want to eat something bring it, same goes for drinks.

Need to camp no problem send me a PM.

We have have room for 18 shooters send me a PM if your coming to insure you spot.
This is my rifle. There are many like it but this one is mine.... "My Rifle" the creed of a US Marine by MG WH Rupertus,USMC

n00b

For the noob's like me, can we get a break down on what each event is? and what type of rifle works best?

I assume the KWSC requires a scoped rifle and the WWII would be easier with a scoped rifle and rest would be best with a typical "battle" rifle.

wildman

There have never been any restrictions on scoped or unscoped rifles. However it is better for the rifleman if he can shoot with iron sights. The targets for the KWSC are set for scoped rifles, they can be very tough at 400+ yards. If someone can qualify at the KWSC with iron, he be the man! I'll bet there are some out that can. The rest of the time a rifle with iron in the hands of a skilled rifleman should be all that is required. It is better if the rifleman does not become too dependent in a scope.

n00b

Wildman,

Sorry for all the questions, but what time do the shoots start, what time would you have us showup?

wildman

Be there ready to go at 09:00 sharp.

Chattcatdaddy

Sgt York shoot? So what exactly is this one about? As a Tennessean I feel the need to come to this event and represent the state. I plan on attending the May AS in Manchester, TN and hopefully follow it up the a little Sgt York. :~
Thomas Jefferson: "The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed."

wildman

The Alvin York Shoot is in honor of a great American Rifleman and yes you should come.  The COF at the field shoots are all very much the same except for the WW2 Sniper Course and the Korean War Sniper Course. We get started at 9:00 sharp with actual range zeros. Many of you don't have 500 yard ranges so getting zeros at actual range is difficult. Hint Come with all the range data possible from your home ranges even if that is only 100 or 200 yards. We can only devote a couple of hours to zeros then we have to move on. After zero fire you have the opportunity to engage silhouette targets at ranges from 200 to 500 yards. Check out some of the other posts on this forum that ought to give you a pretty good idea of what to expect.

See the thread "What is a Field Shoot?" http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=5687.0

Old Dog

Well, looks like the Dec. shoot is the same weekend as my last scheduled Appleseed for 2009.

Double darn!!!

Wildman, it looks like that conversation we had just before I left won't go anywhere anyway.

Oh well.  Maybe next year I'll get that "4th one free" shoot.

Have a good one.

I can tell you that Carl is really pumped up now after shooting the groups he did at 200, 300 and 400 yds. and knocking down all those 460 yd. pop ups.  Nothing like a known distance/pop up shoot to show you all that 25 meter training/practice really does work.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle